Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:17 AM

4,001 posts, read 6,275,215 times

Advertisements

Vegemite will never die.

I can barely go a day without it.

It's the world's richest source of Vitamin B after all. I knew a family whos first action on getting a headache was to eat a vegemite sandwich, it works...most headaches disappear.

All those who say it tastes awful - just give some to an animal or a baby. They LOVE it, and we all know that animals and babies have excellent taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 12:47 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Vegemite will never die.

I can barely go a day without it.

It's the world's richest source of Vitamin B after all. I knew a family whos first action on getting a headache was to eat a vegemite sandwich, it works...most headaches disappear.

All those who say it tastes awful - just give some to an animal or a baby. They LOVE it, and we all know that animals and babies have excellent taste.
Disagree, Vegemite is an acquired taste.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:54 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I LOVE Vegemite. And I am not Australian. I hope they continue to make it. We always have it in the house.
I'm also a non-Australian Vegemite fan...more precisely, I'm an American Vegemite FIEND. I crave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
No, I think callmemaybe meant: ... as unimaginable as Canada without Tim Horton's. I doubt there's nearly as many Canadians eating poutine right now as there are eating at Tim Horton's. They're always packed, and the stores are everywhere! It's part of the culture. Like Vegemite is to Oz culture.

As far as Vegemite's flatlining popularity, yeah, I can understand that. Most immigrants can't stand the stuff and there's only so much of it you can buy. As the article says, most people buy one jar a year. I had one jar going for about 5 years. On my toast, I'd rather have goat cheese and prosciutto.
Only one jar a year? Wow. My household goes through about 4 400g jars a year.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:39 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,120,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
I'm also a non-Australian Vegemite fan...more precisely, I'm an American Vegemite FIEND. I crave it.

Only one jar a year? Wow. My household goes through about 4 400g jars a year.
wow, thats a lot! Impressive ! I too crave it from time to time.

Vegemite & salada biscuits

Old 07-29-2012, 05:43 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
Im a Marmite girl myself, british bron and raised untill mving to the us with family...
Now i have family members stil in the UK ship me a jar once ina whileas the cost here for a little jar is unbelivible...
i didnt "get used to it" i didnt "grow to like it" because i was "forced to"
i love the stuff, when i was real little id steal a bit right out of the jar every time...
my dogs love it too but they only get whatever little smidgen is on the crumbs of toast i leave lol....to prescious to waste on the dogs lol

i dont think those of us who "LOVE" it would ever let vegimite/marmite ect it die without a major fight...
the hate it group can go suck a lemon lol

Old 08-01-2012, 01:34 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,275,215 times
Vegemite is alive and well downunder, I don't think I'm going too far to say EVERY house has a jar.

That's a lot of jars.

I'm loving the travel tube right now (like a toothpaste tube) because it keeps it nice and fresh.

Put Vegemite in your soups and casseroles, it will deepen the taste plus make it healthier.

I believe the issue is that the USFDA have labelled it as a "supplement" (because it's so goddamn healthy) and therefore essentially banned/severely restricted it.

The Vegemite cravings you experience are actually Vit B cravings. Vegemite will cure them. And headaches as Rayne has just found out.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:54 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
Has anyone tried ice cream with vegemite?

I know it exists..

reason I ask is a friend of mine is an artisinal ice cream maker in Maine (e.g., beets with taragon and blood orange, lobster, straweberry with mint).. and I challenged her to try to think of something to do with vegemeite (pairing)

any thoughts/suggestions of combinations she can try?

Old 08-13-2012, 12:58 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Tried it once. That was enough for me. Vegemite with ice cream sounds as disgusting as the current ice cream with BACON some are selling in the States. Some things are just not meant to go together!

Old 08-13-2012, 03:44 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,730,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Has anyone tried ice cream with vegemite?

I know it exists..

reason I ask is a friend of mine is an artisinal ice cream maker in Maine (e.g., beets with taragon and blood orange, lobster, straweberry with mint).. and I challenged her to try to think of something to do with vegemeite (pairing)

any thoughts/suggestions of combinations she can try?
Am I misunderstanding you here? Lobster ice-cream?

I like the sound of beets with tarragon and blood-orange, as a salad or side dish but not if it's in ice-cream. I'm not a picky, unadventurous eater but I'm with UNC4Me, some things are just not meant to go together. Like the Wasabi Ice-cream I was once talked into ordering .... yuk!!! And bacon or Vegemite ice-cream .... disgusting! Keep it separate. Or if she insists, how about Vegemite and VB Ice-cream for a "pairing". Or Vegemite and Wichity Grubs Ice-cream? Very Aussie, doncha think?

Old 08-13-2012, 03:57 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Am I misunderstanding you here? Lobster ice-cream?

I like the sound of beets with tarragon and blood-orange, as a salad or side dish but not if it's in ice-cream. I'm not a picky, unadventurous eater but I'm with UNC4Me, some things are just not meant to go together. Like the Wasabi Ice-cream I was once talked into ordering .... yuk!!! And bacon or Vegemite ice-cream .... disgusting! Keep it separate. Or if she insists, how about Vegemite and VB Ice-cream for a "pairing". Or Vegemite and Wichity Grubs Ice-cream? Very Aussie, doncha think?
Yup ice cream with little it of ice cream. Good stuff, especially the beet ice cream. Yum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand