Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 05:38 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,335,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Un needed turbo charged immigration . Perth a city of 1.2 million has just been declared a rural zone in order to increase migration and foreign students
What's wrong with foreign students? They don't take jobs from locals, and also bring in money from their home country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 05:03 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,963,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
What's wrong with foreign students? They don't take jobs from locals, and also bring in money from their home country
Glad to asked. Nothing obviously when not elevated to the ranks of a top import item. Likewise great for university and creating diversity. Wrong when becomes a principle method of earning for such institutions to stay afloat. Wrong when courses are devalued through poor English communication ability and/or under qualified to partake in subject matter due to varied reasons including corruption. Wrong when seen as a method to immigrate into Australia to which an Australian 'education' becomes prime reason for too many to pay so much to attend. Take away the carrot of immigration and numbers would decline radically.
But the big issue is the shear number of foreign students in certain universities and their influence over declining standards overall. Not forgetting the numbers of locally based students, not getting placements due to very high number of overseas placements.
Actually many do work as well. Even if not full time (I'm not sure how it is policed) but foreign students can indeed work up to twenty hours legally in Australia.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Sorry, it does not matter how good Aged Care is. If you have not dealt with people with severe dementia you will find it hard to understand why so many people favour euthanasia. It is about allowing people to make their own decision about their future and not about looking after them for years in a high Care facility if that is totally against their wishes. It is about freedom of choice, appropriate in a secular country. I do not want, if there is any option, to be unable to speak, eat, walk or recognise my family, as happened to my mother.

I have just returned home, having brought my two grandkids on the train for a sleepover. It was an hour journey but I cannot understand what is so hard and stressful about sitting in an air conditioned carriage while being able to read or play with your devices. The person opposite me was watching a movie on his phone. DD finds it is her only down time of the day. As I have lived my life in this city I can assure you that on this line anyway the trains are quicker, safer, more comfortable and much more frequent than years ago and yes, less crowded.

Sydney is so large that there are employment hubs all over the city. Parra, Taren Point, Macquarie Park ... only one of my kids and their partners has a long commute and she is the one who enjoys it.

You will no probably dismiss my opinions as I have not lived elsewhere. That's fine, but I am actually not entirely devoid of information about the rest of the world.
It matters very much how good aged care is. What is required is a caring environment with well qualified and well paid staff able to bring dignity and harmony to aged care. Perhaps more older folk would not be so keen to end their life given a change in circumstances to those described above.

Nothing easy with folk suffering dementia. Which are the people so many as you say favouring euthanasia, those with dementia or 'all to hard to cope with' family and/or poorly trained in too many instances supposed care staff?
What safe guards would be in place that would ensure outside influence on a soul already in the grips of dementia is not unduly influenced or convinced that they would be better off euthanized? There are far more considerations than freedom of choice here. Looking at the far bigger picture not a specific scenario is what is required not a strength with all too many people, unfortunately.

AS for Sydney, so you have no problem Sydney becoming home to eight million before too long? Just what advantages will result from that? Do mega big cities function better than medium sized ones in your opinion? Is so how so? Will the cost of infrastructure ever match or indeed catch up with the shocking lack of investment over the past? How exactly do you envisage a city of such proportions?

I've heard trains are more crowded, but will bow to your first hand evident experience on that. Although hard to see how with such population growth as is the case in Sydney.

It is not just about jobs, but the type of jobs. I accept Sydney has far broader employment prospects than Perth, where countless apparently qualified migrants work as uber drivers, taxi drivers, and numerous positions well under their usual employment status. Yet Perth has just reclassified themselves as a rural settlement again in order to attract more migrants and international students.

Lets hope Australia can move on to more inventive ways to find its place in the world with some originality rather than tired old concepts and repetitive dogma and more people get engaged to demand better.

Old 11-02-2019, 03:29 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,527,149 times
Quote:

Lets hope Australia can move on to more inventive ways to find its place in the world with some originality rather than tired old concepts and repetitive dogma....
What does "find its place in the world" mean to you?

Old 11-02-2019, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
What does "find its place in the world" mean to you?
Well lets see. For starters how about less reliance on real estate and artificially sustaining the housing boom and seeking alternatives to massive over dependence on China. All too hard more likely and something tells me soft options like tourism and international students and turbo immigration will continue due to lack of any feasible alternatives.

Old 11-02-2019, 06:29 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,311,348 times
All I wish to say about Aged Care, is that obviously we need better care. But according to the ABC, 90% of Australians currently support voluntary euthanasia and the support is across supporters of all political parties and age groups. Where to draw the line is of course a vexed issue and especially so with dementia. I have lost both parents with vascular dementia, my grandmother aunt and cousin with Alzheimer's. Even if the system were to provide multiple around the clock highly skilled staff it would not prevent the indignity of this condition which currently has no cure and none in sight. An indignity which I would go to any length to avoid.

Obviously Sydney does not suit everyone. I can see no point in defending it further.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:53 AM

239 posts, read 158,792 times
Quote:
Have Australians become a servitude nation where people do what they are told without question?

Pretty much, the right seem to have taken over politics at federal level, the opposition are weak. The PM is weak and a few strong people with an agenda of hate seem to be running the show.
Peter Dutton, Mathias Cormann and Michaelia Cash are the main offenders with attitudes akin to the Nazi party of Germany in the 1930s.

Ordinary people count for nothing, foreigners are given sub-human treatment, the media mainly toes the line, with the Murdoch press banging the drum for them, and any media that question their actions get jumped on from a great height.

Australia seems to be in much the same position as Germany was before the Nazi's swept into power.

Peter Dutton is pulling strings to receive a large cash injection to build his ministry, ostensibly to protect Australia, but actually to spy on Australians. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the money will be used to recruit thugs and fit them out with leather boots and black shirts.

The sooner we have some proper laws to protect whistle-blowers and the journalists who investigate and publish their information the better.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
Pretty much, the right seem to have taken over politics at federal level, the opposition are weak. The PM is weak and a few strong people with an agenda of hate seem to be running the show.
Peter Dutton, Mathias Cormann and Michaelia Cash are the main offenders with attitudes akin to the Nazi party of Germany in the 1930s.

Ordinary people count for nothing, foreigners are given sub-human treatment, the media mainly toes the line, with the Murdoch press banging the drum for them, and any media that question their actions get jumped on from a great height.

Australia seems to be in much the same position as Germany was before the Nazi's swept into power.

Peter Dutton is pulling strings to receive a large cash injection to build his ministry, ostensibly to protect Australia, but actually to spy on Australians. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the money will be used to recruit thugs and fit them out with leather boots and black shirts.

The sooner we have some proper laws to protect whistle-blowers and the journalists who investigate and publish their information the better.
We obviously think alike on numerous issues, or at the very least arrived at the same conclusions. All very sad. To be fair Australia is only following to a large part what has been occurring longer in UK and USA and NZ and Canada.
The comparison with Germany before the war, all to obvious I'm afraid with countries like UK or England to be more precise seeking an imagined 'salvation' through voting for fringe Right wing parties, not to mention a Tory Party that has drifted that way , but Australia has indeed made a fair stab of heading in such a direction. We can count out blessings, that Dutton did not get the top job.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:26 AM

239 posts, read 158,792 times
Quote:
We can count out blessings, that Dutton did not get the top job.
But with a weak PM and a few bully boys, (read Cormann and co.) behind him, Dutton is running the show. Look how today the humanitarian medivac bill was repealed, now a government minister (read one of his, toe the line, Bureaucrats) not a doctor, gets the say on whether a sick refugee gets brought to Australia for treatment.

I know a nurse who was employed by the company running one of the detention centres and she told me that the manager of the centre would over-rule her treatment regime for sick detainees because it was costing too much. She had people die because she was not allowed to provide the appropriate help. She resigned before she went mad from the frustration and disappointment.

We see in the press that many of those who were brought to Australia for treatment were never admitted to hospital here. Of course they did not need to be placed in a hospital here, removing them from a detention centre went a long way to solving the mental health problems that were the root cause of their condition.

Yes, it seems that the only solution to the draconian rule imposed by Dutton and his followers will be a revolution, unfortunately for Australia. The election box is the only other alternative, but Labor are pathetic at the moment. The Greens offer some hope, if only they would bring the environmental extremists into line.

To explain what I am talking about with the Greens. Years ago I was working on an exploratory job to build a large Hydro Power Station. The station was to be built underground below an elevated area with a small rain forest west of Tully, Nth Qld. A small dam was to be built in the middle of the rain forest, with pipes to be drilled vertically down from the dam to the power station below. The water would exit the power station into the Tully river, where it ended up at originally. However some Greenies claim to have discovered some rare frog in the rain forest and that is all it took for the Bjelke Petersen government to pull the pin on the whole project. (Bjelke Petersen had a vested interest in mining coal)

Since then millions of tons of coal have been burnt generating the electricity that the hydro station would have produced.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
But with a weak PM and a few bully boys, (read Cormann and co.) behind him, Dutton is running the show. Look how today the humanitarian medivac bill was repealed, now a government minister (read one of his, toe the line, Bureaucrats) not a doctor, gets the say on whether a sick refugee gets brought to Australia for treatment.

I know a nurse who was employed by the company running one of the detention centres and she told me that the manager of the centre would over-rule her treatment regime for sick detainees because it was costing too much. She had people die because she was not allowed to provide the appropriate help. She resigned before she went mad from the frustration and disappointment.

We see in the press that many of those who were brought to Australia for treatment were never admitted to hospital here. Of course they did not need to be placed in a hospital here, removing them from a detention centre went a long way to solving the mental health problems that were the root cause of their condition.

Yes, it seems that the only solution to the draconian rule imposed by Dutton and his followers will be a revolution, unfortunately for Australia. The election box is the only other alternative, but Labor are pathetic at the moment. The Greens offer some hope, if only they would bring the environmental extremists into line.

To explain what I am talking about with the Greens. Years ago I was working on an exploratory job to build a large Hydro Power Station. The station was to be built underground below an elevated area with a small rain forest west of Tully, Nth Qld. A small dam was to be built in the middle of the rain forest, with pipes to be drilled vertically down from the dam to the power station below. The water would exit the power station into the Tully river, where it ended up at originally. However some Greenies claim to have discovered some rare frog in the rain forest and that is all it took for the Bjelke Petersen government to pull the pin on the whole project. (Bjelke Petersen had a vested interest in mining coal)

Since then millions of tons of coal have been burnt generating the electricity that the hydro station would have produced.
The roll over on the medivac policy was indeed a blight on Australia. Shameful to say the least. How such people are treated today, with so little compassion and humanity is what is in store for the rest of us in the future that may/will look for various forms of care and being treated with a degree of dignity.

A country ruled by bean counters becomes a corporation and not a country in my book.

Australia appears to be drifting somewhat in my reckoning . Unsure of its place in the world and where exactly the direction it seeks to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand