Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 07:10 PM

485 posts, read 2,250,616 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah not to forget the African Americans in chi town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 07:17 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,837,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Really? But I always hear from Indians, Chinese and other Asians that Australia is so racist. Yeah many small towns are very much white majority in the us, but have you been to California? In most places, white people are a minority, same for Hawaii. So many Asians in Hawaii. South Texas should probably be called Mexico haha, same with many parts of Arizona New Mexico and well pretty much most of the southwest. Is Chicago not diverse? It has the 3rd largest Mexican community, one of the largest Puerto Rican communities, a large Chinese and good sized Vietnamese community, also very large polish and Italian communities. I think the only place in the world that has more poles is Warsaw.

But yeah anyways I wanna go to Australia though. It seems like a cool place. I heard you say that Australian cities like Sydney are more exciting than NYC, Chicago or LA and a lot more than Houston.
Well, their reports often come from stories they've heard, sometimes a few bad experiences they've had. Will you experience racism in Australia? If you mean name calling.etc, that's a possibility, I've experienced it myself. In terms of discrimination etc, never really experienced it, not that I know of at least. I'm Asian Australian though, dunno if it's much different for immigrants. But yeah, folk in some small country towns (most small ones are still majority white, or even most larger towns) can still be a bit xenophobic, but also really friendly too. I think they're becoming more open-minded though. Most Australians are not really racist, although can get a bit defensive of their country when you talk about immigration and refugees. But isn't that the case anywhere?

I have, just LA and SD, and yes I noticed the Hispanic presence. I don't want to sound racist, but from my limited experience Hispanics in the US were not friendly. I'll have to go back though. Yes Chicago is diverse, but how many were born overseas? It has fewer recent immigrant communities. Sure, but I bet most of those Poles have been there awhile are are mostly American now. Here you can go to many places and hear Chinese, Vietnamese.etc more than English.

I didn't say it was more exciting than NYC, but I did say that I find Sydney/Melbourne more interesting than American cities of a similar size (Houston, Atlanta.etc). Id like to visit Chicago.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:35 PM

Hispanic Americans aren't friendly. Yeah most of them are ghetto. They don't represent Mexico Or the rest of Latin America. They're just the tip of the iceberg.

Also yeah foreign born is a different story. I was actually born in Mexico, but lived here most my life. For every foreign born like me there's 4 or 5 others who where born here. I know you mentioned foreign born before but, I thought that to say the United States is not diverse or have diverse cities is nuts. It's crazy. As for immigration, what you say sounds a lot like here.

I believe Australia and also the UK would have a lot more foreign born people in numbers and percentage. There must've been a massive immigration to Australia in the past decade or 2. Was there an open immigration policy before?

I want to know how Sydney is more interesting, tell me.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:41 PM

Id like to ask, are Australian women pretty easy to get with?

Old 01-24-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Hispanic Americans aren't friendly. Yeah most of them are ghetto. They don't represent Mexico Or the rest of Latin America. They're just the tip of the iceberg.

Also yeah foreign born is a different story. I was actually born in Mexico, but lived here most my life. For every foreign born like me there's 4 or 5 others who where born here. I know you mentioned foreign born before but, I thought that to say the United States is not diverse or have diverse cities is nuts. It's crazy. As for immigration, what you say sounds a lot like here.

I believe Australia and also the UK would have a lot more foreign born people in numbers and percentage. There must've been a massive immigration to Australia in the past decade or 2. Was there an open immigration policy before?

I want to know how Sydney is more interesting, tell me.
I wonder why that is? I've met some South Americans and Mexicans and they were for the most part friendly. I'd love to go down there. I hope to go to Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Argentina.

Me too, actually. I was born in Singapore but came here as a baby. Funnily enough, I'm probably more integrated than some who were born here, say of Lebanese descent. I can only speak English too and didn't hang out only with Asians or live in an Asian enclave (okay a little bit here, but more Malaysians-Singaporeans who integrate more because most of them speak English).

UK has less, 8-10% I believe, which is not surprising. The UK is more white, like 90%, although there are parts which are VERY foreign, like parts of Birmingham which seemed almost ALL Pakistani!

The policy is more open now, but it's still not all that easy to get in unless you're skilled. For decades the UK and NZ dominated immigration figures, but now the PRC and India are the biggest.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Id like to ask, are Australian women pretty easy to get with?
Haha, you keen to root one of our sheilas?

Well, I don't know how it would compare to Mexico or the States, but yeah there is a bit of a 'pick up' and hook up culture, not that I really get into it, but I find people in general, including women, are less social in general. You might be more of ladies' man than me (who seldom approaches women) though, and maybe your exoticness might work to your benefit.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I wonder why that is? I've met some South Americans and Mexicans and they were for the most part friendly. I'd love to go down there. I hope to go to Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Argentina.

Me too, actually. I was born in Singapore but came here as a baby. Funnily enough, I'm probably more integrated than some who were born here, say of Lebanese descent. I can only speak English too and didn't hang out only with Asians or live in an Asian enclave (okay a little bit here, but more Malaysians-Singaporeans who integrate more because most of them speak English).

UK has less, 8-10% I believe, which is not surprising. The UK is more white, like 90%, although there are parts which are VERY foreign, like parts of Birmingham which seemed almost ALL Pakistani!

The policy is more open now, but it's still not all that easy to get in unless you're skilled. For decades the UK and NZ dominated immigration figures, but now the PRC and India are the biggest.

I've live here in the states since I was 2 and yeah I still don't know why Latinos are like that. but yeah I like the Latin Americans in Latin America better than the ones here. I speak English and Spanish really well. I think I speak normally, but some people say I have a Mexican accent haha. It looks like I'll have to give it a shot with the Aussie girls hehe.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I've live here in the states since I was 2 and yeah I still don't know why Latinos are like that. but yeah I like the Latin Americans in Latin America better than the ones here. I speak English and Spanish really well. I think I speak normally, but some people say I have a Mexican accent haha. It looks like I'll have to give it a shot with the Aussie girls hehe.
Haha, yeah...actually my former housemate was Mexican, and you're starting to see Mexicans and other Latinos in Melbourne. There are quite a few Mexican restaurants opening up.

I did not receive a warm welcome at LAX. The immigration officer dude, who was Hispanic, yelled at me because I didn't know how to use the fingerprint scanner off the bat. It wasn't working as it should or something and it was complicated...anyway. There was another airport official actually scolding people though I don't think he was Hispanic. But yeah, it was just the service I got in general. Whites were mostly at least cordial and more reserved, sometimes very friendly and helpful, (except for a bunch of firefighters, long story), blacks varied from either rude and rather mean or very friendly. There was a Jamaican lady in NYC who was very helpful towards us.

Where in the states do you live?

Old 01-24-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Haha, yeah...actually my former housemate was Mexican, and you're starting to see Mexicans and other Latinos in Melbourne. There are quite a few Mexican restaurants opening up.

I did not receive a warm welcome at LAX. The immigration officer dude, who was Hispanic, yelled at me because I didn't know how to use the fingerprint scanner off the bat. It wasn't working as it should or something and it was complicated...anyway. There was another airport official actually scolding people though I don't think he was Hispanic. But yeah, it was just the service I got in general. Whites were mostly at least cordial and more reserved, sometimes very friendly and helpful, (except for a bunch of firefighters, long story), blacks varied from either rude and rather mean or very friendly. There was a Jamaican lady in NYC who was very helpful towards us.

Where in the states do you live?
yeah, not all Americans are friendly and enthusiastic to meet other people. I guess it's just that in The US, and well in Mexico, there's the culture where people would say hi to each other passing by in the street or store or something. I heard that this is actually absent in the UK, especially in London, I hear about English people always wondering why Americans say hi to strangers. Well it's just that here and in Mexico, it's actually considered rude not to do it. I've seen reserved americans too.. not all of them will come to you and say howdy partner.

Anyways, I think that's really cool to know lots of Mexicans and other hispanics are moving to Australia. You told me about your Mexican roommate. I find it impressive actually that they would actually go that far from their home country all the way to the land of the down under.. I would like to meet some of them that'd be cool. The aussies probably won't get that exotic vibe anymore because of this..especially since there will be lots of Mexicans.

I live in Idaho Falls, in the state of Idaho, on the southeastern part. It's not that far from Yellowstone National Park, like 2 ish hours away. The closest big city is Salt Lake City, Utah, but that's probably not even considered a city to you since you live in one of the Australian major cities...

Old 01-24-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
yeah, not all Americans are friendly and enthusiastic to meet other people. I guess it's just that in The US, and well in Mexico, there's the culture where people would say hi to each other passing by in the street or store or something. I heard that this is actually absent in the UK, especially in London, I hear about English people always wondering why Americans say hi to strangers. Well it's just that here and in Mexico, it's actually considered rude not to do it. I've seen reserved americans too.. not all of them will come to you and say howdy partner.

Anyways, I think that's really cool to know lots of Mexicans and other hispanics are moving to Australia. You told me about your Mexican roommate. I find it impressive actually that they would actually go that far from their home country all the way to the land of the down under.. I would like to meet some of them that'd be cool. The aussies probably won't get that exotic vibe anymore because of this..especially since there will be lots of Mexicans.

I live in Idaho Falls, in the state of Idaho, on the southeastern part. It's not that far from Yellowstone National Park, like 2 ish hours away. The closest big city is Salt Lake City, Utah, but that's probably not even considered a city to you since you live in one of the Australian major cities...
No, of course not. I think a lot of service people there - the ones that don't receive tips - make it known how much they hate their job and take it out on you, being unfriendly, unhelpful, surly and just treated you poorly. I find those that expect tips often fake friendly. I prefer things here, they're more down to earth and friendliness is at least a bit more genuine.

Here it's dying out: I remember it used to be more common. Even in the suburbs, probably only 1 in 5 will say g'day to you, I do it sometimes, not all the time. In the US I've heard it's more common in the South and rural areas, it's nice that custom is still in Mexico, although I'd hardly expect it in Mexico City or any crowded city. But yes, people in rural England seem just as reserve and don't often say hello when passing you like in country towns here (some people). I'd say the majority of Australians now do not though.

Yes it is, gives us more diversity from that part of the world. Mexican food here is typically overpriced and not that good, so I hope this changes.

I dunno, its not often you meet a Mexican! I met some of my housemate's friends, they were friendly, also met some Filipinos.

Oh why are you living there? haha. i know what living in a country town is. Yellowstone is beautiful, I want to visit. What's SLC like? I hear it's getting more liberal. Didn't Utah actually legalise gay marriage? Who would've thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand