Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 01:36 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,098,022 times

Advertisements

We get fast food, of course, and burgers, hot dogs, chips etc are a mainstay of fast food places, but I've noticed it's hard to find places that sell a lot of other distinctly American dishes.

I had a Philly cheesesteak in Taipei which tasted great...there are many more places to find good bagels there and in other parts of Asia than here. Apart from Subway (sort of) I've not found anywhere that sells a good Philly cheese-steak. Perhaps I should make my own.

How would a Southern BBQ joint do over here? There are steakhouses, but I think a BBQ joint would be awesome. Also a place selling Cajun/Creole Louisiana style food, like gumbo and jambalaya would also be great.

It seems real American food hasn't caught on much here. Mexican too is still very niche.

Anyone know of any good places they can recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 11:31 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,174,461 times
I know some American expats go to these places when craving US-style eating. Haven't been to them myself. Misty's has Philly cheesesteak:

Misty's: Misty's Diner // AUTHENTIC AMERICAN BURGERS -- Prahran, Melbourne

Ribs and Rumps: » Ribs and Rumps – Australia’s iconic steakhouse chain! Australia | South Africa | UAE

Hurricane's: Hurricane's Grill Steakhouse Sydney Restaurants, Bondi Beach, Darling Harbour, Top Ryde City | Australia

Old 11-03-2012, 05:52 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,500,705 times
In keeping with the topic heading.....Poison!

American cuisine wouldn't even make it on my list edible substances - fats, sugars {or some form of lab Frankensteins sugar substitutes} and that list could go on. With the number of cuisines introduced by immigrants here I'd walk a mile to eat theirs, at least it's food which can sustain life as opposed to destroying it!

Old 11-03-2012, 06:31 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,126,368 times
^ lol, sometimes a hamburger is just whats needed.

Blue Plate Grill, in Neutral Bay, Sydney

BLUE PLATE - BAR AND GRILL

Tri, I think Mexican is getting quite popular,
Taco trucks in Melbourne & Sydney & quite a few Mexican places popping up around town. I likey

Old 11-03-2012, 07:41 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,320,865 times
Default With all due respect ino...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post

American cuisine wouldn't even make it on my list edible substances - fats, sugars {or some form of lab Frankensteins sugar substitutes} and that list could go on. With the number of cuisines introduced by immigrants here I'd walk a mile to eat theirs, at least it's food which can sustain life as opposed to destroying it!
American cuisine and American fast food are birds of a different feather...however, they both have a place in this crazy place we call home in America. Please acquaint yourself with the article from the site I have listed below. It spoke of all that I know and understand of America's cuisine having experienced first hand food from my own ancestral family as well as the many wonderful dishes brought here by the many proud immigrants who now call America home.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

The cuisine of the United States refers to food preparation originating from the United States of America. European colonization of the Americas yielded the introduction of a number of ingredients and cooking styles to the latter. The various styles continued expanding well into the 19th and 20th centuries, proportional to the influx of immigrants from many foreign nations; such influx developed a rich diversity in food preparation throughout the country.

20th century—21st century

Some corporate kitchens (for example, General Mills, Campbell's, Kraft Foods) develop consumer recipes. One characteristic of American cooking is the fusion of multiple ethnic or regional approaches into completely new cooking styles. Asian cooking has played a particularly large role in American fusion cuisine.

Similarly, some dishes that are typically considered American have their origins in other countries. American cooks and chefs have substantially altered these dishes over the years, to the degree that the dishes now enjoyed around the world are considered to be American. Hot dogs and hamburgers are both based on traditional German dishes, brought by German immigrants to the United States, but in their modern popular form they can be reasonably considered American dishes.

Regional cuisines

Given the United States' large size it has numerous regional variations. The United States' regional cuisines are characterized by its extreme diversity and style with each region having its own distinctive cuisine.

Another major breakthrough, whose originators were once thought to be crazy, is the mixing of ethnic cuisines. It is not at all uncommon to find raw fish listed next to tortillas on the same menu. Ethnic crossovers also occur when distinct elements meet in a single recipe. This country is, after all, a huge melting pot. Why should its cooking not illustrate the American transformation of diversity into unity?

Cuisine of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-03-2012, 08:04 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,011,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
American cuisine and American fast food are birds of a different feather...however, they both have a place in this crazy place we call home in America. Please acquaint yourself with the article from the site I have listed below. It spoke of all that I know and understand of America's cuisine having experienced first hand food from my own ancestral family as well as the many wonderful dishes brought here by the many proud immigrants who now call America home.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

The cuisine of the United States refers to food preparation originating from the United States of America. European colonization of the Americas yielded the introduction of a number of ingredients and cooking styles to the latter. The various styles continued expanding well into the 19th and 20th centuries, proportional to the influx of immigrants from many foreign nations; such influx developed a rich diversity in food preparation throughout the country.

20th century—21st century

Some corporate kitchens (for example, General Mills, Campbell's, Kraft Foods) develop consumer recipes. One characteristic of American cooking is the fusion of multiple ethnic or regional approaches into completely new cooking styles. Asian cooking has played a particularly large role in American fusion cuisine.

Similarly, some dishes that are typically considered American have their origins in other countries. American cooks and chefs have substantially altered these dishes over the years, to the degree that the dishes now enjoyed around the world are considered to be American. Hot dogs and hamburgers are both based on traditional German dishes, brought by German immigrants to the United States, but in their modern popular form they can be reasonably considered American dishes.

Regional cuisines

Given the United States' large size it has numerous regional variations. The United States' regional cuisines are characterized by its extreme diversity and style with each region having its own distinctive cuisine.

Another major breakthrough, whose originators were once thought to be crazy, is the mixing of ethnic cuisines. It is not at all uncommon to find raw fish listed next to tortillas on the same menu. Ethnic crossovers also occur when distinct elements meet in a single recipe. This country is, after all, a huge melting pot. Why should its cooking not illustrate the American transformation of diversity into unity?

Cuisine of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Your absolutely right. American cuisine is very diverse as the US is a very large country. In the Northeast region you can find distinctive cuisine in just about every major city. Keep in mind that the Northeast only represents one region of the United States. When you factor in the entire country, you can make a strong argument that the US is the most diverse country in the world when it come to cuisine.

Burgers and fries are only just the surface of what American cuisine really has to offer.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:07 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,548,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post

What incredible ignorance and arrogance. Pardon my bluntness, but it had to be said.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:11 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,173,414 times
I know that barbecued meat is popular in Australia - is it the same as American-style? Of course we have very different kinds ...... Texas, Kansas City, Tennessee etc.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:14 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,958,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I know that barbecued meat is popular in Australia - is it the same as American-style? Of course we have very different kinds ...... Texas, Kansas City, Tennessee etc.
Aussie meat is barbecued charcoal style. It's cooked until it's black and sooty.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:29 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,098,022 times
^ Yeah it annoys me when people think America food is just McDonald's or something.

Aussie BBQ is nothing like the US. My Canadian friend said it was a glorified hot plate, which is right. There's no smoking with hickory for hours, barbequed meat just tastes like grilled or pan-fried meat, nothing special or mind-blowing. It's more the whole social activity of eating outdoors. American BBQ is a revelation. I'm hankering for some Southern BBQ with all the sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand