Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 06:11 PM

468 posts, read 616,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOnions View Post
Anyone who either doesn't like sport can get a grilling in a social situation.
I haven't experienced that, but I suppose it does depend on who you hang out with and where you are. The sport-enthusiasm or athlete/jock mentality is less visible, or maybe there's just more variety and diversity now that it's less prominent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 12:16 AM

360 posts, read 983,005 times
It's not just Australians that are reserved and who keep to themselves and their social circles. The same thing applies for the British and many Americans and Canadians too; it may just be me but it seems to be an Anglo-Saxon trait.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:31 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 933,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
It's not just Australians that are reserved and who keep to themselves and their social circles. The same thing applies for the British and many Americans and Canadians too; it may just be me but it seems to be an Anglo-Saxon trait.
I can tell you that based on my experiences, if you do not look Germanic or Nordic, they find reserved people with suspicion in both the UK and U.S.

I do not speak and talk to strangers unless I have reason to do so, ticketing to go into plane, buying something, and asking directions.

Because of all the paranoia and talks of radicalization and terrorism, they find people who do not look Northern European (Southern European/Mediterranean, Latin Americans, and etc) as potential candidates of radicalization.

As a Latin American with medium skin tone, who tend to look ambiguous racial wise in appearance, I was expected to talk and engage more in order for them to see if I am threat or not, but being quite docile and quiet, they searched my room with a big "Clear" on my stateroom !

No Joke!

One of my dinner mates (shared a table with other passengers) who does not talk much either did not get this scrutiny since he does not look racially ambiguous and looks like an ethnic Brit/Northern European.

New York City was hardly any better since the people over there assume all Latin Americans are suppose to be short and very dark skinned, so they assume I belong to the other category: (light skin Indian/Pakistani or Middle Eastern, particularly Leventine). And they follow those people everywhere due to their paranoia and racist views on them.

Only France and Spain knew I was Latin American!

Not sure if that is the case in Australia, since I have never been there.

Last edited by FBF; 03-19-2016 at 10:52 PM..

Old 05-02-2016, 12:00 AM

209 posts, read 257,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
I can tell you that based on my experiences, if you do not look Germanic or Nordic, they find reserved people with suspicion in both the UK and U.S.

I do not speak and talk to strangers unless I have reason to do so, ticketing to go into plane, buying something, and asking directions.

Because of all the paranoia and talks of radicalization and terrorism, they find people who do not look Northern European (Southern European/Mediterranean, Latin Americans, and etc) as potential candidates of radicalization.

As a Latin American with medium skin tone, who tend to look ambiguous racial wise in appearance, I was expected to talk and engage more in order for them to see if I am threat or not, but being quite docile and quiet, they searched my room with a big "Clear" on my stateroom !

No Joke!

One of my dinner mates (shared a table with other passengers) who does not talk much either did not get this scrutiny since he does not look racially ambiguous and looks like an ethnic Brit/Northern European.

New York City was hardly any better since the people over there assume all Latin Americans are suppose to be short and very dark skinned, so they assume I belong to the other category: (light skin Indian/Pakistani or Middle Eastern, particularly Leventine). And they follow those people everywhere due to their paranoia and racist views on them.

Only France and Spain knew I was Latin American!

Not sure if that is the case in Australia, since I have never been there.
San Francisco, had the same problem after 9-11.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:28 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,655 times
I'd say it can be a bit of both, depending whom you interact with, but Australia is certainly NOT a collectivist society(which is unlike many asian countries).

Old 05-02-2016, 09:11 PM

291 posts, read 277,484 times
Australians are laid back and friendly enough but are pretty conformist. I do think they are sort of collectivist. By that I mean they tolerate quite a bit of difference and "otherness" in outsiders, but they are quite harsh to their own if they deviate too far from societal norms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand