Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 01:21 PM

292 posts, read 544,246 times

Advertisements

Right now, in the United States and in the rest of the Northern Hemisphere, it's winter, of course and in the Southern Hemisphere, it's summer. So that means you guys experience Christmas in the summer, rather than the winter.

What is that like? You guys don't experience white Christmases or white Thanksgivings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 01:52 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,732,816 times
Yes we have Christmas in summer.
A nice cold beer and a BBQ around Xmas is quintessential Australia.
We don't get white christmases, and very few places see snow - even in winter.
Some places like Katoomba and the NSW Southern Highlands have a "yulefest" - Christmas in July, to make up for it.
We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here.
I got dressed up as Santa Claus at my sons preschool many years ago, and just about died in the santa claus suit, it was about 37 degrees -or 100 degrees Farenheit.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:27 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,025,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
Right now, in the United States and in the rest of the Northern Hemisphere, it's winter, of course and in the Southern Hemisphere, it's summer. So that means you guys experience Christmas in the summer, rather than the winter.

What is that like? You guys don't experience white Christmases or white Thanksgivings.
Thanksgiving? You do know thats an American and Canadian holiday and that Canada celebrates that in October?
I doubt you'd need this forum to figure out what Christmas is like down under; the magic of google or bing can enlighten.. I posted a link for you below. For me I meet my mates on Christmas afternoon after they escape their families. Exchange stories of the funniest presents or the strangest family member over a few beers. Heaps fun.

http://www.thekoala.com/ausxmas.htm

Last edited by minibrings; 11-22-2009 at 02:39 PM..

Old 11-22-2009, 02:39 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,755,952 times
White thanksgivings...or thanksgivings period!

Old 11-22-2009, 03:56 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,863,252 times
Although two of our four years in Hobart there was snow on Mt Wellington on Christmas Day.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:36 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,476,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post

You do realize much of America doesn't experience a white Christmas?

Old 11-22-2009, 05:40 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,685,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
You do realize much of America doesn't experience a white Christmas?
It also depends on peoples definition of a white Christmas. Some insist it actually has to snow on Christmas day, others as long as snow is on the ground, you're good. Usually where I live we have snow on the ground at least at that time of year, which is fine by me.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:09 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Yes, Einstein, Christmas is in summer in the southern hemisphere!

Yes, a barbie is more common than the whole traditional Christmas lunch/dinner although some people still do that. I have to admit I would give anything to experience a proper white Christmas, somehow the fact it's 35 degrees and the sun is blaring down detracts from the magic of Christmas.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:12 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Yes we have Christmas in summer.
A nice cold beer and a BBQ around Xmas is quintessential Australia.
We don't get white christmases, and very few places see snow - even in winter.
Some places like Katoomba and the NSW Southern Highlands have a "yulefest" - Christmas in July, to make up for it.
We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here.
I got dressed up as Santa Claus at my sons preschool many years ago, and just about died in the santa claus suit, it was about 37 degrees -or 100 degrees Farenheit.
It's actually possible to have a White Christmas in parts of Australia. The Alps, The highlands of Tasmania, and Mount Wellington near Hobart occasionally (I should mention it's still a pretty rare event) get snow on Christmas day. It was snowing when I was in Cradle Mountain in December. Pretty freaky, ain't it?

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...895230027.html

Old 11-22-2009, 10:30 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,685,572 times
I think it would be hard for me to adjust to not having winter at Christmas time. I have often talked to my friends from down under about it and since they grew up with it, it's just the norm for them much in the way many of us Americans celebrate with BBQ's on July 4 or Memorial Day weekend.

However for many years I did live in south Alabama and Texas were snow is a once a decade thing and while it would be cold maybe it's not the same as up north or out west in the mountains.

I was in NZ in Dec 2007 and it was a bit weird with Christmas commercials on TV and some Christmas decorations up. Even went to the Christmas parade in Christchurch. Didn't feel right for summer to be starting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand