Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: With King Charles III ascending to the throne, do you support Australia and/or New Zealand to transi
Remain as the Commonwealth of Australia 28 40.58%
Transition to the Republic of Australia 36 52.17%
Remain as the Realm of New Zealand 19 27.54%
Transition to the Republic of New Zealand 24 34.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 10:09 PM

4,238 posts, read 4,908,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I think I have answered what they do.
Yes, you have. I was more asking that other poster who claimed they do a lot but when pressed just directed me to their website. A second rate sports carnival and a pow-wow every couple of years is not really what I'd expect from an international organisation that supposedly "does a lot of good in the world."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 05:12 PM

6,053 posts, read 5,981,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Yes, you have. I was more asking that other poster who claimed they do a lot but when pressed just directed me to their website. A second rate sports carnival and a pow-wow every couple of years is not really what I'd expect from an international organisation that supposedly "does a lot of good in the world."
I don't think it is claimed to do a lot of good in the world. At least I can't think of examples of it overestimating its importance.
My take is any chin wag between different nations can only be positive . But for those smaller island nations, probably the only platform to get a hearing for such places.
I would not over estimate its importance , as it is clearly limited, but regardless still of value for reasons mentioned.

Old 09-16-2022, 07:08 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,031,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
From what I have read many of our immigrants, even from places like China with no connection to the UK, are supportive of the monarchy.

I think there will not be a referendum again on the republic until the year of our next federal election. A lot will depend on what happens between now and then. Definitely a lot of people have the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it†mindset. I am certainly not as avid a republican as I was when I was young, perhaps because I so love the UK and London in particular.

I am very pleased to see, for once, our politicians behaving with some dignity, whether or not they are republicans. I think Albo has spoken well.
Well it the same with Canada as well as the majority of immigrants there are from India and China too. Yet of course, Canada has a huge French speaking population and East European origins populations and they don't have a connection with the UK, but generally most people are supportive of the monarchy.

Old 09-17-2022, 11:23 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,597,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Well it the same with Canada as well as the majority of immigrants there are from India and China too. Yet of course, Canada has a huge French speaking population and East European origins populations and they don't have a connection with the UK, but generally most people are supportive of the monarchy.
Not quite.

https://www.ipsos.com/en-ca/news-pol...le-of-monarchy

Old 09-17-2022, 10:30 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,330,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Don't forget that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, unlike the Maori, are not a homogenous cultural and linguistic group. There are literally hundreds of languages and distinctly different cultures. So, pragmatically, which particular language or culture could be adopted to represent those communities? Those cultures are also far more closely held, and tend to be shared only with those who personally respect what's being shared.

As for "how the Aboriginal people view the British Royal family compared to the Maori's of New Zealand," that really just reflects some of the broader cultural differences between Aus and NZ, and Maori and Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander in particular. Also the Maori were forced to formally signed away their own sovereignty and right to self determination, and accept the British monarchy in the Treaty of Waitangi. Here in Aus, the sentiment all round is much more "always was, always will be Aboriginal land." https://australian.museum/learn/firs...original-land/

The much larger size of Australia (Aus is 28 times the size of NZ) also meant that a lot of Aboriginal groups lived comparatively traditional lives, and still can today. Seriously, if you ever travel to places like the NT or northern Old, you will see a very strong Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander influence.

As for the last paragraph, in reality Australia wasn't much different than any other "new world" country. There are similar sites that point out how racism against Maori played out in NZ. Ironically, one of the reasons why New Zealand chose not to join the Australian Federation was their dislike of Australia's comparatively open immigration policies and large non-British population, particularly its Asian migrants and workers.
Yes but the Maori people aren't angry about the past and resentful of it otherwise they wouldn't respect the current Royal family. They for the most part don't care anymore compared to the Aboriginal people. The reason again for this is the lack of respect their culture was shown until recent years. I also notice those with European and Asian ancestry don't adopt the language and customs of Aboriginal people the way they do in New Zealand with Maori culture. Maori culture is imbedded in modern Kiwi culture as a whole.

Again you are correct in that Australia being much larger and under developed for it's size means there is large portion of land that is still aboriginal land. Australia reminds me of the US in it's early days, where the Native Indians still had their own reservations. As the population and quest for resources expanded they were pushed off their lands. Today the mining companies just bribe the Aboriginal elders to do this.

You are right in that racism was like any other new world country but not just new world but also the old world. The UK up until recent years was an incredibly racist country aswell. Multiculturalism killed it. The fear of the ''other'' which drives racism and xenophobia has subsided now that we realize we have nothing to fear our fellow man and we can all live together as long as we subscribe to the same rights and values.

Old 09-17-2022, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Simply because not everything should be thought of us money value. It is harmless and symbolic in nature , but as already mentioned does give a platform of sorts to small nations , as well as bringing larger very diverse nations together in their is it bi or tri yearly meetings.
What is it's symbolic value? How well as an institution is it respected? For bringing nations together? FIFA does a better job than that lol. The commonwealth is an irrelevant institution only held in esteem by aristocratic family members who try and give themselves some relevance and role to play in a world that has moved on. The Empire is long gone, it is embarrassing at this stage to hold on to a Colonial past like this.

Last edited by Paddy234; 09-17-2022 at 10:46 PM..

Old 09-18-2022, 12:01 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,515,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Yes but the Maori people aren't angry about the past and resentful of it otherwise they wouldn't respect the current Royal family. They for the most part don't care anymore compared to the Aboriginal people. The reason again for this is the lack of respect their culture was shown until recent years. I also notice those with European and Asian ancestry don't adopt the language and customs of Aboriginal people the way they do in New Zealand with Maori culture. Maori culture is imbedded in modern Kiwi culture as a whole.

Again you are correct in that Australia being much larger and under developed for it's size means there is large portion of land that is still aboriginal land. Australia reminds me of the US in it's early days, where the Native Indians still had their own reservations. As the population and quest for resources expanded they were pushed off their lands. Today the mining companies just bribe the Aboriginal elders to do this.

You are right in that racism was like any other new world country but not just new world but also the old world. The UK up until recent years was an incredibly racist country aswell. Multiculturalism killed it. The fear of the ''other'' which drives racism and xenophobia has subsided now that we realize we have nothing to fear our fellow man and we can all live together as long as we subscribe to the same rights and values.
I would argue its far more to do with the Maori better adopting western culture, and more willing to share their onw. Brisbane is home to about 100,000 Maori/Polynesian people, and they are very much a model immigrant group.

Funny enough my the only time my wife (a Korean Immigrant) has been told she is not welcome and should leave the country the offender was Aboriginal.

You can talk about past wrongs and reconciliation etc all you want, but at the end of the day other immigrants are never going to adapt aboriginal culture while on the ground the aboriginals themselves telling them to go away.

Its also worth nothing that Sydney and Brisbane are by far the biggest aboriginal communities in Australia. Together They account for over 20% of the nations aboriginals, both cities have more Aboriginals than the entire northern Territory.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-18-2022 at 12:44 AM..

Old 09-18-2022, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I would argue its far more to do with the Maori better adopting western culture. Brisbane has the 3rd largest Maori population in the world, they are very much a model immigrant group.

Its also worth nothing that Sydney and Brisbane are by far the biggest aboriginal communities in Australia. Together They account for over 20% of the nations aboriginals.

Funny enough my the only time my wife (a Korean Immigrant) has been told she is not welcome and should leave the country the offender was Aboriginal.

You can talk about past wrongs and reconciliation etc all you want, but at the end of the day other immigrants are never going to adapt aboriginal culture while on the ground the aboriginals themselves telling them to go away.
True but it would have been no doubt harder for Aboriginal people to adopt the values of a culture that despised them would you not agree? Maori culture had started to become integrated into New Zealand culture in it's early years. Funny enough the only time i ever experienced what may have been racism was by Maori's here in Australia. I was at a bar and a group of Maori's who especially in Australia like to keep to themselves. Anyway i started to chat to this Maori guy who had a few drinks as he was drifting all over the place, about New Zealand, where i used to live etc and some of his friends dragged him away and i heard something along the lines of why are you speaking to those people. They were in their own circle in which no-one would speak to and they wouldn't speak to others so i was hoping to make them feel more comfortable. People usually become more insular when they are surrounded by a culture more foreign to their own, i noticed this exact same thing at times with some Irish and Brits aswell as other nationalities so one can only understand with Aboriginal they see all these other cultures coming here who simply have no regard for the first peoples that live here and more so have no respect.

It's clear some aboriginal people are bitter but what has the Australian government done to reconcile this shameful past? Bribe them with more benefits while still having the likes of a British Monarchy which committed so much harm to their people and never apologised once as the head of state. Aboriginals see modern Australia not much different than it's colonial past largely because it still hangs on to it.

At the end of the day Maori's could vote almost a century before Aboriginal people in Australia, they were much more involved in the democratic process of the country while Aboriginals were pushed aside, seen as undesirables, given no rights and were either westernized or ostracised. I would say while Maori's adopted western culture it's clear modern kiwi people also adopt aspects of pacific culture so it's a merger of the both. Australia is solely as western nation that is slowly becoming more Asian. Nothing wrong with that but you certainly don't see as much influence from the indigenous people and culture as you do in New Zealand

Old 09-18-2022, 01:02 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,515,273 times
x
Quote:
True but it would have been no doubt harder for Aboriginal people to adopt the values of a culture that despised them would you not agree? Maori culture had started to become integrated into New Zealand culture in it's early years. Funny enough the only time i ever experienced what may have been racism was by Maori's here in Australia. I was at a bar and a group of Maori's who especially in Australia like to keep to themselves. Anyway i started to chat to this Maori guy who had a few drinks as he was drifting all over the place, about New Zealand, where i used to live etc and some of his friends dragged him away and i heard something along the lines of why are you speaking to those people. They were in their own circle in which no-one would speak to and they wouldn't speak to others so i was hoping to make them feel more comfortable. People usually become more insular when they are surrounded by a culture more foreign to their own, i noticed this exact same thing at times with some Irish and Brits aswell as other nationalities so one can only understand with Aboriginal they see all these other cultures coming here who simply have no regard for the first peoples that live here and more so have no respect.

It's clear some aboriginal people are bitter but what has the Australian government done to reconcile this shameful past? Bribe them with more benefits while still having the likes of a British Monarchy which committed so much harm to their people and never apologised once as the head of state. Aboriginals see modern Australia not much different than it's colonial past largely because it still hangs on to it.

At the end of the day Maori's could vote almost a century before Aboriginal people in Australia, they were much more involved in the democratic process of the country while Aboriginals were pushed aside, seen as undesirables, given no rights and were either westernized or ostracised

You need to remember that Australia is a federation of states, Section 41 of the Constitution deals with the right to vote and provides only that persons having the right to vote in State elections have the right to vote in Federal elections.

In south Australia the aboriginal male right to vote got was passed in 1856, for Victoria it was 1857, and NSW 1858. QLD was the last state to give aboriginals the vote in 1962. I assume you were indirectly referring to the 1969 referendum in that post? The reality is it did not really give aboriginals any extra rights at all, it just took responsibly away from the states which governed those rights until that time and gave them to the commonwealth instead.

Old 09-18-2022, 01:18 AM

1,477 posts, read 1,351,292 times
Quote:

At the end of the day Maori's could vote almost a century before Aboriginal people in Australia, they were much more involved in the democratic process of the country while Aboriginals were pushed aside, seen as undesirables, given no rights and were either westernized or ostracised. I would say while Maori's adopted western culture it's clear modern kiwi people also adopt aspects of pacific culture so it's a merger of the both. Australia is solely as western nation that is slowly becoming more Asian. Nothing wrong with that but you certainly don't see as much influence from the indigenous people and culture as you do in New Zealand
One of the myths about the "1967 referendum" is that it gave Aboriginal Australians the right to vote. It did not. In reality those constitutional changes simply made the federal government responsible for legislation relating to indigenous Australians, which had been previously been a state government issues along with most other "domestic" issues.

For example, an indigenous woman could vote in South Australia in 1894, well before women could vote in many countries (e.g 1918 in the UK for national elections, Canada and Sweden). That Aboriginal woman could then vote in federal elections after 1901 because she was entitled to vote in that state. Other states were a little slower in granting voting rights to all indigenous people.

It was only WA and Qld that were outliers in finally removing all remaining restrictions on the right of indigenous people to vote.

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 09-18-2022 at 01:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand