Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 09:27 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
I'm a NZer with an American husband, currently living in the US but spent 9 years there with him as well. It pains me to say it, but I agree with probably 80% of the article and comments and that's a large part of why I mostly live here and not there. But it also doesn't really address the things that are good about New Zealand. The lack of pretension. The "No. 8" wire approach (yes, it's both a positive and a negative). The willingness to just enjoy "being" (which some of the commentators may see as being lazy). Despite it's problems, there is much that is right with the place.

I think you will have a great time there because you are travelling, not living there, and NZers are pretty friendly to travelers. Many people have travelled overseas and been in a similar position on working holidays - and it's usually just the people actually living there that we seem to pick on. Also you'll be in the South Island which I find to be a bit more chilled out, and they are used to/welcoming of working holiday travelers in places like Queenstown and Blenheim (vineyards and fruit picking). People may make the odd crack about loud Americans but generally I think you'll find they'll just be very interested in you and will go out of their way to help you out should you need it.
How about Sandflies in NZ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 04:35 PM

5,110 posts, read 2,052,447 times
Slightly off-topic but isn't a bit too far-fetched to arrest 2 guys for smuggling KFC?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...vid/ar-AAOG9pM

Quote:
KFC chicken might seem pretty irresistible when you're suddenly denied access to it. While the city of Auckland was under a Level 4 lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic this week, two men, called "gang associates" by New Zealand police, were caught smuggling not just cash, but a car trunk full of KFC food into the city.
Did life imitated art once again? It reminds me of some episode of this series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNf4aehS3WQ

Old 09-21-2021, 04:41 PM

1,169 posts, read 751,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
How about Sandflies in NZ?
OK, those are a great reason to hate NZ. Pesky little buzzards that very nearly ended an entire trip for me there, once.

Old 09-21-2021, 05:29 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
Slightly off-topic but isn't a bit too far-fetched to arrest 2 guys for smuggling KFC?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...vid/ar-AAOG9pM

Did life imitated art once again? It reminds me of some episode of this series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNf4aehS3WQ
Lol! - they must have paid cash for the KFC.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:33 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
It's a bit sad if you're choosing how many people are in McDonalds as your example of whether American culture is popular with non-Americans. Have either of you actually been to New Zealand or Australia?

I think for many New Zealanders and Australians their feelings about the US are complicated. They find it fascinating to visit but don't necessarily want to live there or have their country be like it. Generally they like Americans, not "America". Many find Americans to be extremely friendly, polite, and outgoing, love the regional differences in music and food, enjoy the cars and roadtrips, are very fond of the great cable tv shows, but are baffled by the attachment to handguns, the flag, and for-profit healthcare, struggle to understand the indifference to homelessness, having the highest rate of incarceration in the world and unbridled police power, terrified of the political chaos and instability of the last five years and the potential consequences for the rest of the world, and insulted and disbelieving of the whole "America is the greatest country on earth" exceptionalism bs. Let's not even get started on Covid and the resistance to vaccination and wearing masks.

The US has much to be proud of, I live here and love this place in spite of all that, but it is seriously broken at the moment. Thinking that non-Americans, especially NZers and Australians, don't see all those things and shake their heads is delusional.
Excellent post and I have to say I agree with your comments. I am American but I no longer understand this country and its strange cultures. I'm beyond fed up with the attachment to guns, and our disgusting excuse for healthcare that really can bankrupt a person. The fact we have the worse homelessness I have seen in a modern country is an absolute disgrace. The refusal to wear a mask and not get vaccinated is another example of the selfishness we have going on here. I have always found the America is the greatest country on earth comment, as disrespectful to every country on earth. We are not the greatest and its about time, the USA as a whole was put in its place on that comment.

It is understandable people from Australia or New Zealand may like Americans but not the USA. I think a good number of Americans may feel the exact same way. Many of us are very concerned how this country seems to be completely falling apart with little hope of fixing itself.

Old 09-21-2021, 10:50 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
To me the America is the greatest type comments make me think of the comments on social media on Mothers Day and Fathers Day. Eg my dad is the greatest dad ever. They tend to make me cringe.

But we love the scenery in the US, which is outstanding. The people are fine, travelling is easy. Not overly keen on the food and we find the tipping system difficult. Even when we do our best to tip the right amount in the right situations, we make mistakes!

Old 09-22-2021, 10:52 AM

910 posts, read 367,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
To me the America is the greatest type comments make me think of the comments on social media on Mothers Day and Fathers Day. Eg my dad is the greatest dad ever. They tend to make me cringe.

But we love the scenery in the US, which is outstanding. The people are fine, travelling is easy. Not overly keen on the food and we find the tipping system difficult. Even when we do our best to tip the right amount in the right situations, we make mistakes!
What a stupid statement, "not overly keen on the food", you have said Americans are ignorant of Australia, which is true to some degree. But now you are showing your ignorance of America. America has such a vast network, you can get any type of quality food you want! America has the largest food distribution network in the world. Some of the best restaurants in the world, are in America. I will put my food available, at my local supermarket, up with anything I saw in Australia. We have far more food choices than you, and its not even close! Even when you include the tip, restaurant meals are still cheaper in America, and they give you much larger portions.

Old 09-22-2021, 10:55 AM

1,169 posts, read 751,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
[...]and they give you much larger portions.
IS that supposed to be a good thing??

The country among those participating in OECD with the largest percentage of obese men is the USA. Interestingly, number 2 is Australia.

Old 09-22-2021, 11:08 AM

910 posts, read 367,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post
IS that supposed to be a good thing??

The country among those participating in OECD with the largest percentage of obese men is the USA. Interestingly, number 2 is Australia.
Yes it is! Every time I paid big money to eat at an Australian restaurant, I did not have that quite full feeling that I like. I am not obese, as I power walk several miles a day!

Old 09-22-2021, 11:34 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,878,692 times
I've never been to NZ, and if I ever go, it will be as a tourist, not a relocation.

But - some of the cultural things (i've been meaning to start a podcast or something about this for a while) are baffling. Not the thing itself - but that anyone finds it baffling. Marisa, I'll just use you as an example, since you're right here in my field of view (er, on CD) - and because you're using issues that are not hot buttons - but:

Re: Tipping. Tipping culture varies all over the world. I don't find the USA system of tipping any more or less complicated than I find any tipping, in any place I've ever been. No one does it the same. Some do, some don't. Some fixed, some not. Some big, some small. Some insulted. Some pleased. And so on. It is hardly an item on which to affix an opinion of the USA, any more than I should use it to fix one of NZ. Or Japan. Or Mexico.

Food? What kind of food are you un-keen on? The USA has a great - vast - variety of food, imported from every nation on earth (literally). Please don't judge USA food on Applebees or Perkins or McDonalds. I am not saying that food elsewhere isn't magnificent - it is - I'm just pointing out that the sheer size of the USA menu is not something most folks have sampled - and if you don't like what you just ate - don't eat it again. seek out something different. Good food - GREAT food - is out there.*

*don't flame me for lacking in some regional delicacy. that's not really the point. all cultures have a game changing food that isn't shared with the others. but to whatever degree it IS shared - it is far more likely to be shared in the USA than just about anywhere. seek it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand