Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:08 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Yes, those are very unproductive days. Perth gets at least a few of those days most every summer, some years more often than others. It just saps your energy. It'd be way worse without aircon. First summer we lived in this house, it had no aircon and even worse, no ceiling insulation. That was unbearable. We fixed those defects right away. Makes it more bearable but you don't want to move too far away from the rooms that are cooled.
I confess the days I was describing in the above post are from last summer when we had brown out after brown out because it was sooo hot for too many days in a row that the electricity demand outstripped supply. No amount of aircon will save us if there's no electricity to run it.

But you're right, you do need aircon and good insulation and blinds to keep the sun out and door socks to stop the heat coming in but even with all that I don't know anyone that can afford to keep the whole house airconditioned and you do need to pretty much camp out where the aircon is. Used to be I'd only expect that in Perth and WA but it seems to be happening more frequently here.

It's weird Vichel because I don't remember it being like that when I was a kid and we used to have dreadful heatwaves then....of course then we could just go play under the sprinkler...but that can't be the only thing that saved us?

Quote:
Most days we get the afternoon seabreeze, the Fremantle Doctor, come in but there are the odd extremely hot days where it doesn't. Especially worse at night. Melbourne doesn't seem to get much in the way of cooling seabreezes on those hot days you get. I was there one summer when it hit 37 with not one tiniest puff of breeze all day or night. Hellish.
Yes! You do seem to get that nice breeze there to cool everything down and make it more bearable. Here it's like stepping into an oven that never gets turned off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Glad you enjoyed my tid-bit about winter clothing.
I did, thank you very much.

Quote:
Sounds horrible, I'll just have to take your word for that.
Well if you do come here and stay, particularly over the summer months, you're bound to experience it yourself at some point.

Quote:
Ah yes, I love those days too;
36 C with less than 60% humidity or 39 C with less than 40% humidity.
As long as there's a cooling breeze, I'm there!

Quote:
Imho, Canada generally doesn't get weather like that. (many of my less-heat tolerant brethren would strongly-disagree )
I've probably only been that hot maybe 10 days in my lifetime, and that degree of discomfort never lasted all day.
So we're pretty much the opposite of each other CC. I have probably about that many days experience with SNOW. haha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 11:31 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
But you're right, you do need aircon and good insulation and blinds to keep the sun out and door socks to stop the heat coming in but even with all that I don't know anyone that can afford to keep the whole house airconditioned and you do need to pretty much camp out where the aircon is. Used to be I'd only expect that in Perth and WA but it seems to be happening more frequently here.
It'd be easier to keep the houses cool and to not have to run the aircon as long, if said houses were built better. By 'better', I mean thermal paned windows, insulated walls, etc. That should just be a standard, yet we insist on building shells for houses here. So much for reducing emissions if we don't prevent the excessive use of power in the first place. Even with the blinds down, the heat radiates inward from the hot windows. And the walls are all really warm, hot even when the sun is baking on them.

Quote:
It's weird Vichel because I don't remember it being like that when I was a kid and we used to have dreadful heatwaves then....of course then we could just go play under the sprinkler...but that can't be the only thing that saved us?
Perth summers have always been hot. I remember the grapes turning to raisins in one day on our grapevine here in Perth back when I was a kid. That happened last year for the first time since I've been back. Memories of the "good old days" - gorgeous luscious grapes ruined .

I remember our chooks expiring in the heat. I remember sitting in school on those really hot days, no aircon, no fans, in my uniform, socks and shoes and falling asleep at my desk and the miserable old battleaxes we had for teachers would get all cross. I'd walk home from school and by the time I got home I'd be crying I was so uncomfortable. Last time my daughter felt like that I told her to take her shoes off and jump in the pool, clothes and all. Nothing like a good dunk to cool you down.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:31 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
A friend sent me this email the other day, Coldie, and I thought of you ...

THE DIARY OF AN ENGLISH MAN

August 31st
Just got transferred with work from grey old London to our new home in Newman, Western Australia. Now this is a town that knows how to live! Beautiful, sunny days and warm, balmy evenings. I watched the sunset from a deckchair by the pool yesterday. It was beautiful. I've finally found my new home. I love it here....
Ta for posting.
I've seen that story before done for cities like Dallas Texas.
It was neat seeing the Aussie twist to it, talking about the flies.

However I won't be wondering "...How do people actually live with weeks of 35+ C?...",
when we have to live weeks of -10 C or colder; perhaps equally hard for the average Canadian, but severe-cold is 10x harder for me.
Same thing about the A/C only cooling the house to 25 C, feeling like 30 C.
That is actually an ideal indoor temp for me... so it's far from making me angry.
In the words of Monty Python "...Oh no, not the COMFY CHAIR!..."

Old 10-21-2009, 11:42 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Ta for posting.
I've seen that story before done for cities like Dallas Texas.
It was neat seeing the Aussie twist to it, talking about the flies.
Yes, the flies are worse than the heat for me. They are truly Satanically, diabolically exasperating bloody things. Persistent like you wouldn't believe. And there are so many of them!! I've taken to wearing netting under my hat when I'm outside doing stuff like weeding or cleaning the pool or anything where my hands are not free to continuously swat the friggin' things.

Quote:
However I won't be wondering "...How do people actually live with weeks of 35+ C?...", ... so it's far from making me angry.
In the words of Monty Python "...Oh no, not the COMFY CHAIR!..."
Sounds perfect for you then.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
It'd be easier to keep the houses cool and to not have to run the aircon as long, if said houses were built better. By 'better', I mean thermal paned windows, insulated walls, etc. That should just be a standard, yet we insist on building shells for houses here. So much for reducing emissions if we don't prevent the excessive use of power in the first place. Even with the blinds down, the heat radiates inward from the hot windows. And the walls are all really warm, hot even when the sun is baking on them.
Yes! And if you do try to do things to make the house better it's prohibitively expensive. I'm actually looking forward to checking out the differences at MM's place. It fascinates me that he puts a Winter door on the house.

Quote:
Perth summers have always been hot. I remember the grapes turning to raisins in one day on our grapevine here in Perth back when I was a kid. That happened last year for the first time since I've been back. Memories of the "good old days" - gorgeous luscious grapes ruined .
Oh I think I'd have cried too, if I'd watched that. I know when we had our orchard we'd have to go out and pick as many of the fruits as we could before the really hot days. AND there were days when you could pick blood plums off the ground and they'd be so hot they'd taste stewed almost.

Quote:
I remember our chooks expiring in the heat. I remember sitting in school on those really hot days, no aircon, no fans, in my uniform, socks and shoes and falling asleep at my desk and the miserable old battleaxes we had for teachers would get all cross. I'd walk home from school and by the time I got home I'd be crying I was so uncomfortable. Last time my daughter felt like that I told her to take her shoes off and jump in the pool, clothes and all. Nothing like a good dunk to cool you down.
Did you used to WISH that it would hit the magical number that we were allowed to go home on? I can't remember what it was.... 40c maybe?........
They used to give us the rev up too specially after lunch when all you wanted to do was snooze. I do remember it being so hot my feet would burn in my shoes.

A pool is great on a hot day.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Yes, the flies are worse than the heat for me. They are truly Satanically, diabolically exasperating bloody things. Persistent like you wouldn't believe. And there are so many of them!! I've taken to wearing netting under my hat when I'm outside doing stuff like weeding or cleaning the pool or anything where my hands are not free to continuously swat the friggin' things.

Sounds perfect for you then.
I've heard about the "bush flies", "blow flies" and the "Australian Salute."
I was thinking I would prefer netting too, except if it becomes extremely-humid;
nets probably trap excess body-vapour making muggy-heat worse.
Would a yard full of ladybugs help? They seem to be a popular way to garden without pesticide.

You took my last post slightly "out-of-context," () but northern Oz would probably still not be too bad for me.
Had that story said "...Weeks of 40+ C with A/C incapable of making indoor temps under 30 C..."
then that could get on my nerves the same way "Late-Autumn" does here.
(Ambient indoor temps under 30 C should allow me to comfortably handle extreme heat )

Old 10-22-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
"Door socks"?
Don't your homes come with "weather stripping" for the doors, as an automobile would to keep the rain out?
For doors that swing, all homes here have weather stripping at least on the bottom.

Quote:
Yes! You do seem to get that nice breeze there to cool everything down and make it more bearable. Here it's like stepping into an oven that never gets turned off.
Even in extreme heat, total calmness is rare in Toronto.
In the afternoon we get "wafts" (too weak to call them gusts) of 15+ km/h lasting say 3-5 seconds every 15-30 seconds.
But on our worst days we have humidity so high, it's like you have your head permanently held over a hot soup bowl.
The air feels thick and creamy, and your sweat takes on a thick, gooey-feeling; like being covered in "warm-butter" instead of something 100% liquid.
I gather Melbourne's humidity never feels quite that bad?

Quote:
I did, thank you very much.

Well if you do come here and stay, particularly over the summer months, you're bound to experience it yourself at some point.
No worries.

I'll definitely post if that ever happens to me.

Quote:
As long as there's a cooling breeze, I'm there!
Wow! You're more heat-tolerant than I'd thought.
Especially if you understand how 36 C with 55% humidity feels...
(exactly like my above post, with "Toronto's worst humidity" )

There are many Canadians that I know who are always mad once it hits 33 C.
(We tend to have humidity above 40% most of the year, heat waves included)

Quote:
So we're pretty much the opposite of each other CC. I have probably about that many days experience with SNOW. haha!
Well we are definitely opposite in terms of "weather experience."

ILNC, a CD-member from the Houston, TX area is literally my "temperature-preference opposite;"
75 F (24 C) is always "too hot" for her.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
"Door socks"?
Don't your homes come with "weather stripping" for the doors, as an automobile would to keep the rain out?
For doors that swing, all homes here have weather stripping at least on the bottom.
Well I don't know about new houses so much, but in most of the houses I've been in over the years a door sock, particularly on the external doors is a necessity. Can't say as I've seen too much in the way of weather stripping. I know you can buy it, just don't know too many people that do.
I do see door socks quite frequently though. The ones on this link are a little fancy though. All the ones we have here are just a fabric tube stuffed with sawdust, least I think it's sawdust. If I'm short on door socks, I just roll up a towel.

Doorsocks Water Eating Draft Stoppers

Quote:
Even in extreme heat, total calmness is rare in Toronto.
In the afternoon we get "wafts" (too weak to call them gusts) of 15+ km/h lasting say 3-5 seconds every 15-30 seconds.
But on our worst days we have humidity so high, it's like you have your head permanently held over a hot soup bowl.
The air feels thick and creamy, and your sweat takes on a thick, gooey-feeling; like being covered in "warm-butter" instead of something 100% liquid.
I gather Melbourne's humidity never feels quite that bad?
We have had humidity but don't seem to get as much of it as further up North. To be honest once I hit hot (as in my internal thermostat says YOU ARE HOT) I'm not much fussed about humidity or temperature. I just want to cool down. Probably not as keen a weather reader as other folks.

Quote:
No worries.

I'll definitely post if that ever happens to me.
Sweet! I'm certainly intending to post my experiences with the arctic temps I'm about to "enjoy".

Quote:
Wow! You're more heat-tolerant than I'd thought.
Especially if you understand how 36 C with 55% humidity feels...
(exactly like my above post, with "Toronto's worst humidity" )

There are many Canadians that I know who are always mad once it hits 33 C.
(We tend to have humidity above 40% most of the year, heat waves included)
I'm not very heat tolerant at all to be honest but I did notice that when we were in Queensland it was stinking hot some days BUT I coped as long as there was a breeze. Like I said knowing what the temp and the percentage humidity are don't really help me much. I just go with how I'm feeling. (and take action accordingly)

Quote:
Well we are definitely opposite in terms of "weather experience."

ILNC, a CD-member from the Houston, TX area is literally my "temperature-preference opposite;"
75 F (24 C) is always "too hot" for her.
Yeah, my thermostat and how I'm coping, either with hot or cold, does depend a lot on what I'm doing and how I'm dressed which is why the whole "how to dress for winter in Ma" is such an issue for me.
Trying on jumpers and jackets and coats and scarves here now I'm getting so hot and bothered I have to give up after an hour and it's not like it's been hot weather here. But I also figure that when I get over there the weather is going to laugh at my feeble attempts to pack warm. Conversely there have been days under 24c where I have become overheated.
It's hard to explain....

Old 10-23-2009, 01:55 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
"Door socks"?
You Canadians and your weather stripping.. such funny people
Had no weather stripping in door in ADL, I had a wind snake (I called it that instead of sock) on bottom of door, outside, in winter to prevent cold air from coming in and keep what little heat I was able to keep from no roof insulation from escaping. Brrrrr.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
You Canadians and your weather stripping.. such funny people
Had no weather stripping in door in ADL, I had a wind snake (I called it that instead of sock) on bottom of door, outside, in winter to prevent cold air from coming in and keep what little heat I was able to keep from no roof insulation from escaping. Brrrrr.
Yeah, my Nan and that side of the family calls them "snakes".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand