Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 06:58 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Nope, morals reflect both league and Rules, a good night out with a union team does not include a young lass leaving in am ambulance.
Having an audience while one gets in on with a young lady has never been part of the code of any union team I played with.
We can expect to see the same number of Surgeons in Rules as one gets in union, I have some doubts about that.
Rules players doing a degree in leisure studies are they ?

The players might have some smarts about them. Clearly the supporters don't.

List of rugby union incidents - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To the OP:
Yes, Aussie Rules has made some inroads to expanding in Queensland and NSW, with an extra team being introduced this year in QLD, and another next year in Western Sydney

It is played in all states & territories at some point throughout the year(professional games). I don't think NRL/Union stages any games in Tasmania, or NT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 07:06 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,865 times
Interesting posts, it seems that AFL has had better penetration than NRL, wonder why that is?

Probably a better question would be which Grand Final is more watched nationwide?

Admittedly, as a Yank both games escape me.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Interesting posts, it seems that AFL has had better penetration than NRL, wonder why that is?

Probably a better question would be which Grand Final is more watched nationwide?

Admittedly, as a Yank both games escape me.
AFL has been better administered recently. The sport originated in Melbourne, and for some reason Melbournians are sports crazy. They are especially nuts for Aussie Rules. There are 4/5 games on each weekend in Melbourne, with average crowds of about 40,000 for each (anything less would raise eyebrows)

IMO the sport grew in Brisbane / QLD due to the masses of Victorians that moved there, especially late 80's/90's... It has always been very popular in Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania & Northern Territory.

The AFL grand final would be more watched.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:02 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Definitely footie, definitely AFL Grand Final.

If you drive down the streets during the AFL Grand Final it's like you've suddenly found yourself in one of those sci-fi post-apocalypse movies where all the people have mysteriously disappeared or been transported to another dimension.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:26 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,865 times
Would that be the case in Sydney too?

I would assume that after the big hurrah of their team winning a championship in so long (how long was it again?) there would be a decent following.

I recently checked and it seems that there is no NRL team outside of QLD, NSW, Melbourne and the Capital Territory.

Interesting Dichotomy.

In America all big 3 leagues are well followed. Hockey is most popular in the North however.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:

I would assume that after the big hurrah of their team winning a championship in so long (how long was it again?) there would be a decent following.

I recently checked and it seems that there is no NRL team outside of QLD, NSW, Melbourne and the Capital Territory.

Interesting Dichotomy.

In America all big 3 leagues are well followed. Hockey is most popular in the North however.
Vichel is spot on ...

Most of my gf's enjoy a day of shopping on Grand Final day as the streets are empty.

In Sydney for AFL grand final there isn't as much interest. Interest did spike after Sydney won, there is a decent following but not massive. They would average around 28,000 - 30,000 (at a guess) for a game...which is more than the league teams average in Sydney.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:39 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Quote:

Interesting Dichotomy.

Sydney is to Rugby League as What Melbourne is to the AFL, the vast majority of the teams in the national league competition are based in Sydney. Sydney is the power base and the money behind rugby league, hosts all the gradfinals etc. I cant speak for Sydney, but certainly in Brisbane even when the Lions (ALF Team) were "Roaring" and won three premierships in a row. The sponsorship money, TV ratings etc the Lions attracted was still very inferior to the Brisbane Broncos Rugby League Team, the atttendance at matches however was and still is very even between the Broncos and the Lions.

New South Wales and Queensland were traditional Rugby states and the Rest AFL. Why it developed this way i dont know. Over the last 2 decades both the AFL and NRL have made attempts to make the game national. The AFL have just done a better job.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 01-19-2011 at 11:00 PM..

Old 01-19-2011, 11:30 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Definitely footie, definitely AFL Grand Final.

If you drive down the streets during the AFL Grand Final it's like you've suddenly found yourself in one of those sci-fi post-apocalypse movies where all the people have mysteriously disappeared or been transported to another dimension.
Granted this is still much less so in Bris or Syd.

Btw it's footy not footie .

Old 01-19-2011, 11:38 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Sydney is to Rugby League as What Melbourne is to the AFL, the vast majority of the teams in the national league competition are based in Sydney. Sydney is the power base and the money behind rugby league, hosts all the gradfinals etc. I cant speak for Sydney, but certainly in Brisbane even when the Lions (ALF Team) were "Roaring" and won three premierships in a row. The sponsorship money, TV ratings etc the Lions attracted was still very inferior to the Brisbane Broncos Rugby League Team, the atttendance at matches however was and still is very even between the Broncos and the Lions.

New South Wales and Queensland were traditional Rugby states and the Rest AFL. Why it developed this way i dont know. Over the last 2 decades both the AFL and NRL have made attempts to make the game national. The AFL have just done a better job.
I have a book that devotes a chapter to this very question. In a nutshell, the book argues it was mostly a case of simple geography: Melbourne had many areas of flat parklands which were well suited to the free-flowing, expansive nature of the game. Many of the earliest football matches were played for up to a day or days over grounds that stretched a kilometre or more. Probably also explains the laxity when it comes to the dimension of the grounds: there are limits but no regulated dimensions for Aussie rules ovals.

In contrast, the Sydney area was hillier and lacked the wide open spaces hence better suited to rugby. Also it was kind of a chance thing it happened in Melbourne, where the aborigines had a similar sort of game. The Yarra parklands where the MCG now stands is indeed where the modern Aussie rules game began and was codified back in the 1850s, making it older than soccer or American football/gridiron.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:41 PM

30 posts, read 59,191 times
AFL? League?

At playing level, the most played sport in Australia is football (soccer). AFL and League generate the largest crowds professionally, but that is only because Football was relatively low stream until the 2006 world cup. At the rate that it is going though, with the amount of kids that are getting into Football, Australia's number 1 sport will be Football.

AFL is big in Victoria I believe. Though where I am from in Sydney no one knows much about the game. I like what someone else mentioned.. AFL was created to keep the cricket players fit during the off season Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand