Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 03:14 AM

383 posts, read 1,590,548 times

Advertisements

Well,

I'm just interested about this city. I was reading a lot of comments mainly on youtube and I found that the first 50% percent says: 'It's amazing multicultural, vibrant and green city, beautiful city, I fell in love with it....' and than I found another 50% saying: 'This city is full of ethnic gangs violent crime, its unclean and most of the suburbs are pretty rundown, everywhere you go you can find graffiti (yes, I agree, I read that this city have one of the largest graffiti ratios in the world)... So, what's your suggestions? You think that Sydney, Brisbane or anything in Australia is better than Melbourne? And btw: If you could choose from those countries - Australia or Canada - what would you choose? Thanks for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 11:26 AM

342 posts, read 1,927,380 times
Sydney is the greatest city in the world. Melbourne is mediocre at best. I find it hilarious when I read or hear about people trying to decide if they like Melbourne or Sydney better. Sydney is extraordinary. Melbourne is blah.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:51 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,636,328 times
Can you write why you think Sydney is the greatest city in the world and extraordinary and "Melbourne is blah"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
Sydney is the greatest city in the world. Melbourne is mediocre at best. I find it hilarious when I read or hear about people trying to decide if they like Melbourne or Sydney better. Sydney is extraordinary. Melbourne is blah.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:52 PM

342 posts, read 1,927,380 times
If you have been to both it should be fairly obvious. Sydney is incredibly beautiful, has wonderful weather, is hilly, has great beaches, has a real downtown with great restaurants. There is the beautiful harbor and concert hall. It is kind of like San Francisco with San Diego's weather and attitude. Quite frankly I can't think of anything nice to say about Melbourne. It isn't a dump, but there is nothing special about it.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,906,516 times
MJay you'll have to come and decide for yourself.

I can tell you how great I think Melbourne is and Cali can say how terrible, but ultimately you are the one that wants to know and people can offer opinions till the cows come home, but unless you experience it for yourself you will not know.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:16 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,957,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
Well,

I'm just interested about this city. I was reading a lot of comments mainly on youtube and I found that the first 50% percent says: 'It's amazing multicultural, vibrant and green city, beautiful city, I fell in love with it....' and than I found another 50% saying: 'This city is full of ethnic gangs violent crime, its unclean and most of the suburbs are pretty rundown, everywhere you go you can find graffiti (yes, I agree, I read that this city have one of the largest graffiti ratios in the world)... So, what's your suggestions? You think that Sydney, Brisbane or anything in Australia is better than Melbourne? And btw: If you could choose from those countries - Australia or Canada - what would you choose? Thanks for your opinions.
Don't forget!, That alot of the Graffitti in Melbourne is "Street Art", and it's actually part of Melbourne's culture and arts scene. Artists (Both Home grown and International) are encouraged, To exhibit their works in the street, Especially in places Like Hoiser lane and Canada lane.

Melbourne's main drawcard (Apart from their Tram-cars ), Is sports!, As it's considered to be the home of "Aussie Rules" Football, Australian Cricket and The Melbourne Cup (Horse Racing), It's also hosts many international events, Like Formula 1 Grand Prix, Australian Open Tennis Championship and "International Rules" Football.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Don't forget!, That alot of the Graffitti in Melbourne is "Street Art", and it's actually part of Melbourne's culture and arts scene. Artists (Both Home grown and International) are encouraged, To exhibit their works in the street, Especially in places Like Hoiser lane and Canada lane.

Melbourne's main drawcard (Apart from their Tram-cars ), Is sports!, As it's considered to be the home of "Aussie Rules" Football, Australian Cricket and The Melbourne Cup (Horse Racing), It's also hosts many international events, Like Formula 1 Grand Prix, Australian Open Tennis Championship and "International Rules" Football.

Heavy on the sport there mate!!!

Don't forget the arts!!

Old 05-22-2008, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Heavy on the sport there mate!!!

Don't forget the arts!!
Ohhh Okay, If I must?

Besides Sports, Melbourne is also very big on arts and entertainment, It's the home of the Australian Ballet, The royal melbourne Philamonic orchestra, The Heidelberg school of art, The Melbourne International comedy festival/International arts festival, A number of Film festivals and the Logies (Aussie TV Awards).

The city also has a strong live music scene, With many of Australia's top bands and singers, Hailing from There.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:49 AM

Thumbs up Well done!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Ohhh Okay, If I must?

Besides Sports, Melbourne is also very big on arts and entertainment, It's the home of the Australian Ballet, The royal melbourne Philamonic orchestra, The Heidelberg school of art, The Melbourne International comedy festival/International arts festival, A number of Film festivals and the Logies (Aussie TV Awards).

The city also has a strong live music scene, With many of Australia's top bands and singers, Hailing from There.

Very impressive!

Old 05-22-2008, 05:07 AM

I think I just fried my brain, Trying to remember all that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand