Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 07:12 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,954,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
As previously mentioned, SA was the first state in Australia to repeal anti-sodomy laws/decriminalise homosexuality, making Adelaide the first freely "gay city" in Australia. Kind of an outrageous thought given how sleepy the city would have been then, in 1971 (but then again, wasn't Adelaide our third largest city then? Or had Brissy already overtaken it?).
What was amazing was the election of such a flamboyant and colourful character as Dunston, who introduced such policy. Not something I would associate with Adelaide/SA in any sense of the term.
Hard to imagine such 'enlightened' policy being accepted by what I consider in later times anyway, as a somewhat conservative and rather cliquey sort of place.
Was it such policy that got him elected, or where other considerations at work at the time like a poor performing Conservative state government? Or have I got SA wrong and it is/was something different in attitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 08:50 PM

69 posts, read 115,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
What was amazing was the election of such a flamboyant and colourful character as Dunston, who introduced such policy. Not something I would associate with Adelaide/SA in any sense of the term.
Hard to imagine such 'enlightened' policy being accepted by what I consider in later times anyway, as a somewhat conservative and rather cliquey sort of place.
Was it such policy that got him elected, or where other considerations at work at the time like a poor performing Conservative state government? Or have I got SA wrong and it is/was something different in attitude?
SA to me at least seems politically progressive/left wing in comparison to NSW, QLD and WA. Despite being the ‘city of churches’ and having had large Lutheran pilgrim settlements, Adelaide itself is actually much less religious than both Sydney and Brisbane.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:48 AM

468 posts, read 616,116 times
I think South Australia and Tasmania (from memory) have the smallest affiliation with religion than any other state.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:17 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,954,330 times
I've never had the feeling on a street level that Adelaide is progressive though. More a staid, conservative sort of place and cliquey to match. Just an observation as never lived there, but visited three times, acquaintances from London working days.

Old 10-06-2022, 10:29 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic_08 View Post
There are certain stereotypes in terms of political leanings that are attributed to each city. Obviously these are massive generalisations with intricacies such as left wing inner cities and conservative suburbia like you mentioned. But in general terms:

Left wing cities:
- Canberra - As the nations capital, lots of public servants who tend to be left leaning.
- Melbourne - Very left wing inner city with more moderate suburbs. These days the Liberal Party usually only does well in the Eastern suburbs, as the rest of metropolitan Melbourne votes Labor/Greens. Funnily enough up until about 20 years ago Melbourne has a reputation for being relatively conservative and aristocratic. That has all changed now.
- Adelaide - Current Liberal state govt notwithstanding, generally has a left/centre left leaning both in the city itself as well as the suburbs.

Right wing cities:
- Brisbane - Is quite diverse nowadays, but still retains a more socially conservative culture compared to the above cities. Queensland in general being a decentralised state is quite conservative.
- Sydney - Despite hosting the annual Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras as well as being home to a cluster of progressive suburbs in the inner west, Sydney is a huge city and outside the inner west is known to be fairly conservative. Being the financial capital of Australia, Sydney is home to lots of fiscally conservative business people. Additionally, Sydney is by far the most religious city in Australia and registered the country’s highest vote in opposition to same sex marriage. All of the nation’s influential right wing media is centred on Sydney, and the last four Liberal Prime Ministers have all been from Sydney.
- Perth - Very isolated and retains a conservative culture. Western Australians have in general been more fiscally conservative than the country as a whole, particularly as a result of the mining boom.
Is Adelaide on a rightward trajectory, and why do you think that is/is not the case?

Old 10-06-2022, 04:37 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Is Adelaide on a rightward trajectory
No.

Old 10-06-2022, 06:35 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
Quote:
Is Adelaide on a rightward trajectory, and why do you think that is/is not the case?
The Liberal state government was replaced this year in March by the Labor government, so I suppose that means it is on a more left trajectory.

Old 10-07-2022, 06:31 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
The Liberal state government was replaced this year in March by the Labor government, so I suppose that means it is on a more left trajectory.
In terms of Australia, I'm looking at a cheaper suburb of Adelaide (Elizabeth North) or maybe a cheap suburb of Perth (I haven't researched Perth as much as Adelaide, yet)

Old 10-07-2022, 02:31 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
Quote:
In terms of Australia, I'm looking at a cheaper suburb of Adelaide (Elizabeth North) or maybe a cheap suburb of Perth (I haven't researched Perth as much as Adelaide, yet)
What aspect of the politics concerns you? What do you want to do that would be affected by whoever is in power?

You do realise Elizabeth is an area with some social issues. It was where there was an automotive industry which has shut down. Historically high unemployment. There is always a reason that areas are cheap.

Having said that, because Adelaide is a small city, it might work for you. You can easily travel around to any part that you like for work or leisure.

Old 10-07-2022, 03:25 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
I think South Australia and Tasmania (from memory) have the smallest affiliation with religion than any other state.
Not sure that always equates to left leaning political views though.
Australia does not have a big Religious Right, like they do in the US, that have any influence over politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand