Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 01:27 PM

472 posts, read 1,097,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
There's no equivalent to community college in Australia. Do you want to go to a trade school or do business? The trade school is called Tafe, if you google tafe qld and follow the links for international students. Otherwise you'd go to a university.

A uni will cost you about $25,000 a year (three year degree), trade school about $12,500 a year, but the courses can be short. Qualifications earned in Australia aren't going to be particularly helpful for further study in the US, as the system is very different. In Australia an A is awarded for exceptional work. You wouldn't expect much more than 5% of the class to get As. More than 50% of the class will get a C. The work and asessment are more rigorous, but an American employer reading your transcript will not know that.

Google AQIS for info on the costs for importing your dog. It'll be somewhere between $1-2000 in tests and fees, plus the cargo costs for them, and at least a month in quarantine.
That's about the same here in the states (assuming youre talking about USD) except we have to go through 4 years to get a degree. Private universities can run up to and well over $25,000 a semester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 03:23 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
There's no equivalent to community college in Australia. Do you want to go to a trade school or do business? The trade school is called Tafe, if you google tafe qld and follow the links for international students. Otherwise you'd go to a university.

A uni will cost you about $25,000 a year (three year degree), trade school about $12,500 a year, but the courses can be short. Qualifications earned in Australia aren't going to be particularly helpful for further study in the US, as the system is very different. In Australia an A is awarded for exceptional work. You wouldn't expect much more than 5% of the class to get As. More than 50% of the class will get a C. The work and asessment are more rigorous, but an American employer reading your transcript will not know that.

Google AQIS for info on the costs for importing your dog. It'll be somewhere between $1-2000 in tests and fees, plus the cargo costs for them, and at least a month in quarantine.
I wouldn't necessarily call it more rigorous in Oz. Its hard to fail classes in Oz, you get 50% as a grade.. you are still in the game. A bachelors in Oz is 3 years, 4 in the US (5 if in engineering).
For graduate school the American model is definitely more rigorous, you have to maintain a B average, in Australia a 50% average keeps you in the programme. I had many Aussie friends who attended grad school at Carnegie Mellon's campus in Adelaide and they transferred to Uni Adelaide which while still a good unversity, there was less pressure for top grades and you could fnish the programme. I went to grad school at Columbia and Adelaide, I looked at Adelaide as while good, an extended vacation, I had classes at Columbia where I feared failure.. uber smart kids and tough grading. In quite a few of my classes aussie latched on to me as I was used to the stress and would push to get group projects done.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:39 AM

794 posts, read 1,408,655 times
The grading scale is utterly different and the Australian work is harder and more rigorous. In the US 50% of students get an A, which is 90%. In Australia 5% of students get a distinction, which is 75%. In Australia you don't get full marks just for doing the work like you do in the US. When the ceiling is so low, as in the US, there's no differentiation of the class.

Saying you need to maintain a B average doesn't make a course rigorous. It's content and grading that makes for rigour. When everyone gets As and Bs, and the professors aren't allowed to give Cs, then a B becomes a C and an A becomes a B. If you google grade inflation there are lots of very interesting articles.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:17 AM

991 posts, read 1,769,183 times
Quote:
The grading scale is utterly different and the Australian work is harder and more rigorous. In the US 50% of students get an A, which is 90%. In Australia 5% of students get a distinction, which is 75%. In Australia you don't get full marks just for doing the work like you do in the US. When the ceiling is so low, as in the US, there's no differentiation of the class.

Saying you need to maintain a B average doesn't make a course rigorous. It's content and grading that makes for rigour. When everyone gets As and Bs, and the professors aren't allowed to give Cs, then a B becomes a C and an A becomes a B. If you google grade inflation there are lots of very interesting articles.
I don't one can generalise about grades in Australia or the US across all colleges. There are definitely colleges in the US and Australia which have very lax grading standards and others who have greater. If you compared the University of New South Wales v Arizona State you would of course have a distortion as to how rigourous the grading in favour of UNSW. But if you compared Cal to UWS you would have the opposite.

If you go to a top tier university or college anywhere you can be in for a rigourous grading curve and course curriculum, you also have fellow students who are just as good as you are.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
I don't one can generalise about grades in Australia or the US across all colleges. There are definitely colleges in the US and Australia which have very lax grading standards and others who have greater. If you compared the University of New South Wales v Arizona State you would of course have a distortion as to how rigourous the grading in favour of UNSW. But if you compared Cal to UWS you would have the opposite.

If you go to a top tier university or college anywhere you can be in for a rigourous grading curve and course curriculum, you also have fellow students who are just as good as you are.
True that. However if you have a multiple choice exam of 100 questions. If you get 50 in Oz.. you're good..its a pass. If you get 50 in the US.. thats considered an F. The professor can't grade in a scale as the rules say a 50 is a fail. Now essays are more subjective for grading, but I found they were no tougher or more lenient in Oz. Maintaining a 50% to remain in a program is easier than maintaining 80% average. BTW the Uni I attended is not considered one with lax grading standards. Of course this is IMO. IMO. IMO.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:21 AM

991 posts, read 1,769,183 times
Depends on the course. I had a course where the pass mark for a 50 question multiples choice exam was 65. However, I also had a course where the pass mark for the course was 40/100.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Depends on the course. I had a course where the pass mark for a 50 question multiples choice exam was 65. However, I also had a course where the pass mark for the course was 40/100.
Curious. Do 90% of the students in all your classes get an A? I've taken classes at 5 universities across the US and I've never encountered any class where 90% got an A. Could not find a google on that fact either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand