Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 12:19 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,271 times

Advertisements

We have a solar PV system, separate solar hot water and ducted air. During the day air con prob isn't essential in this part of qld if you live in a place that gets a good sea breeze, have good insulation, shade from the north & west etc. But at night it's a different matter when it's 26-28 degrees outside and >80% humidity without a breath of wind, there's been a few nights recently where we've left the air on background all night. I've found the best way to cool off is to swim in the pool, bit tricky to sleep in it though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 09:13 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
It's a very large country, with climates from tropical through to cold temperate.
In Darwin I guess the main seasonal difference is that sometimes it rains and sometimes it doesn't.
I guess Alice Springs feels like a furnace in the summer. In the winter I don't know.
I find it hard to believe that anyone would need to wear heavy clothing even in the winter. I guess it is what you are accustomed to doing.
There are probably places in Australia where the winters are warmer and the summers are cooler than most places in the United States, with the exception of the San Francisco area.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:48 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,271 times
I don't wear heavy winter clothing in winter, but will put on a scarf and gloves if I'm out at night because it can get pretty chilly up here. Then again I've probably acclimated, 26 degrees has become a pleasantly warm day for me (whereas I used to think that was hot) now upper 30s is hot. so perhaps I am less tolerant of cold than I used to be

Old 01-27-2015, 06:14 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
LOL, just realised who you are, theropod. Thought of you last week when it was -30. I do not ever want to feel -40.

It's not Australia which is cool for its latitude, London is warm for its latitude because of the Gulf Stream, and the east coast of the US gets weather straight of the Carribbean, warm and wet, alternating with arctic air off Canada. Denver is way inland, and thus more continental.
Haha...We've met a few times on these boards. I remember having a conversation with you here, but I forgot about what?

I really want to feel -40C. I mean, I've felt 40C (110F-something). I just wonder how -40C would feel. I'm curious...

That's true. The last part. Denver is inland, thus more continental, so it will have hot summers. Our Snowy Mountains are very close to the coast, hence their cool summers.

You seem to have good knowledge of the weather. Why don't you come over the weather forum and represent your city? I don't think I've seen you there. Oh, and just wondering, where are you from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand