Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 01:05 AM

10 posts, read 9,696 times

Advertisements

Been in Randwick since July 18th and it really reminds me of home My question is, I love to cook and have been able to make quite a few recipes. I've been shopping at Cole's but can't find the ingredients to make Puerto Rican or Dominican food. Is there somewhere else I could go? Really want to make my Aussie boyfriend dishes I grew up with in the Jersey/NY area. Thanks for any replies

Martha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 02:33 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,894,027 times
Fiji Market.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:36 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthasfoolishginger View Post
Been in Randwick since July 18th and it really reminds me of home My question is, I love to cook and have been able to make quite a few recipes. I've been shopping at Cole's but can't find the ingredients to make Puerto Rican or Dominican food. Is there somewhere else I could go? Really want to make my Aussie boyfriend dishes I grew up with in the Jersey/NY area. Thanks for any replies

Martha
finding Goya products in Oz.. Bueno suerte! When I moved back to the US i scarfed down Mex in CA. When i got back to Union City, NJ i gorged on Cubano y borricua food (mofongo!).

Report back if you find a place.. I have friends in Adelaide who'd be interested. We found plantanos once but too expensive,

Old 08-11-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
finding Goya products in Oz.. Bueno suerte! When I moved back to the US i scarfed down Mex in CA. When i got back to Union City, NJ i gorged on Cubano y borricua food (mofongo!).

Report back if you find a place.. I have friends in Adelaide who'd be interested. We found plantanos once but too expensive,
And again...Fiji Market.

Harris Farm (the fruit and veg chain) also stock Goya.

http://www.harrisfarm.com.au/collect...oya-black-bean

Old 08-12-2015, 04:37 AM

185 posts, read 258,712 times
Sydney is very multicultural.... I am sure you can find a latin store somewhere in one of the many suburbs of the city!

Old 08-12-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
And again...Fiji Market.

Harris Farm (the fruit and veg chain) also stock Goya.

Goya Black Bean 439g
I was not correcting you I was just sharing my experience... Period.
The harris website lists only 6 Goya items, not even Adobo.

When you shopped at Fiji for your latino supplies, what did you find? Did they have sazzon? Chicharron? Can you take a picture and share as when i did a google, the site says justs Indian and Fijian food.

Have you found a place you can recommend for maduros and mofongo? Its soooo nice to have an expert on all things latino here!

Last edited by minibrings; 08-12-2015 at 08:12 AM..

Old 08-12-2015, 08:10 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:

black beans i did find, but there is more to latin cooking than just beans. My experience: you do not have the Goya variety sold in the US. Period.

Martha:
I was in suburban San Diego at my sister's local chain and they did not have Goya adobo, azafran.. Or plantanos! We have shelves and latino section at my local store in rural New Hampshire. Where have you found Adobo and plantanos in Sydney? Report back on Fuji. The Harris website lists ONLY 6 Goya items and NO adobo! Thats pathetic.
I agree. I lived in Randwick for a few months and searched low and high for both a good Latin restaurant and for Latin cooking items; granted, as far as items go, I could've made my own sofrito from available ingredients, but didn't want to go through that trouble. Greatly disappointed on both fronts, but hope that things have changed since then or will change soon. Now, if the OP wants a great Indian/Pakistani place, I have just the spot for that!

Old 08-12-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I agree. I lived in Randwick for a few months and searched low and high for both a good Latin restaurant and for Latin cooking items; granted, as far as items go, I could've made my own sofrito from available ingredients, but didn't want to go through that trouble. Greatly disappointed on both fronts, but hope that things have changed since then or will change soon. Now, if the OP wants a great Indian/Pakistani place, I have just the spot for that!
You were lucky living in Sydney.. You had a better shot at finding things. I was in Adelaide and best I could find was Goya black beans.

Last edited by minibrings; 08-12-2015 at 08:53 AM..

Old 08-12-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
The harris website lists only 6 Goya items, not even Adobo.
You said good luck finding Goya products. Well I found them for you, at a supermarket chain...period.

OP, if Fiji Market doesn't have what you need you can head out to Fairfield/Bossley Park, it's a much longer drive from Randwick. There is a largish Latin American community (although it tends to be more from the southern cone of South America than North/Central America, my paternal grandparents moved from Spain to Chile to get away from Franco and then when Chile went pear shaped from Chile to Australia and lived in Fairfield) out that way and a few specialty shops.

Last edited by BCC_1; 08-12-2015 at 06:01 PM..

Old 08-13-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
You said good luck finding Goya products. Well I found them for you, at a supermarket chain...period.

OP, if Fiji Market doesn't have what you need you can head out to Fairfield/Bossley Park, it's a much longer drive from Randwick. There is a largish Latin American community (although it tends to be more from the southern cone of South America than North/Central America, my paternal grandparents moved from Spain to Chile to get away from Franco and then when Chile went pear shaped from Chile to Australia and lived in Fairfield) out that way and a few specialty shops.
I meant the goya products she will need. No need to be obtuse. They dont even stock adobo. Basic stuff. 6 items does not equate to an entire cuisine.

Im sorry you always have to be right.. Putting you on ignore and i encourage you to do the same.

After many years of respecting your opinion.. All gone.

I do not like tall poppies.

Last edited by minibrings; 08-13-2015 at 04:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand