Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:30 PM

22 posts, read 81,497 times

Advertisements

I live in United States of America with my wife, we're in our 30s - and we are thinking of relocating to Australia. Would anyone please let us know if Australia Beaches are appropriate for people with Rheumatoid Arthritis - are there any people that do have Arthritis that can give us some advice? Will the high humidity affect arthritis sufferers? What are the best locations to live in Australia region? We hope to find a big city-like environment (something like New York City), but want the city to be closed to the Ocean. Any recommendations as far as which city is the best? I'll appreciate any answers... and thank you so much. We really want to come there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 10:58 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,030,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindn3ss View Post
I live in United States of America with my wife, we're in our 30s - and we are thinking of relocating to Australia. Would anyone please let us know if Australia Beaches are appropriate for people with Rheumatoid Arthritis - are there any people that do have Arthritis that can give us some advice? Will the high humidity affect arthritis sufferers? What are the best locations to live in Australia region? We hope to find a big city-like environment (something like New York City), but want the city to be closed to the Ocean. Any recommendations as far as which city is the best? I'll appreciate any answers... and thank you so much. We really want to come there.
Oz is not all humid. Adelaide is a pretty dry mediterranean climate. I have no idea if humidity make arthritis worse or better. But if you need a dry climate. I'd check Adelaide or Perth. If humidity is a bother, avoid Darwin NT and pretty much Queensland. Sydneysiders and Melbournians can comment on their cities. I found Syd and Mel humid but nowhere near what I experienced on the top end. And I can't comment on Tassie.. I need to get there.

And you won't find a city like NYC in Oz. Sydney is the largest city and its nowhere near the size of NY.. do a google.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:27 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,491,234 times
A website I googled suggests that the best climate for RA sufferers is warm, dry places such as Arizona, southern Nevada, southern Utah, California, Texas and parts of New Mexico. Australia does have some warm, dry areas, but none of them are even remotely near any sizable cities.

You can't just up and relocate here either. You have to obtain the right kind of visa - and it's easier said than done.

A friend of mine has RA and she is badly affected by high humidity - it seems to be par for the course.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:07 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,030,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
A website I googled suggests that the best climate for RA sufferers is warm, dry places such as Arizona, southern Nevada, southern Utah, California, Texas and parts of New Mexico. Australia does have some warm, dry areas, but none of them are even remotely near any sizable cities.

You can't just up and relocate here either. You have to obtain the right kind of visa - and it's easier said than done.

A friend of mine has RA and she is badly affected by high humidity - it seems to be par for the course.
true and you have to pass a health exam as well..

South Australia has a pretty dry climate which might be best suited for the OP

Old 02-26-2011, 10:13 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,016,732 times
@OP,

Can I ask why you're wanting to leave America? Pretty much EVERYTHING is SO MUCH CHEAPER in USA, with A LOT MORE OPPORTUNITIES. it's gonna be hard even to make ends meet here. American suburbs are much more developed than Aussie equivalents.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post

It makes sense about relocating there based on that kind of type of visa. Everything'll be done legally.

Thank you for the notes regarding the RA friend. That is exactly what I'm afraid of... and we're thinking of first visiting Australia, than - if things are right we'll settle down there. If not, we'll get back to the USA.

I appreciate your answers.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Oz is not all humid. Adelaide is a pretty dry mediterranean climate. I have no idea if humidity make arthritis worse or better. But if you need a dry climate. I'd check Adelaide or Perth. If humidity is a bother, avoid Darwin NT and pretty much Queensland. Sydneysiders and Melbournians can comment on their cities. I found Syd and Mel humid but nowhere near what I experienced on the top end. And I can't comment on Tassie.. I need to get there.

And you won't find a city like NYC in Oz. Sydney is the largest city and its nowhere near the size of NY.. do a google.
Too bad no city like NYC exist in Australia... That's kind of bad. We might need to reconsider relocating there, and find something else than. Thanks for the reply... really appreciated.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
true and you have to pass a health exam as well..

South Australia has a pretty dry climate which might be best suited for the OP

OP? Also - I don't have major issues with R/A. I'm just kind of proactively planning on moving somewhere that I know it won't in future make my "health certificate invalid". I want to keep up with being healthy and strong boy.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
@OP,

Can I ask why you're wanting to leave America? Pretty much EVERYTHING is SO MUCH CHEAPER in USA, with A LOT MORE OPPORTUNITIES. it's gonna be hard even to make ends meet here. American suburbs are much more developed than Aussie equivalents.
I'm from Europe, and the USA does not really suit me. People are way different than what I'm used to, and I thought I'll give it a try to Australia also as I heart people there are way different. Hopefully that's truth.

I just cannot stand the USA - everybody thinks the USA gives you honey and milk. It is indeed - I managed in less than 4-5 years to get 2 houses, I have great job and car and all that one needs. I'm not happy though... I rather be limited with having things, but happy having nice people around. It's part of my native country's culture (Romania).

Friends here are really real friends. Many of people here try to hunt for their own pockets all the time, for their own interest.
We're kind of people that cares for others, and I cannot stand things I see here.

No offense to any USA people. I'm talking from experience, and just trying to settle down with my family for a better life.

OK - now I should stop cause I believe I started talking too much already.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:07 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,175,262 times
There aren't a lot of choices if you're looking for a dry, warm, Mediterranean climate near a NYC type of city that's outside the US. Here's a map of Mediterranean environments around the world. As you can see, there aren't a lot of them. And while there are more desert environments, much of that is inhospitable and not near a major city.

File:ClimateMap World.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I assume you're looking for an English-speaking country? Based on that, maybe Perth, Australia might be a possibility but, while Perth is sometimes compared to San Diego, no one is going to mistake it for New York City.

If you're not necessarily looking for an English-speaking place, there's always southern Spain, Portugal and Italy or Santiago, Chile, where I know there is a growing ex-pat presence from fed-up Americans. (There's an English-language site for Americans considering moving or having just moved to Chile, allchile.net) but, again, you're not going to have an NYC type of city and I have no idea how easy it is for Americans to pack up and move there.

Based simply on weather, some of the major South African cities might be candidates but crime is an issue there.

Last edited by TrueDat; 02-27-2011 at 09:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand