Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 11:37 PM

536 posts, read 1,540,448 times

Advertisements

Why are they insanely high? I was looking through several websites trying to see if it was worthwhile for me to consider moving to either country for jobs. I prefer Australia over New Zealand. I was thinking I would want to get a tourist visa and visit the country to see what it's like and whether I would be ok with moving there and so on before even considering looking for jobs. Thoughts? Suggestions or advice? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 05:55 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,991,469 times
How about go to both Australia and New Zealand? Lots of tourists do that. Plus it is not expensive flying from Australia to New Zealand.

Are you under 30 years old? If so you can get a one year working visa for either Australia or New Zealand.

How about working for a company in the US that has interests in Australia? If so then that an easy track to move to Australia.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:08 PM

536 posts, read 1,540,448 times
Therein lies the rub. I am not 30. I'm 46. I also have some health issues that are considered minor. Type II diabetes which I take pills for. I've lost 15 lbs and I'm currently stuck at my weight and have been for months despite the fact that I walk 8 to 14 miles at my current job as a custodian. I'm also deaf and have been since birth. I communicate in both American Sign Language and spoken/written English. I do have a bachelor's degree in Communications and two trade school certifications: Machining Technology and Composite Technology. I used to work as a cnc machinist then switched companies and worked as a cnc router operator which I did really enjoy until my company was bought out by a competitor and they replaced all the employees with their own and then literally shut down shop and relocated their employees back to their job sites and took the whole manufacturing equipment with them. So everyone who was a job reference to that company don't work there anymore and they're all scattered to new jobs.

I find that Australia and New Zealand has a high demand for cnc router operators while it's not the rule here in the US. So I would like to explore that aspect.

I've thought about doing the Australia/New Zealand trip but how much extra does it cost typically? I would need to get two tourist visas.

I've thought about contacting a migration agent to see what they think.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:03 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,991,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
Therein lies the rub. I am not 30. I'm 46. I also have some health issues that are considered minor. Type II diabetes which I take pills for. I've lost 15 lbs and I'm currently stuck at my weight and have been for months despite the fact that I walk 8 to 14 miles at my current job as a custodian. I'm also deaf and have been since birth. I communicate in both American Sign Language and spoken/written English. I do have a bachelor's degree in Communications and two trade school certifications: Machining Technology and Composite Technology. I used to work as a cnc machinist then switched companies and worked as a cnc router operator which I did really enjoy until my company was bought out by a competitor and they replaced all the employees with their own and then literally shut down shop and relocated their employees back to their job sites and took the whole manufacturing equipment with them. So everyone who was a job reference to that company don't work there anymore and they're all scattered to new jobs.

I find that Australia and New Zealand has a high demand for cnc router operators while it's not the rule here in the US. So I would like to explore that aspect.

I've thought about doing the Australia/New Zealand trip but how much extra does it cost typically? I would need to get two tourist visas.

I've thought about contacting a migration agent to see what they think.
There are really big hurdles for someone to get an immigration visa to Australia that is your age and that applies for New Zealand as well..You can get much better info if you contact the immigration agent. If you bring your partner, it depends on the skill level of your partner as well as that is taken in account as well. If you have a lot of money and willing to invest in Australia it is possible it can help the process and you able to finance yourself the long term.

If you coming as a tourist to Australia and New Zealand you do not need a visa if you are from the USA. The flight from Australia to New Zealand one way can be $130 US dollars. Yet both Australia and New Zealand are not cheap destinations and the cost of living is expensive, esp in the bigger cities.. If you on a budget then look at Airbnb or YHA hostels.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:09 PM

4,235 posts, read 4,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post

Every non-citizen needs a visa to enter Australia. An American tourist needs an Electronic Travel Authority visa to visit Australia. This is available online for $20 from the Department of Immigration and is usually done in 24 hours.

https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAS3/etas

Your health issues and your age are going to make it very tough indeed to move permanently to either country unfortunately.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,265 times
Again depend on your work profile, as it,s matter a lot.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:29 AM

823 posts, read 1,057,946 times
The diabetes may make it virtually impossible to become a permanent resident in New Zealand, I imagine it's the same for Australia. With universal healthcare, they look pretty closely at what the future burden on healthcare might be for potential future residents.

However, CNC Router is on the essential skills shortage list, so you might be able to get an Essential Skills visa. You'd still need to have a medical, but it's not a visa that leads to residency so it's slightly less stringent. If your diabetes is well controlled and your blood work etc, looks ok, the medical officer assessing your application may let it through. You have to have a job offer to get this visa, so I'd negotiate the cost of the visa as part of the salary package.

You should call Immigration NZ and talk to them directly. They are very friendly and will give you a straight answer as to how much of an issue the diabetes will be for an Essential Skills visa (I know you are more interested in Australia, but I don't know so much about their system, other than they are even more strict in their process).

Old 03-01-2018, 07:11 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,283,369 times
It also used to be (not sure now) that a legal resident of one country could work and live legally in the other. I was a legal Australian resident and when I went to NZ my passport was stamped that I could reside in NZ permanently. This may be a back door way into one country if you can only get into the other. Suggest consulting an immigration lawyer in either country.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:51 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,538,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
It also used to be (not sure now) that a legal resident of one country could work and live legally in the other. I was a legal Australian resident and when I went to NZ my passport was stamped that I could reside in NZ permanently. This may be a back door way into one country if you can only get into the other. Suggest consulting an immigration lawyer in either country.
Australia has put restrictions on that to prevent it becoming a back door method of entry. The OP needs to spend a lot of time on the appropriate website as it contains all the information about the points system. There are very long lists of occupations which qualify for migration and which have annual quotas. There is also the issue of having skills recognised here. A qualification from another country is not necessarily going to be accepted by the professional body here.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:42 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,220,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
How about go to both Australia and New Zealand? Lots of tourists do that. Plus it is not expensive flying from Australia to New Zealand.
Yes it is. RT fare Sydney-Auckland is about the same as Sydney-Singapore. Over $300USD. Los Angeles to Bangkok is only $450.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand