Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 07:49 AM

11 posts, read 8,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
As an Australian myself, I am amazed that other Australians have the audacity to complain about our winters.

We don't even manage to get below 10 degrees sometimes, while other countries deal with day after day of -8 in winter, buried in 3 feet of snow, while some nights manage to get to -17! We have it pretty damn mild, yet I always hear from people who whinge about the so-called "cold". How about a better choice of words? "It's so mild today, or it's not very warm today" would be more suited to our climate. Even Melbourne, which has a reputation for being a very grey and "cold" city, has only ever reached a low of -2. Just measly. Compare that to the low of -33 in Chicago... what are we whinging about?

I also can't believe some Australians run their heater non stop in the winter months. Don't you feel guilty, considering it's generally still double figures outside? Where I live, we are lucky if we ever get anything below 14 degrees.

On top of all of this, I'd rather a proper snowy winter. The heat waves that Australia has experienced this summer and the constant days above 35 degrees have made me wish even more for a colder than average winter. Unfortunately we have to resort to the Alpine regions to get that in this country.
try to live with -33 of CELSIUS, and 2 meters of snow for about a month in Bosnian mountains .....oh, or try to go across the street with snow-water mud by the end of winter

i would be glad to move from here, for 352000000000 of reasons, not just winter

p.s. in January, when day's are the shortest we are happy if it is not so cloudy so we get about 7 hours of LIGHT, rest of 17 hours is darkness and this situation can go on for about 3 months if we get cloudy weather all the time - which is pretty much always

BUT - on the other hand - we can ski almost every day, it is nice and sunny up in mountains what is about 15 minutes by car from the city center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2023, 04:22 AM

419 posts, read 221,790 times
Because Australian winters feel colder despite the mild temperatures, The houses are built like tents, we get a humid cold, and also we get Antarctic winds. It's like British heat which is mild in temperature, but warm if you actually felt it. A common sighting on Australian weather apps in winter is Temperature: 16C (61F), Feels Like: 7C (45F). I do wish we got proper winters and not these "mild but slightly uncomfortable" "winters". Personally, i will be complaining about how warm our winters are.

Old 09-08-2023, 04:28 AM

2,300 posts, read 1,521,375 times
It gives us something to complain about instead of complaining about house prices.
I love Sydney in the winter, it is my favourite time of the year. But we haven’t really had a winter this year.

Old 09-08-2023, 07:50 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times
We have not run the heater all winter. Seems like it has been fairly mild this year. Actually, I have run the heat pump a few times in the home office but never more than a couple of hours.

Old 09-08-2023, 08:05 PM

419 posts, read 221,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
We have not run the heater all winter. Seems like it has been fairly mild this year. Actually, I have run the heat pump a few times in the home office but never more than a couple of hours.
We had an abnormal winter this year, so we are living up to the "winterless" stereotype. But last year and basically every other year gets quite chilly in winter. Not freezing cold, but cool enough that you can get goosebumps wearing a shirt and shorts.

Old 09-08-2023, 08:38 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veshyvonny View Post
We had an abnormal winter this year, so we are living up to the "winterless" stereotype. But last year and basically every other year gets quite chilly in winter. Not freezing cold, but cool enough that you can get goosebumps wearing a shirt and shorts.
The mornings felt colder than normal but the nights felt pretty mild.

Old 09-09-2023, 12:34 AM

2,300 posts, read 1,521,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
The mornings felt colder than normal but the nights felt pretty mild.
Been a fabulous winter for sleeping well. Nice and cold late at night but nice cool evenings.

Old 09-09-2023, 06:25 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times
I haven't heard too much complaint over winter in Perth any how. Actually know many that prefer it to summer.

Old 09-09-2023, 08:54 PM

2,934 posts, read 1,312,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veshyvonny View Post
Because Australian winters feel colder despite the mild temperatures, The houses are built like tents, we get a humid cold, and also we get Antarctic winds. It's like British heat which is mild in temperature, but warm if you actually felt it. A common sighting on Australian weather apps in winter is Temperature: 16C (61F), Feels Like: 7C (45F). I do wish we got proper winters and not these "mild but slightly uncomfortable" "winters". Personally, i will be complaining about how warm our winters are.
I agree with you about the poor quality houses in terms of insulation. I love the size of Australian houses however compared to the tiny homes of Europe. If Australian homes were insualted to the same standard as Northern Europe for example then I feel people might enjoy winter that little bit more. Due to the fact houses aren't up to spec in winter I feel too many just find it uncomfortable in their homes to fully enjoy it. From Sydney upward however this would be less relevant as this is where winters are mostly mild-warm anyway

Old 09-09-2023, 11:13 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,346,155 times
I suspect it’s more about seasonal acclimatisation, rather than how “cold” winter is in absolute terms. If summer days are constantly in the mid to high 30Cs, often with very high humidity, it’s not surprising that a 16C day in winter feels “cold.”

I live in NSW where winter nights can get down to -10C and winter days usually stay below 8-10C except for a very short spike in the afternoon.

The first autumn day with a maximum of 16C, for example, always feels cool or “cold.” The first spring day with the same maximum always feels unbearably “hot.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand