Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:33 PM

15 posts, read 36,069 times

Advertisements

I just saw the latest unemployment figures for New Zealand - they're holding steady at 6.5% (which is high) and the number of people with a job grew by only a 1,000.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...t-6-5-per-cent

It just so happens that the number of Kiwis leaving NZ for Australia is at a 30 year high and it occurs to me that the reason why NZ isn't swamped with registered unemployed is because Kiwis are getting up and being pro-active by working across the Tasman Sea.

But what does this mean for people immigrating to New Zealand without job offers, the ones that can't claim benefits and who can't find work. Are they excluded from unemployment figures and what's the true rate of unemployment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 05:41 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,737 times
6.5% is not high.

The unemployment rate is the percentage of those who are actively looking for work but currently have no job. Anyone immigrating to NZ and looking for work would be counted.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:30 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,048,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darla.R View Post
I just saw the latest unemployment figures for New Zealand - they're holding steady at 6.5% (which is high) and the number of people with a job grew by only a 1,000.

Jobless rate holds at 6.5 per cent | Stuff.co.nz

It just so happens that the number of Kiwis leaving NZ for Australia is at a 30 year high and it occurs to me that the reason why NZ isn't swamped with registered unemployed is because Kiwis are getting up and being pro-active by working across the Tasman Sea.

But what does this mean for people immigrating to New Zealand without job offers, the ones that can't claim benefits and who can't find work. Are they excluded from unemployment figures and what's the true rate of unemployment?
No different than immigrants to any new country if they can't get jobs... They have to leave or find an illegal way to survive.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:42 PM

15 posts, read 36,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
6.5% is not high.

The unemployment rate is the percentage of those who are actively looking for work but currently have no job. Anyone immigrating to NZ and looking for work would be counted.
But would they though? If they're not eligible for benefits they may not be counted in the official unemployment figures.

I think 6.5% is high in comparison to what it is here in Australia (4.9%) 6202.0 - Labour Force, Australia, Jun 2011 That shows Australia can soak up a significant chunk of NZ's unemployed without it having too much of an impact.

If Australia was to stop Kiwis coming over here to work on special category visas I bet we'd have full employment, the problem with that is the inflationary pressure it will have on wages.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
But would they though? If they're not eligible for benefits they may not be counted in the official unemployment figures.
Well if you couldn't claim unemployment benefits and had to feed your family, would you be doing your upmost to find a job? If you're looking for work you're counted. The statistic isn't measured by how many people are claiming benefits.

Quote:
I think 6.5% is high in comparison to what it is here in Australia (4.9%) 6202.0 - Labour Force, Australia, Jun 2011 That shows Australia can soak up a significant chunk of NZ's unemployed without it having too much of an impact.
It's zero in Monaco and in a few countries in Europe it's in the 3's, which makes 4.9% seem pretty high.

If anything, below 5% is probably too low.

Quote:
If Australia to to stop Kiwis coming over here to work on special category visas I bet we'd have full employment, the problem with that is the inflationary pressure it will have on wages.
At 5% you pretty much have "full employment". You wouldn't want 0% unemployment.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:03 PM

6,057 posts, read 5,999,956 times
Well obviously one is not counted as unemployed if not regestered. Unemployment benefits are only for those with limited funds or nothing in the bank.

In the better off European countries one get paid a large percentage of last earnings for a period of time,regardless of assets then if still unemployed something like what is called the dole in NZ or OZ.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Well obviously one is not counted as unemployed if not regestered.
Unemployment is measured by taking a survey similar to a political popularity survey. You have to been looking for work in the last four weeks, and be available to work within two. It is not measured by straight out counting how many people are claiming benefits. This methodology is used in most developed countries, including the EU and the US.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Unemployment is measured by taking a survey similar to a political popularity survey. You have to been looking for work in the last four weeks, and be available to work within two. It is not measured by straight out counting how many people are claiming benefits. This methodology is used in most developed countries, including the EU and the US.
It does not take into account the under employed for a start. Just a couple of hours work in a fortnight and one does not appear on figures.

Usually figures higher than claimed.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
It does not take into account the under employed for a start.
I don't believe I claimed it did, just that the you are wrong on the methodology they use, for a start.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I don't believe I claimed it did, for a start.
Didn't say you did. I refer more to the manipulation of figures attempting to claim something that isn't. Unemployment is always more than claimed so hence the stats should be not seen as the true measurement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand