Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 04:36 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,521,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Well based on where you live insulation is so effective that your home requires no heating meaning your in a warmer region. For those however who experience winter temperatures in the single digits even right down to freezing then insulation isn't enough, you will need a heating source to keep the temperature at safe levels indoors, insulation at this point will merely determine how efficient it is.

I know in New Zealand a heating source isn't even required as part of the building code, it's a disgrace and it's a significant issue here, no government wants to bear the cost
Do you work in Central Heating sales?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 08:24 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,587,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I had no idea that having heat in homes was so rare in Australia. Reminds me of the few years I lived in Japan. No central heat everything was Portable Heaters.
A lot of us just use reverse ac for heating or a portable heater in southern Australia when it's chilly. Central heating I have never come across here probably because it just doesn't get cold enough. So while its not as cold you'll feel the cold more because we're not really equipped for it.

Old 08-22-2020, 03:09 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,995,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
A lot of us just use reverse ac for heating or a portable heater in southern Australia when it's chilly. Central heating I have never come across here probably because it just doesn't get cold enough. So while its not as cold you'll feel the cold more because we're not really equipped for it.
There is nowhere in WA really cold enough for central heating.
Certainly not compared to somewhere like Canberra, or other tableland paces, that gets up to 90 frosts a year.
Coastal maritime climates, even somewhere cool like Albany, don't get that cold.

Old 08-22-2020, 03:38 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,697,702 times
Do most or all the houses in Hobart have central heating?

Old 08-22-2020, 06:23 PM

4,218 posts, read 4,887,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
No. But if I lived there I'd want it. I think that's more to do with the average Tasmanian being much poorer than a mainlander.

Old 08-22-2020, 11:23 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,664,616 times
Quote:
Can't imagine that they would need it. My area is colder than Hobart in winter, but central heating here would be an overkill imo. Just use a single fire to warm the whole house, with the fire only going in the evening and most mornings - would only use the fire during the day occasionally.

Old 08-23-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Can't imagine that they would need it. My area is colder than Hobart in winter, but central heating here would be an overkill imo. Just use a single fire to warm the whole house, with the fire only going in the evening and most mornings - would only use the fire during the day occasionally.
A fire to heat houses in the city? It seems a bit old fashioned to me and something people shouldn't be doing in the 21st century unless they live way out in the woods and off the grid. Hobart gets to near freezing every winter at night. I know I would want Central heating in that kind of weather.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:24 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,664,616 times
Quote:
A fire to heat houses in the city? It seems a bit old fashioned to me and something people shouldn't be doing in the 21st century unless they live way out in the woods and off the grid. Hobart gets to near freezing every winter at night. I know I would want Central heating in that kind of weather.
Fires are required to be clean burning models now, and there are also quite a few pellet fires in use- certainly big change from 20 years ago, when smog was a big issue here.

I think the main issue with cold houses is due to a lack of modernisation with older houses, or poor practices by occupants with newer houses. Problems that can easily be solved without too much expense.

It's an area I have experience with, and I don't buy the argument that you can have a $500000 house, but can't afford to spend $20000 for a heating/insulation upgrade. Likewise with rental houses I work with, it's mostly the ignorance of tenants that creates problems.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:24 PM

4,218 posts, read 4,887,447 times
Quote:
Unless it's existing, you can't install or use a fireplace here in inner-Sydney.

Old 08-23-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Fires are required to be clean burning models now, and there are also quite a few pellet fires in use- certainly big change from 20 years ago, when smog was a big issue here.

I think the main issue with cold houses is due to a lack of modernisation with older houses, or poor practices by occupants with newer houses. Problems that can easily be solved without too much expense.

It's an area I have experience with, and I don't buy the argument that you can have a $500000 house, but can't afford to spend $20000 for a heating/insulation upgrade. Likewise with rental houses I work with, it's mostly the ignorance of tenants that creates problems.
I would agree. If you have a $500K house and it only costs $20K to put in central heating, it's a no brainer to me. It increases comfort level immensely for not much money relative to the cost of the house. Why people would be so cheap to not install it to be comfortable at all times inside is beyond me.

Here in Vancouver, A/C is only needed for a few weeks every summer but I know quite a few people who have installed Central A/C in recent years. So the argument that heating is only needed for a few weeks of the year is the reason it's not installed doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand