Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 05:26 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

I've been to all the states but am not clear on the shopping hours/trading laws in each.

Here the trend has been opening longer, on Sundays. I still remember a time when you basically couldn't find a place that was open after 6pm (of course ex restaurants, servos etc). Recently many shopping centres have begun opening on Sunday (not sure whether it's on a trial basis, but i see it heading that way anyway). Coles etc can now open until 7pm. Next, no doubt, the shopping centres will probably open later each day. I think they should open to at least 7pm each night, giving the foodcourts business in the evening too. I was surprised when I went to Melbs a few years ago many shops still closed at 6pm. Currently late night shopping is on Thursday till 9pm and in Friday in the city. I notice way more suburban retail places now open on Sunday than years ago, when the only place for Sunday shopping was the city or Freo.

We also have more 24 hour places, a lot more than 10 years ago. Fast food, some restaurants, convenience stores and even supermarkets. No 24 hour K-Mart like in Victoria though.

Banks still don't open on weekends, except maybe a couple in the mornings. Public libraries typically open from about 8-7 or 8-8pm, and half days on Saturday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 05:35 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,869 times
Sydney here. Most supermarkets are open to 11 if not overnight, 7 days a week.

I don't know exact closing times but I think most smaller shops wind down between 7 and 8 daily. In shopping malls, around 6ish I think. Everything is open on Sunday, but they start later.

It would make sense to start later and finish later (i.e. 10-30 - 8.30) so people can shop after work. The current system results in painful waiting times and traffic chaos on weekends

Old 12-18-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Sydney here. Most supermarkets are open to 11 if not overnight, 7 days a week.

I don't know exact closing times but I think most smaller shops wind down between 7 and 8 daily. In shopping malls, around 6ish I think. Everything is open on Sunday, but they start later.

It would make sense to start later and finish later (i.e. 10-30 - 8.30) so people can shop after work. The current system results in painful waiting times and traffic chaos on weekends
I totally agree. That's how it is in Singapore, for example. Go to any shopping mall at 8am on a weekday and it's deserted. Isn't it so wasteful having the mall open at such an unproductive time? Just a lot of old folks walking around the place. It's high time shopping malls start opening to 7, if not 8 or 9pm. That's been the case in the states since the 1970s!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I totally agree. That's how it is in Singapore, for example. Go to any shopping mall at 8am on a weekday and it's deserted. Isn't it so wasteful having the mall open at such an unproductive time? Just a lot of old folks walking around the place. It's high time shopping malls start opening to 7, if not 8 or 9pm. That's been the case in the states since the 1970s!

I suspect it's got to do with the award and payment levels.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:17 AM

777 posts, read 1,062,352 times
supermarkets here are open from 6am till midnight every day, some are 24 hour. Department stores in larger shopping centres are open until midnight every day, some are 24 hour, while in smaller shopping centers closing may be at 6pm or 9pm depending on day of the week.

Bottle shops are open from 9am until 9-11pm depending on the store and day of the week.

This is not Perth.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:46 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've been to all the states but am not clear on the shopping hours/trading laws in each.

Here the trend has been opening longer, on Sundays. I still remember a time when you basically couldn't find a place that was open after 6pm (of course ex restaurants, servos etc). Recently many shopping centres have begun opening on Sunday (not sure whether it's on a trial basis, but i see it heading that way anyway). Coles etc can now open until 7pm. Next, no doubt, the shopping centres will probably open later each day. I think they should open to at least 7pm each night, giving the foodcourts business in the evening too. I was surprised when I went to Melbs a few years ago many shops still closed at 6pm. Currently late night shopping is on Thursday till 9pm and in Friday in the city. I notice way more suburban retail places now open on Sunday than years ago, when the only place for Sunday shopping was the city or Freo.

We also have more 24 hour places, a lot more than 10 years ago. Fast food, some restaurants, convenience stores and even supermarkets. No 24 hour K-Mart like in Victoria though.

Banks still don't open on weekends, except maybe a couple in the mornings. Public libraries typically open from about 8-7 or 8-8pm, and half days on Saturday.
All the Coles/Woolworths supermarkets open 8am until 9pm, Monday to Friday in Perth now. I think some of the department stores like Kmart and Big W also open until 9pm though few of the smaller stores within the centres take advantage of the new laws that allow them to open that late. Shopping centres are all open on Sunday as well, apparently it's already the most popular shopping day, on an hour-on-hour basis. There's an IGA in Applecross which is the first full-service supermarket to open 24 hours in Perth recently.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:55 AM

777 posts, read 1,062,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
All the Coles/Woolworths supermarkets open until 9pm, Monday to Friday in Perth now. I think some of the department stores like Kmart and Big W also open until 9pm though few of the smaller stores within the centres take advantage of the new laws that allow them to open that late. Shopping centres are all open on Sunday as well, apparently it's already the most popular shopping day, on an hour-on-hour basis.
Coles and Woolworths here are open from 6am till midnight everyday (yes even on Sundays), some are actually 24 hour and some Big W in the bigger shopping centers are open till midnight everyday. We also have K-marts that are 24 hour. I can't imagine finishing my late shift and not being able to go to the store to pick up a drink and a bite to eat. Perth is so backwards

Old 12-19-2012, 07:06 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
Coles and Woolworths here are open from 6am till midnight everyday (yes even on Sundays), some are actually 24 hour and some Big W in the bigger shopping centers are open till midnight everyday. We also have K-marts that are 24 hour. I can't imagine finishing my late shift and not being able to go to the store to pick up a drink and a bite to eat. Perth is so backwards
Yep our hours are still far from deregulated, the new trading laws are similar to those in SA and Queensland. I guess this is one step towards total deregulation as is seen in the other states.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
supermarkets here are open from 6am till midnight every day, some are 24 hour. Department stores in larger shopping centres are open until midnight every day, some are 24 hour, while in smaller shopping centers closing may be at 6pm or 9pm depending on day of the week.

Bottle shops are open from 9am until 9-11pm depending on the store and day of the week.

This is not Perth.
So all K-Mart, Target, Big W are open till Midnight, interest. What about Myer, do they still all close around 6?

Old 12-19-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
All the Coles/Woolworths supermarkets open 8am until 9pm, Monday to Friday in Perth now. I think some of the department stores like Kmart and Big W also open until 9pm though few of the smaller stores within the centres take advantage of the new laws that allow them to open that late. Shopping centres are all open on Sunday as well, apparently it's already the most popular shopping day, on an hour-on-hour basis. There's an IGA in Applecross which is the first full-service supermarket to open 24 hours in Perth recently.
Interesting, there really is a change in the air. It's no big deal for me, since I don't work 9-5 right now, but it will be a convenience when I start working again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand