Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 10:21 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,960,951 times

Advertisements

It has been officially declared to be so now. Something some of us have long known, if for differing reasons given by government.

7% of the population are in the country on short term visas. I don't see an issue in that so much as it includes International students. That cohort seem to ever courted as it is. The time they can remain after studies has been extended.
Degrees from Indian universities will gain full recognition as being the equivalent of an Australian degree.

Already studying in Australia is seen as a way to remain, thus being attractive. It is big business costing students big bucks, naturally they expect the reward of PR after such an expenditure.

Then there are the International Back packers included in this sum total. Ever more casual labour working in agriculture.

Then the normal immigration running at record numbers. Why do we need such huge numbers in a time when less workers will soon be needed in many areas?

Yes it artificially lifts GST and keeps the price of housing high but good for the nation? Hardly. At least very much to be convinced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2023, 02:32 AM

The record turbo immigration is contributing to the havoc within the housing market. Rentals are close to impossible to find in most cities. At least affordable non rip off rents.

Yet still overseas investors, namely Chinese for a large part, can purchase Australian properties. Canada has stopped this abuse , meaning ever more turning to Australia.

I could say more about that, but best not and focus the blame onto the governments continued allowance of this.

ever more Australians are enduring homelessness, sleeping in cars or paying exurbanite rent increases to maintain a roof over their heads.

Old 04-27-2023, 05:10 AM

2,937 posts, read 1,315,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
The record turbo immigration is contributing to the havoc within the housing market. Rentals are close to impossible to find in most cities. At least affordable non rip off rents.

Yet still overseas investors, namely Chinese for a large part, can purchase Australian properties. Canada has stopped this abuse , meaning ever more turning to Australia.

I could say more about that, but best not and focus the blame onto the governments continued allowance of this.

ever more Australians are enduring homelessness, sleeping in cars or paying exurbanite rent increases to maintain a roof over their heads.
The housing crisis unfortunately is exacerbated by lack of labour. We waited 7 months just to get a roof on our house. 7 months for Roof carpenter and roof tiles. That's why they are pushing for a greater number of workers. The lack of labour here is insane

Old 04-27-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
The housing crisis unfortunately is exacerbated by lack of labour. We waited 7 months just to get a roof on our house. 7 months for Roof carpenter and roof tiles. That's why they are pushing for a greater number of workers. The lack of labour here is insane
If more people actually done their trade or other related work perhaps we would not be suffering such a shortage. I have related on other threads just what a good part of the problem is and is highly visible around me.

Saying that I had a plumber visit and perform required tasks within three days of calling just the other week. We can import all the people in the world, but quite simply if' easier' ways are discovered or perhaps known beforehand it won't make a lot of difference.

But quite simply Australia has been running turbo immigration intake for some years now, only interrupted by the Corona Virus which witnessed a loss of people. That has been more than made up with the massive intake since. Still we do not appear to be any better off, indeed worse, with little rental property available and strains on the infrastructure and declining living standards.

But if as you claim to witness, we have workers on building sites impacted by meth (ice) things are far worse than even I thought.

Last edited by the troubadour; 04-27-2023 at 05:04 PM..

Old 04-27-2023, 08:47 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,895,160 times
Quote:
Only if they are new. I'd have no issue with banning that though.

I am inclined to agree with most of what you're saying, troubes. There are far too many people coming into this country. Running a glorified visa system through the auspices of university is not that way forward. It seems at this point we're just importing millions of Indian Deliveroo riders and not much else. I'm pretty certain the migration program that has worked for the last 25 or so years is about to come under a lot more scrutiny from the public because there are just too many people coming into basically two cities.

I have no issue with migration, but running a 500k/year system is getting well beyond normal. This is a country of 25m people not 250m. And yeah, I'm not really interested in living New New Delhi or New Shanghai which is what is happening quite rapidly right now.

Old 04-27-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Only if they are new. I'd have no issue with banning that though.

I am inclined to agree with most of what you're saying, troubes. There are far too many people coming into this country. Running a glorified visa system through the auspices of university is not that way forward. It seems at this point we're just importing millions of Indian Deliveroo riders and not much else. I'm pretty certain the migration program that has worked for the last 25 or so years is about to come under a lot more scrutiny from the public because there are just too many people coming into basically two cities.

I have no issue with migration, but running a 500k/year system is getting well beyond normal. This is a country of 25m people not 250m. And yeah, I'm not really interested in living New New Delhi or New Shanghai which is what is happening quite rapidly right now.
Listening to and reading the recent proposed reforms in no way sooths my concern. In fact just confirms that we are on a path of probably no return, which over the next decade will transform this country as never before, to the point of being unrecognizable.

There are too few voices speaking out about most all the rot that is going down in this country as vested interests and others which don't have the well being and interest of Australia at heart continue to dominate the narrative.

We had a quite adequate immigration policy at the turn of the century. There simply isn't the need for mass people . As for slowing the ageing population, what poppy ****. Those coming in now will be old in thirty needs. Are we going to need to double immigration constantly to cover that?

We are a lazy country. Prefer to bring in people that were trained at others expense , often depleting developing world of much needed expertise, or in the case of giants like India and Sub Continent, taking their burden of having too many uni educated off their hands. Although little idea in the quality of that education or if indeed obtained by corruption . India's education degrees soon to be considered on par with an Australian degree.

All i can say is ever more from the region are moving in around me and have no 'traditional' means of earning a living in numerous cases that I can see.

Old 04-27-2023, 09:13 PM

It seems even Back Packers will be able to acquire PR as well as International Students. It seems somewhat insane and out of control.

No party will tackle this , akin to the drugs running rampant in our cities I suppose , although the two are not totally unrelated.

Old 04-28-2023, 06:49 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:

Not quite.

The ban which started in January, lasts only for 2 years and is only for residential property.

There are exceptions where non-Canadians can buy residential land, someone here on a work permit is one.

Plus non-Canadians can buy land zoned for residential use, that has yet to be built on and recreation properties outside of a city metro area are exempt as well.

Here is the act. Notice the amendments on the top.

https://tinyurl.com/ypkura4k

Some say it won't change much in the cost of housing, but surely in two years we will know.

Old 04-29-2023, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not quite.

The ban which started in January, lasts only for 2 years and is only for residential property.

There are exceptions where non-Canadians can buy residential land, someone here on a work permit is one.

Plus non-Canadians can buy land zoned for residential use, that has yet to be built on and recreation properties outside of a city metro area are exempt as well.

Here is the act. Notice the amendments on the top.

https://tinyurl.com/ypkura4k

Some say it won't change much in the cost of housing, but surely in two years we will know.
Thanks for filling in the gaps. But I have heard the Canadian ban has at least in part, been responsible for increased China housing investment in Australia. A most unwelcome outcome in my opinion.

I seem to recall New Zealand tackling this issue as well. But better research it before relying on memory.

Old 04-29-2023, 07:07 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Thanks for filling in the gaps. But I have heard the Canadian ban has at least in part, been responsible for increased China housing investment in Australia. A most unwelcome outcome in my opinion.

I seem to recall New Zealand tackling this issue as well. But better research it before relying on memory.
It sounds logical that would happen. Like water, investment monies have to flow somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand