Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:20 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,709,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdysMom View Post
Well, I'm an old fart and I don't have a teenager mentality and I love Austin. I love that I can go into a restaurant dressed in shorts and flip flops and sit beside someone in a suit and tie and neither of us feels out of place. I love the local shops, and meeting friendly people. I definitely think it is cool, and I'm really happy I have lived here for more years that I care to say. If you love music, local shopping, college football, tailgating, and lots of other outdoor activities, then I think you'll like Austin. I would feel out of place in Dallas or Houston - the women "dress" to go out, have big hair, and get their nails done. That's definitely not me! LOL!
No, they "dress" more in Dallas. There are places all over the Houston area where people go dressed as you describe and sit next to people who are more dressed up. I like Austin too, but having lived in Houston I just wanted to mention that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 08:28 PM

197 posts, read 613,114 times
I am going to have to check out Dallas and Houston as well!

Old 06-10-2010, 12:12 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,199,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeAustinite View Post
riaelise is spot on here. A good job here is hard to get. There is stiff competition. It would be best to find a job first before you move here.
Good advice!

Old 06-10-2010, 01:57 PM

17 posts, read 74,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
On everything you read, Austin is cool. People want to move there. There are supposedly jobs being created, at least better than most places in the country. It's progressive, cool, and hip, with warm weather, decent cost-of-living, and lots of stuff to do. My guess is that I'd like Austin because my hobbies seem include walking/hiking, shopping at market-type/local places, and college football (with tailgating and beer of course.) I'm a late-20s guy who likes blending some progressive stuff with traditional American pastimes.

But... my question is... is it really worth it? Would it be a good place to really look for a job, or are too many people moving there because it's supposedly cool? I'm thinking about looking in Austin but because I'm far away (Michigan), I'm wondering if I should even bother.
I think the decision has a lot to do with what industry you are in. Austin has plenty of openings for those in the tech, computers, research, etc. Austin is also very "progressive, cool, and hip," but also young and liberal as well. Austin is like a blue dot in a red state. Warm weather, but very hot during the summer months. Some cool things Austin is that it does have a strong college town feel. The influence of University of Texas is scene all over town with burnt orange gear, expecially during football season. There are also lots of local shops, cafes, bars, restaurants that are more popular than the chain restaurants and shops (which I think are totally boring), thus a strong movement to support local business. But perhaps Austin's biggest thing is local live music. There are many large outdoor fesitivals featuring different types of music; mainly alternative, rock, folk, Texas style country, as well as mainstream artists. My favorite thing about being in Austin is the access to many outdoor activities like running, hiking, rowing, kayaking, etc. If you come here, check out lady bird lake for running, rowing, biking, and kayaking. There's also the Barton Creek Greenbelt, Barton Springs pool, Lake Travis, and Zilker Park. The Oasis also has amazing views (but the food isn't that great) of Lake Travis and the hills surrounding it. Mt. Bonnell has great views as well. Don't listen to the negative people on here. They probably just don't get out much or something. LOL. There are other cities in Texas and I've lived in some of them also but Austin just can't be beat! It's like a city built inside a large green park. A lot of the other cities are big but don't have as many options for someone who is looking to be active outdoors (hiking, running, water sports, etc). But this is a big move, so I would honestly suggest visiting for a weekend or something. Based on what you said your hobbies are, then Austin looks like a great place for you. Hope this helps.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:41 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,972,572 times
Luke come on. Stop with the exaggerations. Austin is your typical Texas town. The UT Austin students are conservative. They come from small Texas towns and bring their prejudices with them. Alcohol and drug abuse is horrible. It's sad to see alcoholism and drug abuse at such a young age. There is no excuse for it. Even if you are in college. And I don't consider that progressive behavior. Criminal behavior yes. The city and university are severely segregated by race and pseudo-elitism. You'd think you were in the 1950s. If you are a racial or ethnic minority be prepared to be the only brown or tan person at social gatherings. And people still glare suspiciously at colored people like they did in 1950s. Just because people vote Democrat doesn't mean anything. Research limousine liberalism. And you'll get a perfect idea. ie: Yes we are for gay marriage. But if a gay man wants to be my friend, then he has another thing coming.

There are not plenty of job openings in computers and technology. Any large town has restaurant chains and stores. That isn't unique to Austin. You can cycle and hike anywhere else in Texas too. El Paso, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Alpine, etc. You can even go to small cities in New Mexico and enjoy equal if not more mother nature: http://newmexicoindependent.com/wp-c...July406011.jpg

The outdoor festivities are all the same. Food, running, weirdos, and bats. Food, running, weirdos, and bats. It's like a merry-go-round of banality. And there is virtually no artist community. So don't get an artist's hopes up. An artist thrives in huge cities where they can network and enmesh themselves into large and varying communities of artists.

I'm just being realistic. If you like white Anglo Texas culture, politics, and college football. Then you will love Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeag3103 View Post
Austin has plenty of openings for those in the tech, computers, research, etc. Austin is also very "progressive, cool, and hip," but also young and liberal as well. Austin is like a blue dot in a red state. Some cool things Austin is that it does have a strong college town feel. The influence of University of Texas is scene all over town with burnt orange gear, expecially during football season. There are also lots of local shops, cafes, bars, restaurants that are more popular than the chain restaurants and shops (which I think are totally boring), thus a strong movement to support local business. But perhaps Austin's biggest thing is local live music. There are many large outdoor fesitivals featuring different types of music; mainly alternative, rock, folk, Texas style country, as well as mainstream artists. My favorite thing about being in Austin is the access to many outdoor activities like running, hiking, rowing, kayaking, etc. If you come here, check out lady bird lake for running, rowing, biking, and kayaking. There's also the Barton Creek Greenbelt, Barton Springs pool, Lake Travis, and Zilker Park. The Oasis also has amazing views (but the food isn't that great) of Lake Travis and the hills surrounding it. Mt. Bonnell has great views as well. Don't listen to the negative people on here. They probably just don't get out much or something. LOL. There are other cities in Texas and I've lived in some of them also but Austin just can't be beat! It's like a city built inside a large green park. A lot of the other cities are big but don't have as many options for someone who is looking to be active outdoors (hiking, running, water sports, etc). But this is a big move, so I would honestly suggest visiting for a weekend or something. Based on what you said your hobbies are, then Austin looks like a great place for you. Hope this helps.

Last edited by artsyguy; 06-10-2010 at 03:15 PM..

Old 06-10-2010, 04:40 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,764,957 times
"If you are a mature adult that enjoys lavish art communities...."

Artsy guy, you might discover that a lot of adults define mature adult behavior much differently than you do. You sound like a narrow minded snob that should live somewhere else.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:42 PM

"They come from small Texas towns and bring their prejudices with them."

Artsy guy, have you ever even been to Austin?

EVERYBODY "brings their prejudices with them" regardless of where they came from. Even you.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Yes, I suppose you are correct. What do we need with high end malls like Northpark, Highland Park Village, Galleria, Shops at Willowbend, Stonebriar, Collin Creek, Valleyview. (just to name a few). Austin has the ultimate hillbilly Lakeline Mall and that pathetic barton creek mall. I normally refer to that as the shoddy Dallas area mall immitator. I think people who walk in that mall "THINK" they are high end Dallas people.
I never go to malls, so can't comment on the quality of Austin malls. However, I find it strange that you think malls are a good way to judge a city.

People who shop in malls are quite normal. I doubt that they pretend to be anything other than mall shoppers. And I don't know anybody in Austin who tries to be like a Dallas person or a Houston person. Most of us just enjoy the city as it is.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:32 PM

580 posts, read 1,082,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Luke come on. Stop with the exaggerations.
Okay okay I know I said I'd leave artsyguy alone, but I'm sorry I just gotta highlight one more thing.

"Stop with the exaggerations."

"Artsy"guy, that sentence is probably the single most hypocritical thing I've ever read by you! What exactly do you call the rest of your post?, if not exaggerations, and gross exaggerations at that. That all UT students come from small towns and are racist? That alcohol and drug abuse are rampant? That Austin belongs as the setting for To Kill a Mockingbird? I'd say the only bird worth mocking here is you, man. Sure, a lot of people here do have alcohol problems and hold racist beliefs. And you know what? There's people like that EVERYFREAKINGWHERE. And I can assure you, it's not like there's any higher percentage of them in Austin than in any other city in Texas. If you've really spent any kind of time in this area, you'd know that.
Anyway, that's all I have to say. Not beating this dead horse any more.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:16 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,972,572 times
I'm so glad we could agree on something. I sent a friend request. Take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
Sure, a lot of people here do have alcohol problems and hold racist beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin