Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 03:55 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times

Advertisements

Is it me, or are Australians less friendly now than 20 years ago? This applies mainly to big cities but also smaller towns. If I go for a walk in the suburbs perhaps 1 in 10 people will say 'g'day' (mostly older folk, no surprise) for example. Also, people in the past seemed to take out more time to help you out, and didn't seem as rushed. Maybe it's the rose-tinted glasses, but Aussies aren't really any different to people in more populous, busy nations these days. People don't see to smile that much anymore, and standing in a checkout or something it seems everyone is just glaring at me (although that's probably my insecurity).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 04:13 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Hard to say. I got sucker punched off of a bar stool in Sydney 35 years ago...

Old 04-18-2011, 04:31 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,732,577 times
I would say there is little difference to 20 years ago, but possibly 30 years was another story.
I think the culture changed in the mid to late-80's, and people became more snobby, selfish and indifferent to those around them.
It is also a complete myth that country people are friendlier than city people. They may say G'day, but keep there distance beyond basic pleasantries, often because they don't know how.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
I would say there is little difference to 20 years ago, but possibly 30 years was another story.
I think the culture changed in the mid to late-80's, and people became more snobby, selfish and indifferent to those around them.
It is also a complete myth that country people are friendlier than city people. They may say G'day, but keep there distance beyond basic pleasantries, often because they don't know how.
Interesting, just going by TV etc the 1970s and 80s don't really seem like a very friendly time, while the 50s are portrayed as being very friendly but also ignorant/racist/sexist.etc.

Country folk will tend to say g'day etc more, and I do notice more smiles and less frowns vs the city, but it also depends alot on where in the country you are and locals vs refugees from the big smoke.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:32 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
I think this is a worldwide phenomenon and not isolated to a few countries. Generally, according to sociologists anyway, as a society advances technologically, the rat race gets bigger, and people will generally shut themselves out from anyone else. We go from a Gemeinschaft type society to a Gesellschaft type. It's part of the evolutionary process of society. TVs and cell phones also serve to disconnect people more and more. I don't know about over there but here in the U.S., all I ever see is 20 somethings and teens just twiddling their thumbs away on their cell phones, being oblivious to what's going on around them. No one talks anymore, people just tweet and text all day long as their form of communication.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:14 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,730,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think this is a worldwide phenomenon and not isolated to a few countries. Generally, according to sociologists anyway, as a society advances technologically, the rat race gets bigger, and people will generally shut themselves out from anyone else. We go from a Gemeinschaft type society to a Gesellschaft type. It's part of the evolutionary process of society. TVs and cell phones also serve to disconnect people more and more. I don't know about over there but here in the U.S., all I ever see is 20 somethings and teens just twiddling their thumbs away on their cell phones, being oblivious to what's going on around them. No one talks anymore, people just tweet and text all day long as their form of communication.
Same here. Ambling along, oblivious to where they're going, or whose way they're getting in. Everyone else is supposed to do the dodging and weaving around them because they're off in tweet land, boring everyone with the minutiae of their lives. I wish they'd move to the side.

As far as the topic, I have found that Australians will have almost a wariness towards a stranger who goes up to them. And it can take a minute or so before they warm up. I find Americans and Canadians thaw out much quicker, and many don't even need to defrost in the first place, they're warm right off.

Out in the burbs, older people will almost always say good morning or hello when you pass them on the sidewalk. By "older", I mean 40's and up. It seems the older they are, the friendlier and more talkative they are. Dog owners in the park are naturally very friendly and approachable.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:18 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,120,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Hard to say. I got sucker punched off of a bar stool in Sydney 35 years ago...
these days you'd get glassed

I dunno Trimac, I kinda agree with you.

Growing up in outer south eastern suburbs of Melbourne, when I'd go for a walk, passing someone else always a "hello" was said, people were more patient, kind etc.

Living in inner Sydney - I don't know my neighbours, I had one old couple across from me (70+)- the wife was struggling a little & was shocked when I offered to carry her shopping in for her - even more shocked when I pointed out where I lived, and let them know if they need anything to just let me know.... she said she'd lived in the building for a long time and no one had even said hello let alone offered to help. Quite sad.

Regarding shopping & being at checkout.... the cashiers don't even say "how are you" anymore...

Old 04-19-2011, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
these days you'd get glassed

I dunno Trimac, I kinda agree with you.

Growing up in outer south eastern suburbs of Melbourne, when I'd go for a walk, passing someone else always a "hello" was said, people were more patient, kind etc.

Living in inner Sydney - I don't know my neighbours, I had one old couple across from me (70+)- the wife was struggling a little & was shocked when I offered to carry her shopping in for her - even more shocked when I pointed out where I lived, and let them know if they need anything to just let me know.... she said she'd lived in the building for a long time and no one had even said hello let alone offered to help. Quite sad.

Regarding shopping & being at checkout.... the cashiers don't even say "how are you" anymore...
Yes, even when you strike up a yarn with old ladies they think you are a really charming young person, which is a nice feeling, but I definitely get the impression they feel they are ignored and devalued in this society.

Sydney seems incredibly divided by where you live. Ever seen Cedar Boys? Kind of average film, but it kind of underlines the 'divide' between say rich Anglos in the eastern suburbs and north shore, and less well off ethnics in much of the southwestern and western suburbs. The same probably applies to poor Anglos in places like Blacktown or Mt Druitt.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:36 AM

121 posts, read 244,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Soooo True...the more connected we are, the more disconnected we become. It's like the person with 5000 plus friends on facebook yet is the loneliest person in town.

A friend of mine, who works as an urban town planner, contends that many communities have lost their soul....sadly, so have the residents.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,120,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes, even when you strike up a yarn with old ladies they think you are a really charming young person, which is a nice feeling, but I definitely get the impression they feel they are ignored and devalued in this society.

Sydney seems incredibly divided by where you live. Ever seen Cedar Boys? Kind of average film, but it kind of underlines the 'divide' between say rich Anglos in the eastern suburbs and north shore, and less well off ethnics in much of the southwestern and western suburbs. The same probably applies to poor Anglos in places like Blacktown or Mt Druitt.
Definitely - It seems that younger people can't communicate with the older citizens of their community. when I worked in retail at the local shopping center, the older ladies just wanted a chat. Sure, hearing about their grandkids wasn't exactly riveting -- however seeing their excitement was nice.

That is one thing I really noticed, the divide. I have seen cedar boys -- and the only time I've gone out west was to the NAB cup game at Blacktown/Rooty Hill.... its very different to where I am living.... I didn't really feel this divide in Melbourne - sure there are affluent and less affluent areas, but I didnt feel it so strongly .... it really seems to matter where you're from here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand