Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:50 PM

13 posts, read 39,333 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am an American from New York City that is considering moving to several countries. Australia is one of them. I am of mixed Asian and White Heritage and look Eur-Asian or White AND Chinese.

My questions are the following:

1. Will I be seen be Australians as an Asian, an American, or both?

2. For the Australians who are racist aganist nonwhites, are they as racist aganist mixed race people or non-whites from other Western Countries? In other words, would they view an African or Asian American from the US, the same as a Immigrant from Africa or China?

2. What is the Business and Entrepreneurial culture like of Australia? What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a business career in Australia compared to the United States ( in particular New York City)?

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 10:35 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidmacintosh View Post
Hello,

I am an American from New York City that is considering moving to several countries. Australia is one of them. I am of mixed Asian and White Heritage and look Eur-Asian or White AND Chinese.

2. For the Australians who are racist aganist nonwhites, are they as racist aganist mixed race people or non-whites from other Western Countries? In other words, would they view an African or Asian American from the US, the same as a Immigrant from Africa or China?

2. What is the Business and Entrepreneurial culture like of Australia? What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a business career in Australia compared to the United States ( in particular New York City)?

Thanks
hmm

ok:

1: You'll have an American accent, so will probably be viewed as an Asian American

2: I am not a racist, but think you would not experience racism, that a new immigrant from China/Asia might experience. - and that is mostly because you can speak English.

if you settle in Sydney or Melbourne, which are very multicultural I will be suprised if you have any issues at all.

3. probably our small population, hence our smaller market is the biggest disadvantage.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:10 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,973,693 times
If you look Asian, you will kinda stand out. I traveled Syndey, Alice Springs, Darwin, and Cairns. I come from a Middle Eastern background however most people think I'm Italian and I kinda stood out. Not as much in Cairns. Nothing happen to me but I could tell I stood out...maybe because I was an obvious American...maybe due to both reasons.

There are alot of Asian tourist who travel Australia. From what I was able to get from the locals, they find them a bit annoying so people may think you are a tourist more often.

I loved Australia and every so often think about possibly moving down there if things do not work out for me in California. Can't really say anything bad quite honestly.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:55 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times

There is no way in Sydney or Melbourne being Asian is cause to stand out.

Darwin & Alice Springs maybe -

Looking Italian, again you wouldn't stand out & even in Sydney or Melbourne being middle eastern ... isn't rare.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:27 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,862,609 times
Darwin. There's Asians in Darwin. It's practically in Asia. I like Darwin.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:31 AM

991 posts, read 1,770,331 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks
As an Asian Australian your not likely to stand out as an Asian. There is a lot more separateness in the US where people feel like they need to separate themselves. As a yank they are going to make fun of you more as a yank than an Asian. You will find that in the workplace there is not so much of an issue of you being Asian and there is no need to force your diversity down everyone elses throat.

If your going to start a business things are a little more conservative in Australia so if your looking for equity and stuff its a little harder to come by. The legal protections are still there though.

If you make an effort to fit in no one is going to single you out (unless you really head out to the equivalent of Alabama).

Old 07-21-2010, 11:27 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks
Sounds like you have never been to Australia, so before you pack your saddlebags, I'd take a long trip down there to visit and see. It's a very different culture and with some small exceptions you will find little of the NYC business culture and those types of people.

I don't think you'll find too much in the way of racism, unless you make a big deal out of it, then you'll get some kickback on it.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:46 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks
I'm Asian and white and moved from NY to Oz to Canada and back stateside.

1. Yank. Esp. when you open your mouth and talk. Most people will ask first (if they are curious) if you are Canadian.
2. You won't need to worry about racism, no more so than in the US or Canada.
2. Small population, far away from main population centres. Not good. Many of my mates from business school want to work outside Oz for more plentiful and better quality of career opportunities. There is a reason why NY, London, etc. attract the brightest business professionals.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:41 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAussie View Post
Darwin. There's Asians in Darwin. It's practically in Asia. I like Darwin.
Darwin is the most Asian of the capitals. It was practically founded by Japanese, Fillipinos, Chinese, Indonesians and others, as were some other northern towns like Broome.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:13 AM

790 posts, read 1,733,444 times
I don't think you'll have much of an issue. Australia hasn't seen wide-spread anti-east Asian racism since the glory days of Pauline Hanson. That said, we're like America in that you may see pockets of it if you're unfortunate enough. Even then, you'd probably slip under the radar being Eurasian. To be honest, I think you'd have a better chance of experiencing anti-Americanism.

Quote:
What is the Business and Entrepreneurial culture like of Australia?
Obviously not always the case, but as a generalization, it's awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand