Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 05:59 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if all (or most) international flights enter Australia by first stopping in Sydney?
What about flights to America, do they all enter though Sydney?

Also, I'd like to hear about flying within Australia...
Are there weekly passes of unlimited flying, or deals when you want to fly to multiple destinations?
Costs?
Is it possible to get to Shark Bay in north-western Australia by flying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 07:01 PM

1,396 posts, read 3,443,230 times
From what I've seen, there are flights to Brisbane and indirect flights to Melbourne via Auckland from the US. Last December, I flew to Melbourne via Sydney but returned from Melbourne to LA, then other connections. Therefore, not all flights to the US are from Sydney.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:29 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
No. It depends on if you are coming from the the west coast of US/Canada or via Europe.

Prices vary depending on season and origin city pair so you have to do your research via travelocity or expedia.

Qantas has an air pass, I did a google on Qantas Air Pass and I saw some info, never used one.

Best to figure out what city in Oz you are headed and just do a google search for the airport and find the airlines that serve that city.. for example:

e.g. Brisbane
Brisbane Airport - Airline Codes (http://www.bne.com.au/content/standard_v4_carrier_list.asp?name=AirlineCodes - broken link)
e.g. Melbourne
Melbourne Airport - Passenger Information - Airline Information (http://www.melbourneairport.com.au/passenger_info/airline_info/ - broken link)

From North America I've flown to Oz various ways:
SFO TO SYD (Qantas, United)
HONOLULU TO SYD (Jetstar)
JFK to SYD (Air Tahiti, layover Papeete)
LAX to SYD (Air Tahiti, layover Papeete)
LAX to SYD (Air Tahiti, layover Papeete/Auckland, code share Qantas from Auckland to SYD)
LAX to MEL (Qantas)
Newark to ADL (Singapore Air, layovers s Frankfurt/Singapore)
Newark to ADL (Malaysian, layovers Kuala Lumpur/Dubai, now Stockholm/Kuala Lumpur)
Toronto to ADL (Air New Zealand, layover Auckland, code share Air Canada to Vancouver)

Of all above, I liked Air Tahiti and ANZ (coach). when I flew Qantas I flew business class so can't comment on Qantas coach.

American is code share with Qantas so you can fly American from Toronto to JFK or LAX and from there connect to Qantas to SYD or MEL or Brissy

Domestic flights within Oz
Qantas, Jetstar, Tiger, VirginBlue
their web sites have specials and you can check the others to see if they have an airpass (doubt it).

to Shark Bay there is an airport to Monkey Mia

Last edited by minibrings; 02-28-2009 at 08:04 PM..

Old 02-28-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinuteMan View Post
From what I've seen, there are flights to Brisbane and indirect flights to Melbourne via Auckland from the US. Last December, I flew to Melbourne via Sydney but returned from Melbourne to LA, then other connections. Therefore, not all flights to the US are from Sydney.
So you can leave or enter Australia from Sydney or Melbourne by air...
How about any other cities?

Old 02-28-2009, 07:36 PM

Perth, Darwin, Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney, Gold Coast, Adelaide and Melbourne are all international airports and each has a website that lists the carriers.

Last edited by minibrings; 02-28-2009 at 07:47 PM..

Old 02-28-2009, 07:50 PM

1,396 posts, read 3,443,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
So you can leave or enter Australia from Sydney or Melbourne by air...
How about any other cities?
I flew this route with United from the northeast cause they had the best price, still do and they fly there daily as well. The route being to MEL via SYD from SFO, from MEL to LAX.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:54 PM

Some member mentioned Perth feeling more isolated from the rest of the world,
and father to go anywhere else.

Is it typically longer to fly to Perth from North America because of flights stopping first in the East?
Or can it be about the same?

Old 02-28-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:

Is it typically longer to fly to Perth from North America because of flights stopping first in the East?
dunno, you can do an expedia search comparing toronto to sydney and toronto to perth and it will show you flight times and distance travelled.
It was longer coming via Europe/Middle East from North America but I don't remember now.

syd to perth nonstop is 3257 kilometers and just under 5 hours.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:57 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:

One way to go to Perth and bypass the crappy Los angeles airport or the east coast airports in Australia is to fly Emirates from NYC to Dubai and then Emirates on to Perth.

Any way you do it in terms of going to Western Australia, it is going to be a long trip.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:59 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Also, I'd like to hear about flying within Australia...
Are there weekly passes of unlimited flying, or deals when you want to fly to multiple destinations?
Costs?
I think Qantas still has something called the aussie air pass which gives you a few domestic flights for a few hundred dollars and flexibility in booking.

You can research it on www.qantas.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand