Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:07 PM

317 posts, read 528,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Dating between white/Maori young women and Asians, it does happen but as one Asian bloke told me it sucks to be 5' 5" and trying to do a chat up.
My niece is going out with a Chinese Kiwi, but he is around 5' 11".
I know women are strange,why height matters so much to them I have yet to work out.
Generally speaking a man being taller gives the lady a sense of protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:10 PM

317 posts, read 528,229 times
Out of curiosity, in Oz i've never actually seen Maori's and Pacific Islanders get picked on like the Asians do.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:23 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa71 View Post
Out of curiosity, in Oz i've never actually seen Maori's and Pacific Islanders get picked on like the Asians do.
Given the size of many of them, I'm not surprised.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:56 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Dating between white/Maori young women and Asians, it does happen but as one Asian bloke told me it sucks to be 5' 5" and trying to do a chat up.
My niece is going out with a Chinese Kiwi, but he is around 5' 11".
I know women are strange,why height matters so much to them I have yet to work out.
Just watch a few David Attenborough documentaries...although that doesn't tell the whole story.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:19 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,121 times
Quote:
As the joke goes, how lucky are you feeling
Google Image Result for http://wesclark.com/rrr/black_wall.jpg

Old 03-25-2011, 05:26 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,603,722 times
I know Chinese people that said they experienced racism there.
But then, it exists everywhere!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zulEM...layer_embedded

Old 03-06-2012, 09:57 PM

474 posts, read 495,845 times
Quote:
Yeah but Bruce lee was only 5'7" and could kick multiple taller guys at one go.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
I'm seeing a lot of taller Asian guys - and girls - because of students/immigrants from the PRC and Korea. You see groups of them where they are all over 6 feet or close to it, which doesn't surprise me because people in northern China are noticeably taller than those in the South.

Historically Asian immigration has been from Southern China and Southeast Asia, who are short in comparison.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:26 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
So which of the two antipodean nations has a friendlier attitude to Asia and Asian people? Is it Australia or is it New Zealand?
I don't think there would be a significant difference between the way Asians are treated in both countries...on the whole relations are pretty harmonious. I get the impression that NZ is politically more progressive than Australia though I'm not sure whether this translates into the feelings of the general populace. Overall I'd think that NZ and Australia are pretty similar.

Quote:
Please tell me your reasons why you think that way. And when you post please take into account the following when making the comparisons:
Quote:
1) General public attitudes towards Asia as a whole.
It depends on the person really, how well-travelled/exposed they are, they're particular generation, city v. rural etc...overall I'd say the perception is mildly positive. Its certainly much improved from say 50 years ago where people looked very suspiciously to the 'yellow peril' to the north and it wasn't until the 1970's that the White Australia policy was fully dismantled.

Quote:
2) The establishment's (gov't, business, media, etc) attitudes toward said region and group of people
The government and business since the 60's/70's have been very supportive of friendly relations with Asia seeing that as vital to our national prosperity. The media is generally OK besides the odd populist tabloid program, though you still don't see many Asian faces on TV, this has been changing quite a bit though in recent years.

Quote:
3) How do people in either nation view and treat the Asians in their midst, like the tourists or residents in general?
In the major cities most people are used to it now. You do hear the odd person complain about there being too many Asians in the city, its not usually that serious though but it might come as a shock to hear it from more sensitive cutures.

Personally, I've had two experiences of overt racism in Perth, one guy screaming out of a car and another woman who made some smart-arse comment, after which her daughter walked straight through two Muslim women using her arms to shove them to the side . Its certainly not an everyday thing though.

Quote:
4) How well integrated are resident ethnic Asian communities in Australian or New Zealand society in general?
Quote:
a) How are their job prospects
No worse than anyone else. There are Asians in all income brackets and in most professions.

Quote:
b) Their levels of social integration
Generally good, more so if Australian-born. People sometimes ask Asian looking people who were born here 'where are they from' its not malicious but probably a result of a significant Australian born Asian population having not been around for that long.

Quote:
c) The dating scene for Asian males and females in either country?
Guys might find it more difficult though then girls as others have said its more common to see a White guy with an Asian girl.

Quote:
d) Reception to Asian culture among the people in both places...
I think a lot of people are very receptive to it, when I went to the Chinese New Year fair here in Perth the crowd was majority white and people were having a good time. People generally like Asian food as well which helps to bridge any divides that exist.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 AM

When I was 6 or 7 I remember one girl called me 'ching chong', as kids do - but that still fixed itself in my memory. I've witnessed such examples of verbal racism - I think it was more prevalent in the past but you still hear it now and again here. Recently a girl yelled 'go back to China' to a group of Asian students out of a car. I've been the 'target' a few times...sometimes they'd talk gibberish to you, imagining that's what Chinese sounds...probably harmless, but pretty annoying/can put a damper on your day. Also I can take a joke, but I've heard enough Jackie Chan references to last a lifetime. I imagine anyone with a thin skin might take this to heart. Most recently - and again an incident involving a female (not targeting women it's just these incidents stand out) who directed the most graphic racial slurs at a young Asian student at the bus stop. I won't tell the whole story, but it was pretty ugly. These people are the exception, though, but when you encounter this sort of thing it really can make a place subjectively feel unwelcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand