Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:44 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
I didnt think it was 'just me' ..some very odd undercurrents there. I honestly thought they were just a bit slow...you know...up there. In the head.
But it is very cliquey and the folks are suspicious of just about everything. Who could blame 'em though, with that history? (And in the red corner.....mini?? Oh miniiiiii!!)

T, You're now our City Data Mainliner Australian! I have no idea what that means, I made it up.
Maybe they're making up for being the only colony without Convicts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 10:01 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Maybe they're making up for being the only colony without Convicts.
Like teenage suburban white-boys that want to pretend to be "hard ganstas",
you think they might be envious of the "convict states?"

Old 10-13-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I'm actually kinda proud of our convinct heritage...well, not really, but I think any South Australian who boasts about being the 'free settler colony' is a snob. If it weren't for convicts there would be no Australia.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:41 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times
Quote:
I think they're envious of everybody. Its funny, they are so soooo rabid about the place. It's like they need to continually reassure themselves that they are in fact Better Than Everyone Else. I think the convict thing is just a convenient peg.
A lot of them felt that crime there was getting out of control for the size of the place..people I talked to I mean. I didn't notice it particularly, and was actually surprised they felt that way. I mean..NOTHING happens there.
Sydney is also very boastful and arrogant, but you can kind of see why. I don't like that mentality, however I think it correlates to the geography and appearance of the place. The idea that it's actually a 'world city' is hilarious though. It has such a conservative side to it in terms of lack of innovation or cultural richness. The ridiculous licensing laws are one example of this. Again, it's like they need to convince themselves how good they are. A little too ..what do you call it, when someone is telling you how good they are with a bit of a note of desparation? That sort of thing.
Over 'n' out from the Curmudgeon!

Old 10-14-2009, 06:16 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
I don't have a problem with people who are proud of their convict heritage and I don't see what the big deal is about South Australians being proud of their free state heritage. I wouldn't call it jealousy or snobery. Let people celebrate and be proud of their past. Period. You won't find me saying that people from outside SA are jealous or snobs.

The only time I feel sad about the past is when I hear stories of how the first australians were treated by both convicts and free men. I think they as a people would have been better off if England did not need a dumping ground for criminals.

Last edited by minibrings; 10-14-2009 at 07:10 PM..

Old 10-14-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I don't have a problem with people who are proud of their convict heritage and I don't see what the big deal is about South Australians being proud of their free state heritage. I wouldn't call it jealousy or snobery. Let people celebrate and be proud of their past. Period. You won't find me saying that people from outside SA are jealous or snobs.

The only time I feel sad about the past is when I hear stories of how the first australians were treated by both convicts and free men. I think they as a people would have been better off if England did not need a dumping ground for criminals.
Is this perhaps an example of "tall poppy syndrome?"
From what I've learned on City-Data...
I think it's quaint/charming/amusing that it's popular in SA to remind everyone they were "not a convict state"
(reminds me of modern U.S. Southern "state-pride")
but I'm not impressed with their supposed "suspiciousness" and "clique-ishness."

Or if those settlers weren't so unforgiving?
In the southern U.S. there were a few tribes like the Cherokee who were noted as having close ties to their neighbours and were somewhat-integrated into society; close enough that when the Southern states left the Union and were threatened with war, the Cherokee also decided to side with the new Confederacy. (the Cherokee probably could have stayed out of the War, but they chose to join and help their neighbours) I'm guessing these smoother relations might have dated back to colonial times, as the Cherokee I hear were natives of North Carolina; one of the original "13 colonies."

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 10-14-2009 at 09:06 PM..

Old 10-14-2009, 10:26 PM

^ The situation here was similar but also very different. The aborigines were somewhat more fragmented and less organised, so much so they were considered part of the local fauna until 1967. Many settlers considered them akin to the vast forests and other natural 'obstacles' to growth and took it for granted they would just disappear as civilisation took root in the new land.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:09 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,564 times
It seems sad to me people have to feel good for not being descendants of convicts. I can boast the same I suppose, a sydney-sider whose grandparents settled here from Europe. So I am better than the rest of NSW? please...

Someone said they are backwards in SA, Im sorry but the whole country is backwards, but Sydney the least , probably because everyone is from overseas here..where is the sophistication in this place? It wasnt too apparent to me until recently, as I have to deal with people from other states on a daily basis I sort of lost the little pride i had in being from this country. Idiots, the country is full of people who cant spell / hold a decent conversation.

i had more informed intelligent conversations in Cuba, but then the average Australian wouldnt know where that even is..

Old 10-15-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ The situation here was similar but also very different. The aborigines were somewhat more fragmented and less organised, so much so they were considered part of the local fauna until 1967. Many settlers considered them akin to the vast forests and other natural 'obstacles' to growth and took it for granted they would just disappear as civilisation took root in the new land.
They were a lot more nomadic than North American aboriginals?

I suppose the Cherokee land might be the opposite of most of Australia; they lived in the relatively-lush foothills and mountains of the southern Appalachians. Annual rainfall patterns varying between 1,100-2000mm throughout their territory.
I wonder how they'd compare with tribes from the Plains and U.S. desert SW.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:15 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
but I'm not impressed with their supposed "suspiciousness" and "clique-ishness."
Personally, thats not what I found. I hung out with mates who's families have been in ADL since the early days, recent immigrants, shop keepers, etc. Met a bus driver and the next time I boarded he made a CD for me. ADL is just like any other city, its how you approach people. You're a friendly guy Coldy.

Last edited by minibrings; 10-15-2009 at 04:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand