Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 04:52 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,697,821 times

Advertisements

why not just move to hawaii or south FL, op?
If you're chasing Summer....just live in a summer like climate. Plenty of those all over the world. AU is known for being sunny....NZ not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 04:56 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,231,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
why not just move to hawaii or south FL, op?
If you're chasing Summer....just live in a summer like climate. Plenty of those all over the world. AU is known for being sunny....NZ not so much.
+1. Where I lived it was four seasons in one day for most of the year, you could never rely on the weather from one day to the next.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:03 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,562 times
'The Piano' gives you an idea what NZ weather's like.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:18 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,948,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
'The Piano' gives you an idea what NZ weather's like.

Hehe its not that bad, form a sunlight point of view most of NZ is pretty much Melbourne!.

New Zealand Sun and Sunshine Hours

or

http://www.currentresults.com/Weathe...al-average.php

There is no doubt Sydney, Brisbane, Perth etc get a lot more, something like 3200 in Perth.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:42 PM

6,395 posts, read 6,280,880 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't think you really understand latitude, as you don't understand daylight savings. The closer you get to a pole (as indicated by a higher latitude number), the longer summer days are, but the shorter the winter days are. You indicated your problem was SAD, which is caused by lack of sunlight in the winter. If that is the case, it won't be fixed by moving to high latitudes south of the equator. At all temperate and polar latitudes there is one summer and one winter each year, even though the southern hemisphere has summer while you're having winter, we still have winter as well, no matter whatimpression the tourim brochures give. You'll get nice long daylight hours at high latitude, but there is also winter, where the days are correspondingly shorter.

To get longer winter days you want to move closer to the equator, either north or south. A latitude of 31 S/N is actually pretty ideal to avoid SAD, and 42 S/N is likely to make you susceptible to it.

http://www.auinfo.com/australia-pict...h-latitude.gif

Lol. I understand latitude fine, but I think you missed my point. I am playing w the idea of being around 42°N in my summer, then S in YOUR summer if it meant I could feel like I do now all year long. Sorry for not making that clear.

I'm not making actual plans right now, way too early to think of Visas and all of that. I get that. I am just hypothetical wondering if this would be helpful to maximize weather conditions.

Thanks to those offering insights on the weather in your areas!

Unfortunately, SAD lamps have never helped me.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:03 AM

823 posts, read 1,056,594 times
You need to carefully pick where in NZ, as the summer experience varies considerably. I would especially look at the Nelson, Napier, and Bay of Plenty areas because they all have high sunshine hours (not to mention excellent wine and food and great beaches!).

I grew up in Wellington, NZ. As any Wellingtonian will tell you, it's gorgeous and hard to beat on a sunny day - but there's just not enough of them. I love the city, but living there just does my head in because of the climate. Out of four kids in our family, my brother and I both suffer from SAD. He has moved to Tauranga and uses lamps in winter (and the odd winter vacation on the Sunshine Coast in Australia), I moved to Auckland and then Southern California. Ultimately my plan is similar to what you are considering, to have 4-5 months (Jan-April/May) of summer in New Zealand with the remainder of the time in California.

In terms of visas, you may stay on a visitors visa for up to 9 months in any 18 month period and you'll need to have evidence of $NZ1000 per month of stay (but realistically I think you would need more than that to have an ok time, although the cost of living can vary considerably around the country). If you want to work, it's a bit more tricky, but it's not impossible, depending on your field and age.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:21 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
Hehe its not that bad, form a sunlight point of view most of NZ is pretty much Melbourne!.

New Zealand Sun and Sunshine Hours

or

Annual Sunshine for New Zealand - Current Results

There is no doubt Sydney, Brisbane, Perth etc get a lot more, something like 3200 in Perth.
Melbourne's nothing to aspire to!

Old 08-07-2014, 03:31 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,231,249 times
Quote:

Old 08-07-2014, 08:25 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,948,262 times
Quote:
lol I was waiting for that, I like Melbourne, leave them alone!

Old 08-08-2014, 12:17 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,280,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
You need to carefully pick where in NZ, as the summer experience varies considerably. I would especially look at the Nelson, Napier, and Bay of Plenty areas because they all have high sunshine hours (not to mention excellent wine and food and great beaches!).

I grew up in Wellington, NZ. As any Wellingtonian will tell you, it's gorgeous and hard to beat on a sunny day - but there's just not enough of them. I love the city, but living there just does my head in because of the climate. Out of four kids in our family, my brother and I both suffer from SAD. He has moved to Tauranga and uses lamps in winter (and the odd winter vacation on the Sunshine Coast in Australia), I moved to Auckland and then Southern California. Ultimately my plan is similar to what you are considering, to have 4-5 months (Jan-April/May) of summer in New Zealand with the remainder of the time in California.

In terms of visas, you may stay on a visitors visa for up to 9 months in any 18 month period and you'll need to have evidence of $NZ1000 per month of stay (but realistically I think you would need more than that to have an ok time, although the cost of living can vary considerably around the country). If you want to work, it's a bit more tricky, but it's not impossible, depending on your field and age.

It sounds like you understand where I'm coming from. I LOVE it in the Boston area where I am from approximately though September. I could stretch it out a bit and still stay sane. But I'm not sure how many same winters I have left in me!!

I actually work for myself w a small online biz. (I sell to a lot of Aussies too since you have no import tax from US and your stronger dollar gets u more from us.) So the Visa thing is doable if needed. Thanks for that info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand