Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 09:53 PM

3,800 posts, read 2,995,173 times

Advertisements

Some interesting facts just released:

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...ralia-abs-data

Australia is becoming more diverse.
Religion as a whole is declining, with 40% No Religion.
Not saying that is a good or bad thing, and many religious beliefs are “cultural” only.
The country was still in the grip of Covid crisis and lockdowns in August last year.
But overall, the Census is a very useful tool for populations and future planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2022, 12:45 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,498,273 times
Looks like Melbourne is still by population the fastest growing city in Australia, but not by a huge amount.

Brisbane added about 85,000 more than Perth, any suggestion that Perth was going to be Australia's third largest city by the end of this decade seems to be out the window.

Old 06-28-2022, 02:25 AM

2,932 posts, read 1,310,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Some interesting facts just released:

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...ralia-abs-data

Australia is becoming more diverse.
Religion as a whole is declining, with 40% No Religion.
Not saying that is a good or bad thing, and many religious beliefs are “cultural” only.
The country was still in the grip of Covid crisis and lockdowns in August last year.
But overall, the Census is a very useful tool for populations and future planning.
The guardian here is incorrect, i wonder if they did it intentionally. They claimed 39% are Christian when it's in fact 44% and 40% are non religious when the survey reveals it's 39%. I suppose what does one expect from a far left media site lol.

It's changing across the west like this which I'd argue is why it's becoming wackier. I was shocked that the majority of the population still identify as Christian though as the rhetoric you get from the non religious is that Australia is an atheistic country where religious people should keep their views to themselves and let the non religious decide things according to their views. The non religious are just at 39%, that's hardly a majority but they behave as if it's their land, always has been and that religious people should just put up and shut up

Thankfully it won't last long. No civilization can survive on relativism.

Last edited by Paddy234; 06-28-2022 at 02:41 AM..

Old 06-28-2022, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Looks like Melbourne is still by population the fastest growing city in Australia, but not by a huge amount.

Brisbane added about 85,000 more than Perth, any suggestion that Perth was going to be Australia's third largest city by the end of this decade seems to be out the window.
McGowan trying desperately overseas to attract skilled migrants will most likely find it difficult to convince people to live in a state that closes it's borders to it's own residents in a matter of hours. McGowan was popular around the world for all the wrong reasons, people seen WA as an island within a country.

The biggest attraction Perth has over every other main city is house prices. They have flatlined here and are still quite affordable. Brisbane is starting to get out of control

Old 06-28-2022, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
The guardian here is incorrect, i wonder if they did it intentionally. They claimed 39% are Christian when it's in fact 44% and 40% are non religious when the survey reveals it's 39%. I suppose what does one expect from a far left media site lol.

It's changing across the west like this which I'd argue is why it's becoming wackier. I was shocked that the majority of the population still identify as Christian though as the rhetoric you get from the non religious is that Australia is an atheistic country where religious people should keep their views to themselves and let the non religious decide things according to their views. The non religious are just at 39%, that's hardly a majority but they behave as if it's their land, always has been and that religious people should just put up and shut up

Id hate to pick bones with you and don't really like the guardian either, but this is what the linked article says in regards to religion.

"Christianity is on the decline
While Christianity is still the most common religion in Australia, religious diversity is increasing: 43.9% of respondents identified as Christian in the 2021 census compared to more than half in 2016 and 61% in 2011.

At the same time, more people are identifying as atheist or agnostic. Almost 40% of the population responded “no religion” on the 2021 census, an increase of 10% in the past five years"

Old 06-28-2022, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Id hate to pick bones with you and don't really like the guardian either, but this is what the linked article says in regards to religion.

"Christianity is on the decline
While Christianity is still the most common religion in Australia, religious diversity is increasing: 43.9% of respondents identified as Christian in the 2021 census compared to more than half in 2016 and 61% in 2011.

At the same time, more people are identifying as atheist or agnostic. Almost 40% of the population responded “no religion” on the 2021 census, an increase of 10% in the past five years"
Sorry I'm not able to quote the article anymore as I need to subscribe to view it again though I read under the headline Christianity is in decline that 39% identify as such and that almost 40% identify as non religious which I found strange.

Also I find it funny how they use the term 43.9% to explain Christians but then say nearly 40% to explain 38.9% of people who are non religious. Why not just say nearly 45% for Christians lol. It is the Guardian though

Old 06-28-2022, 03:06 AM

Quote:
McGowan trying desperately overseas to attract skilled migrants will most likely find it difficult to convince people to live in a state that closes it's borders to it's own residents in a matter of hours. McGowan was popular around the world for all the wrong reasons, people seen WA as an island within a country.

The biggest attraction Perth has over every other main city is house prices. They have flatlined here and are still quite affordable. Brisbane is starting to get out of control
No Debate from me on that, the median price for a sperate Dwelling in Brisbane is now almost 850k a good $200k above Perth, prices have gone up almost 30% in a year in Brisbane, something which quite possibly has gone totally under the radar. About 20 years ago Perth had the most expensive housing market in Australia, now its the cheapest among the capitals by some measures

Old 06-28-2022, 09:24 PM

6,038 posts, read 5,948,732 times
Quote:
No Debate from me on that, the median price for a sperate Dwelling in Brisbane is now almost 850k a good $200k above Perth, prices have gone up almost 30% in a year in Brisbane, something which quite possibly has gone totally under the radar. About 20 years ago Perth had the most expensive housing market in Australia, now its the cheapest among the capitals by some measures
Where did you get the idea that Perth was the most expensive housing market in Australia twenty years ago? We bought twenty two years ago and Perth was far cheaper than Sydney. Most desirable houses are not dissimilar in pricing now from Brisbane. There are cheaper ones in certain suburbs in Perth obviously but too often a reason why it is cheaper.

Old 06-28-2022, 09:29 PM

Quote:

What is difficult is finding a place to rent in the present climate. Hardly worth anyone coming when finding a place to rent is so fraught with difficulty.
I'd like the see the stats showing the number of people no longer engaged in the traditional work force. The black economy is likely staggering in its share of GDP.

Old 06-28-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:

The rise is in Hinduism and other Oriental and Eastern religions. It's been clear for sometime Christian faith is in decline. The growing Philippine population would sustain the Catholic church to an extent.

Whackier? Not sure. Just more people attempting to make a living by whatever means possible and further compete for scar ice resources. We simply don't possess the infrastructure to cope with the very high numbers of immigration of previous years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand