Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 01:49 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,837,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Train Driver View Post
While in Chicago, Boston, NYC & Washington DC last month I was surprised to see so many people getting around rugged up in big jackets etc. While I was getting around comfortably in Jeans & T shirt. Most days were in the 60s!!!

I would have thought people from the Northern states would have been a bit tougher on such mild days lol
Yeah it's cos they always rug up. I think in some ways I'm more cold tolerant than a lot of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 03:44 PM

140 posts, read 278,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
But the coldest I've ever been was growing up in QLD. No one ever heats their house in QLD, even though it gets pretty freaking cold in the winter. No matter the outside temps, my house in Colorado stays a steady 68-70f inside.
I hear you! I was living in Canberra for a few years before moving to Ohio this year and my unit here is much warmer than my unit in Canberra for that same reason. Also, I grew up in Perth and didn't see snow until I was 25 (backpacking around Europe in winter). Even in Canberra it rarely snows. Last winter it snowed one day and everyone at work rushed outside to look at it. But I'm seeing plenty now - it's been snowing pretty steadily all day today.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
I hear you! I was living in Canberra for a few years before moving to Ohio this year and my unit here is much warmer than my unit in Canberra for that same reason. Also, I grew up in Perth and didn't see snow until I was 25 (backpacking around Europe in winter). Even in Canberra it rarely snows. Last winter it snowed one day and everyone at work rushed outside to look at it. But I'm seeing plenty now - it's been snowing pretty steadily all day today.
Why on earth would you move to Ohio, of all the places in the US? lol

Old 12-07-2013, 06:46 AM

30 posts, read 58,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
However, one thing I will say, most homes in Australia have no central heating and a lot of people, myself included, do not feel the need for any heating in winter.
Agree with this. It's a bit ironic having heating in one of the hottest, driest continents on earth lol :P I also agree with the fact that Australian winters are very mild, I have friends who complain about being cold when temps hit the low teens, I can survive with a very thin jumper in that kind of weather! What about when it hits minus 0 in the northern hemisphere, I shudder to think how they'd cope there! I mean get real guys

Old 12-07-2013, 03:26 PM

3,807 posts, read 3,011,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
Funny that , coldest winter I ever spent was in the western Downs area in Qld, the houses simply weren't built for cold, as the warm season was so long. All I had was a little blow heater in the bedroom.
By contrast, where my late aunt lived on the gulf coast in Florida, the house had a built in fire place - to cope with the couple of weeks of wintry blast that they may see in an entire year!
New houses these days do cope much better with climate extremes, and where I live now, Lower Hunter area just west of Newcastle does get very hot in summer, but new houses are all well insulated with reverse cycle air conditioning etc. Winters are not that cold, and only a brief blast of the warm air is all that is needed in the colder months.
But if you go further inland or into the Upper Hunter where my in-laws live, winters are much colder - many days of frost, and minimums sometimes 2 or 3 degrees below zero. Once again, houses are built for it.
Air conditioning for summer though is still more important than heating for winter.
Coastal areas -once you get to about Port Macquarie in NSW and further north, there is virtually no need for heating.
Only local area that sees snow regularly is the Barrington Tops at 1500 metres amsl, but that's all National Park and only tourists and campers go there - a few more no doubt now, since fugitive Malcolm Naden was captured in the wilderness up there last year.
Malcolm Naden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Derek41; 12-07-2013 at 03:39 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 08:44 AM

30 posts, read 58,651 times
What is so surprising is that most Australian cities have never recorded a record low temperature of anything below -5 degrees. I think only Canberra has that distinction when it achieved -10 in the 1970's if memory serves me. Most cities in the Northern Hemisphere have reached record lows ranging from -15 to -40. People here are right; we don't have any type of cold weather to complain about, nor do we have any excuse of running our heaters all day or night long. It's just not necessary in our winter.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:27 AM

331 posts, read 593,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacof View Post
What is so surprising is that most Australian cities have never recorded a record low temperature of anything below -5 degrees. I think only Canberra has that distinction when it achieved -10 in the 1970's if memory serves me. Most cities in the Northern Hemisphere have reached record lows ranging from -15 to -40. People here are right; we don't have any type of cold weather to complain about, nor do we have any excuse of running our heaters all day or night long. It's just not necessary in our winter.
Very true. Even Hobart is mild.

Coldest temp ever for Hobart -2.8C (27F) on June 25, 1972

Miami, Florida record coldest: -2.8C (27F) on Feb. 3, 1917
Los Angeles record coldest: -4C (24F) on Dec. 22, 1944

Also keep in mind that Hobart is farther from the equator than Windsor, Ontario Canada

Old 12-08-2013, 10:24 AM

3,807 posts, read 3,011,692 times
Quote:
Canberra would achieve -5C , or even lower, virtually every winter though, and has something like 100 nights a year of frost.
So that is cold by most standards, and does required some sort of proper heating, if not central heating.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
There are many cities in tropical, sub-tropical and warmer temperate parts of the northern hemisphere which have not got below -15. I'd wager even the majority. Even London's record low is only -12C, but it's oceanic. Paris' is like -19C.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:51 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,744,108 times
Quote:
Its more of a latutide issue than north or south hemishperes. Darwin is as far from the equator as Saigon, for example. In places like Canberra and surrounds its pretty normal to run a heater all day in winter - because even if the temperature peaked at say 10C, that is often a very short peak, maybe 30 minutes of the day or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand