Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:49 AM

3,980 posts, read 10,496,527 times

Advertisements

why is it so much easier (or at least it was pre 9-11) for y'all to move to the states and work, but so difficult for us to move there and work?!?!?

Old 01-18-2008, 03:22 PM

14 posts, read 44,146 times
To Assiegal: my dad's uncle was a Major in the Army in world war 2 and was for a time was in Australia. He loved it there and sent my dad many letters about Australia. My dad dream was one day to be able to visit the place his uncle loved so much. Well my dad never did make it there and he his not well enough to travel. My dad said recently that Australia is what the United States use to be years ago before the liberals and crime has taken hold of the United States. Is that true?

Old 01-21-2008, 06:49 PM

255 posts, read 1,198,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katrose View Post
To Assiegal: my dad's uncle was a Major in the Army in world war 2 and was for a time was in Australia. He loved it there and sent my dad many letters about Australia. My dad dream was one day to be able to visit the place his uncle loved so much. Well my dad never did make it there and he his not well enough to travel. My dad said recently that Australia is what the United States use to be years ago before the liberals and crime has taken hold of the United States. Is that true?
Since I didn't move to the US until I was an adult, I don't have any knowledge except what I read or see portrayed on TV about the U.S. in post WWII days. However I do remember one of the first murders of a child in Sydney. It made headline news. Everyone was talking about it and the police turned out in such vast numbers to track the culprit down. It was on TV every night and everyone was outraged. They found out who did it of course and Australia was never quite the same after that. I do know that there was strong gun control - although I don't know what it's like now. Petty crime happened a lot I'm sure, but outrageous crime was unheard of. Australia now has lots of crime, drugs etc. The fact that Australia is no longer so isolated too with amazing air travel I think has caused so many of the changes that have come about and although there are differences both countries are now a lot alike.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
why is it so much easier (or at least it was pre 9-11) for y'all to move to the states and work, but so difficult for us to move there and work?!?!?
Sorry but I don't know. Doesn't seem fair does it? I married an American but even so had to go through lots of red tape: green card etc. I don't know how it is for those Aussies who just decide they don't want to live in Australia anymore and emigrate here.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr hari View Post
hiee!
i have completed my MBBS from china recently and wanna join postgraduate study in australian medical colleges. i am also searching for scholarship.howz it?is it possible?
Sorry but I don't have a clue. I guess you could start by searing the Internet? Wish I could have been more helpful.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,367,271 times
Is it true that all australians have some chinese in them?

Old 01-22-2008, 09:05 AM

10,650 posts, read 10,784,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
Everywhere I go in the US, as soon as I open my mouth, people realize I was born somewhere else. Many people guess correctly, but some think England. That's OK. It's a great country too. And my roots are there on my great-great grandparents side.

Anyway, once they know I'm an Aussie, the next thing people say is that they have always wanted to visit there.

So, if you have questions about Australia and need some great advice about where to go and what to see, here's your chance, ask away!

I went to Australia for a month when I was in the service, Perth, Adilade, and Sydney, Hooked with some Aussie RAF guys who did this HASH running game thing. Do they still do that down there? What a party!!!!!!!!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:22 PM

43 posts, read 172,623 times
Yes, I do have a question about a colloquialism I think is Australian. I heard Nicole Kidman say on David Letterman, probably ten years ago, "crack a fat." What in the world is that? If it is lude, crude or offensive, please forgive my ignorance!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:28 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,141,758 times
hey mates!

My question are as follows:

1. Are dingos still outlawed in Australia? Can anyone own them as pets

2. Are there Outback Steak Houses in Australia

Old 01-22-2008, 03:45 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,432,566 times
Think Heath Ledger did himself in?

Heath Ledger found dead in NYC apartment - Celebrities - MSNBC.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand