Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 03:05 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,948,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
Fisheries on the Spit. Mooloolaba. Voted best fish and chips shop in Queensland. Fish and chips to feed a small family = 10 fish pieces, chips and sauce. Not bad for $14.90 and in a tourist area too.

Sorry but they just don't do proper fish and chips in either Australia or New Zealand.

I am sure its nice by Queensland standards, and ill give it a shot next time I am up that way, but on this point I will be clear, Australia doesn't have a freaken clue how to do fish and chips.

NZ may not have invented it, but it easily does it the best and that's been a discussion topic around the lunch table with Poms in the past.

You are ALOUD to admit NZ does one thing well, its not going to kill you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 06:37 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,231,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
You are ALOUD to admit NZ does one thing well, its not going to kill you!
Allowed.

rofl.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Allowed.

rofl.
hehe yea my bad, but lets not start the grammar and spelling game again, this is only a forum, although that deserves a flame :P

I won't even report it as off topic!

Old 07-31-2014, 07:32 PM

Really? IMO the price of feeding a family is all part of the Burgernomics/Cost of living debate. The fact remains that New Zealanders often report a rise in income by about 30% when they move to Australia but there isn't a corresponding 30% rise in their outgoings. Ergo the cost of living is less in Australia.

Anyway, I've no interest in getting drawn in to another one of your flames/pointless arguments.

We shall have to agree to differ and move on.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Really? IMO the price of feeding a family is all part of the Burgernomics/Cost of living debate. The fact remains that New Zealanders often report a rise in income by about 30% when they move to Australia but there isn't a corresponding 30% rise in their outgoings. Ergo the cost of living is less in Australia.

Anyway, I've no interest in getting drawn in to another one of your flames/pointless arguments.

I have stated it before, I am doing approximately the exact same job here in Brissy as I did in CHCH NZ, you have to remember Auckland is not the entire of NZ :P , and funny I earn nearly exactly 30% more, so its true the news reports are accurate!

Or are they....

1. Approx $3500 extra on commute costs in Brisbane (not hard to imagine, much larger city), and THEN I am travelling an extra 4-5 hours unpaid a week.

2. House rates are around 30%-40% more expensive and you dont pay for water in CHCH

3. Electricty is now around 15% more expensive than NZ and rapidly increasing here in Aus.

4. Alcohol more expensive in Aus (not acceptable :P)

5. Food is a mixed bad, supermarkets about the same but fast food more expensive in Aus, Dairy is cheaper in Aus, but produce cheaper in NZ.

6. The higher Aus exchange rate makes TV's computer gear etc cheaper, BUT cars are still more expensive in Aus due to tarrifs (soon to likely disappear).

7. Petrol is cheaper than Aus, but you travel a lot further, with something called toll roads in QLD, why would they charge me for travelling down a road :P

Overall I say I am 15% percent financially better off in Aus, does that cover my subjective opinion NZ is a better country to live in, well ahhh honestly on the fence at least for now.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:29 PM

Old 07-31-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:

Sure we have differing subjective experiences, or at least the context differs.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:50 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,383 times
For me, cheaper in NZ than Oz. Cost of living is increasing here all the time. A $50 note doesn't last long .

Luxuries such as dining out, wining out and buying things for wee families does not last very long :-(

Old 08-02-2014, 05:55 PM

10 posts, read 12,015 times
If the food is imported into NZ, which usually is from Australia, it is more expensive.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistersfashs View Post
If the food is imported into NZ, which usually is from Australia, it is more expensive.
New Zealand is one of the world largest exporters of milk. Can you explain why milk is cheaper in Australia, I buy it for under a dollar a litre here.

I saw that the bulk price for NZ milk has gone down but has that been reflected in the prices people pay in New Zealand supermarkets?

As for importing food from Australia are you sure about that? New Zealand is an agricultural economy, proudly self sufficient for food (or so it says) it probably exports more than it imports and charges a premium for it because of the reputation it has. Sadly, people living there also have to pay that premium.

The reason why NZ is more expensive is because people can charge what they want and there's little competition. You won't find Costco, Aldi, Netto or Lidl over there challenging the big supermarkets.

There's also GST on food in NZ so the government gets its cut too. It's not a great place to try to feed a family a healthy diet on a low income (you can't feed them on coke and fish n' chips for ever).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand