Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Adelaide 18 43.90%
Auckland 23 56.10%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,170 times

Advertisements

Adelaide vs Auckland is hardly a fair comparison.

Auckland is the premier city of an entire country of 4.4 million people. It is, due to its relative size, the financial & business hub of New Zealand. Adelaide is a regional center for a State of just 1.65 million (of which almost 1.3 million live in Adelaide). No one should expect Adelaide to compare with Auckland. It's something like comparing Sydney to Phoenix just because they have around the same population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 09:28 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,946,983 times
Auckland doesn't represent the rest of NZ any more than Sydney represent Victoria (geese you Aussies can be insulting). As a Cantabrian not sure I would call Auckland the premier city of NZ, largest sure. I hate the Auckland Warriors being called the NZ warriors as that tends to happen here in Aus, I don't want to be associated with that lousy team , its Aucklands fault they suck so much

You are largely right but this is not a which city is the "best" thread which is always subjective, its about which city suits the ops needs and wants the most. Adelaide is a very pretty city with lots of pluses as well.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:43 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Splotnick View Post
Adelaide vs Auckland is hardly a fair comparison.

Auckland is the premier city of an entire country of 4.4 million people. It is, due to its relative size, the financial & business hub of New Zealand. Adelaide is a regional center for a State of just 1.65 million (of which almost 1.3 million live in Adelaide). No one should expect Adelaide to compare with Auckland. It's something like comparing Sydney to Phoenix just because they have around the same population.
I think they're pretty comparable. It's like comparing Madrid and Barcelona. One may be the capital, but Barcelona can easily compare to Madrid in every category. Auckland being the premier city in NZ doesn't count for all that much really.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:03 PM

8 posts, read 11,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
How is Auckland "small by Aussie standards"? Auckland is home to over 1.5 million people, and has a higher density of people per square km than any major Australian city including Sydney and Melbourne. Adelaide has 1.1 million, and I would say a more comparable city in size would be Perth. I have not been to Adelaide yet, which I really hope to get to soon as this is one of the few international cities that I have on my radar for relocation. Adelaide has more of what I want out of a city versus Auckland, and a much better planned city; I voted for Adelaide. Auckland reminds me too much of an American planned city. With that said, I feel like Auckland had a pretty significant international feel to it, an extremely diverse population, and plenty of skilled migrants who called it home. If Auckland was an Australian city it would take the 5th spot behind Perth, and closer to Perth's 1.8 million than Adelaide's 1.1 million.

Adelaide reminds me of my area. Extremely underrated, home to nationally recognized institutions, an awesome city for people who truly love urban centers.
Auckland is not more dense than sydney, I know there has been recent talk in nz that this is the case but it's simply not true. the thing with density figures is they can be skewed depending on what 'information' is used. For example the different defined urban areas for each city, etc etc. Due to these discrepancies I have read reports that try to claim sydney is more densely populated than London which again is simply not true.

Often the national parks that surround sydney (and inside it's metropolitan area) are included in its figures which ultimately skew the figures

Looking at both sydney and Aucklands purely urbanised/built up areas would have sydney clearly more densely populated, there are areas in the inner parts of sydney that have density levels higher than 20,000 per square km (much higher than Auckland), even outside the 10km inner ring it is common to have areas in sydney with 5-10 thousand per square km(which is the amount for some of aucklands most densely populated areas)

Adelaide is considered a small city by Aussie standards and so would Auckland. Adelaide has 1.3million people, Auckland has 1.4 and Perth has 1.9. Which two seem more comparable?

Last edited by 214four; 12-11-2013 at 06:14 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 01:25 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
How is Auckland "small by Aussie standards"? Auckland is home to over 1.5 million people, and has a higher density of people per square km than any major Australian city including Sydney and Melbourne. Adelaide has 1.1 million, and I would say a more comparable city in size would be Perth. I have not been to Adelaide yet, which I really hope to get to soon as this is one of the few international cities that I have on my radar for relocation. Adelaide has more of what I want out of a city versus Auckland, and a much better planned city; I voted for Adelaide. Auckland reminds me too much of an American planned city. With that said, I feel like Auckland had a pretty significant international feel to it, an extremely diverse population, and plenty of skilled migrants who called it home. If Auckland was an Australian city it would take the 5th spot behind Perth, and closer to Perth's 1.8 million than Adelaide's 1.1 million.

Adelaide reminds me of my area. Extremely underrated, home to nationally recognized institutions, an awesome city for people who truly love urban centers.
Yes, Sydney and Melbourne have nearly 5 million, and australia has four cities bigger than Auckland so it is small by our standards.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:28 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214four View Post
Auckland is not more dense than sydney, I know there has been recent talk in nz that this is the case but it's simply not true. the thing with density figures is they can be skewed depending on what 'information' is used. For example the different defined urban areas for each city, etc etc. Due to these discrepancies I have read reports that try to claim sydney is more densely populated than London which again is simply not true.

Often the national parks that surround sydney (and inside it's metropolitan area) are included in its figures which ultimately skew the figures

Looking at both sydney and Aucklands purely urbanised/built up areas would have sydney clearly more densely populated, there are areas in the inner parts of sydney that have density levels higher than 20,000 per square km (much higher than Auckland), even outside the 10km inner ring it is common to have areas in sydney with 5-10 thousand per square km(which is the amount for some of aucklands most densely populated areas)

Adelaide is considered a small city by Aussie standards and so would Auckland. Adelaide has 1.3million people, Auckland has 1.4 and Perth has 1.9. Which two seem more comparable?
This, metro figures in oz include a lot ot hardly populated areas like national park, state forest, semi rural etc. Sydney has some very dense neighbourhoods.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,259 times
Hello - my first post!

I will vote for Auckland over Adelaide.

I am a Melburnian though have lived in NZ for coming up 10 yrs and 6 of those in Auckland.

I recently went to Adelaide for work as we bought out a local company there. I found Adelaide pleasant but it felt very much like a large town, lacking the vibrancy, international feel and options I find in Auckland.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:05 AM

325 posts, read 576,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I am fascinated by Maori culture, since my Mum is from Hawai'i, it felt very comfortable. I know the Te Reo verse of GDNZ better than the English verse. I met a Maori woman in Rotorua once and she told me (after I told her my Mum was from HI) "you're my lazy cousin" (my ancestors did not leave Hawaii). I thought about it and I said "you're my dumb cousin".. she had a look on her face until I added the caveat "your family left a perfectly nice WARM island for one that gets chilly and gets snow in some parts.. our people are meant for warm weather".. we both laughed. But there was a bond.
I was born in Hawai'i and we are about to return and kick out the squatters.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:42 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
How is Auckland "small by Aussie standards"? Auckland is home to over 1.5 million people, and has a higher density of people per square km than any major Australian city including Sydney and Melbourne.
Interesting! I didn't realize Auckland was that dense. It doesn't seem to be known for its density though. Does it actually FEEL dense when you are in Auckland though?

Quote:
Auckland reminds me too much of an American planned city.
Granted this thread is a bit old, but if anyone agrees with TheMahValley (if he doesn't check back here again)....HOW SO? How does Auckland feel like an American planned city?

Just curious...

Old 01-13-2016, 09:38 AM

284 posts, read 330,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Interesting! I didn't realize Auckland was that dense. It doesn't seem to be known for its density though. Does it actually FEEL dense when you are in Auckland though?
I think he just calculated the density for Sydney and Melbourne out of the official urban boundaries. They're not really accurate since they include massive amounts of undeveloped land, multiple times larger than the land which is built up. A more accurate comparison should have Sydney as the denser city, and I'm guessing Melbourne should still be a bit more dense when adjusted for the population difference (though it's a guess). I'm not too sure about Brisbane but Auckland would likely be more dense than Perth and Adelaide.

I think Auckland's done a very good job at street level though. It has a pretty active city centre for a sprawling city of just under 1.5 million with a good focus on pedestrian spaces and Auckland as a whole is actually rather similar to Australian cities in its built form and architecture.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-36....7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-36....8i6656!6m1!1e1 (look around)

It's also worth noting their recent creation of shared spaces in the city centre, such as this:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-36....8i6656!6m1!1e1

One area that Auckland needs to work on though is transport, but I think patronage on trains is rising quite sharply and they're currently in the process of electrifying the lines. They also have a planned rail line which would run under the CBD (iirc early work has already begun on it), and once that's done trains would be able to pass through the CBD instead of terminating there and that will allow for much improved frequencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand