Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 08:18 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,957,160 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Kamahl - What is Australia to me?

Again Kamahl asks the hard questions.

So What is Australia to you?

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 10-31-2009 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 08:35 PM

656 posts, read 2,743,144 times
Wow now we are going back in time......who is this Kamahl ???
Just kidding, but this really reveals how old we are Kangaroofarmer

Anyhow back to your question 'What is Australia to me'

Well it maybe because I live in Perth
But here you really feel your detached from the Rest of the World
I mean that in a good way..like the Worlds problems are a million miles away
As soon as you drive out of Perth, and a guess this is true for most the country
It becomes the 'Big Empty'.Empty blue sky's,Empty beaches,Empty Plains,Forests and Deserts
Its This Endless Nothing That Really Makes This Place Something

Old 11-01-2009, 02:49 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,732,343 times
Hairyandscary,
Having driven across the Nullabor in 1996, I would tend to agree with you.
Everyone should do this at least once.
Arriving in Perth after such a trip was worth its weight in gold.
Driving across such vast expanses is what Australia means to me, past the road kill and the crows, and then finally back into a typical suburban enviroment.
Similarly doing day trips within my local area, to local Hunter Valley wineries, and then to the beautiful beaches and coastline of Newcastle and Port Stephens, from suburban beaches to deserted beaches in a very short distance, is what Australia is all about.
There is so much in our own backyard, no matter where you live, which is what makes Australia so unique.
You live in the world's best city, in Perth, by far, and that makes the isolation pretty easy to take.
My city would rank a very distant second!

Old 11-01-2009, 07:21 AM

I didn't mean to make you feel old Hairy.

To me, Australia, is being able to experience the wide open spaces and unique bushland, learn some recent history and just having the freedom to do your own thing.

As For all our imperfections and problems, This is actually a pretty good country to live in.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 11-01-2009 at 07:32 AM..

Old 11-01-2009, 09:24 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Hairyandscary,
Having driven across the Nullabor in 1996, I would tend to agree with you.
Everyone should do this at least once.
Arriving in Perth after such a trip was worth its weight in gold.
Driving across such vast expanses is what Australia means to me, past the road kill and the crows, and then finally back into a typical suburban enviroment.
Similarly doing day trips within my local area, to local Hunter Valley wineries, and then to the beautiful beaches and coastline of Newcastle and Port Stephens, from suburban beaches to deserted beaches in a very short distance, is what Australia is all about.
There is so much in our own backyard, no matter where you live, which is what makes Australia so unique.
You live in the world's best city, in Perth, by far, and that makes the isolation pretty easy to take.
My city would rank a very distant second!
Perth's isolation would be easy to take if there was more interesting stuff here. How about some decent mountains and snow for a start? I guess we are blessed in some ways: the coast, forest, outback, but I for one find the city itself Dullsville to the max at times.

I agree with you Hairy, driving across the nation is a must-do. I found it an almost life-changing experience; it really did make me understand the country better, yet I still haven't done the red centre.

I know the feeling you are talking about, the exhiliration of arriving in Perth. For me it was when I got into Adelaide. Was about 9pm, I'd left Port Lincoln that morning, it was bucketing down and I was driving down the highway. I remember when I saw the lights of Adelaide it felt like I had 'made it' and had somehow physically connected myself to the rest of Australia. I'l have to say, it's an experience quite unlike flying, and a bit surreal.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:54 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
Wow now we are going back in time......who is this Kamahl ???
Just kidding, but this really reveals how old we are Kangaroofarmer

Anyhow back to your question 'What is Australia to me'

Well it maybe because I live in Perth
But here you really feel your detached from the Rest of the World
I mean that in a good way..like the Worlds problems are a million miles away
As soon as you drive out of Perth, and a guess this is true for most the country
It becomes the 'Big Empty'.Empty blue sky's,Empty beaches,Empty Plains,Forests and Deserts
Its This Endless Nothing That Really Makes This Place Something
Im an American that did a study abroad semester in Perth. You just described it perfectly. Its been 3 years since i've come back to the states and I miss Perth everyday.

Anyway, thanks for that. As I said, you described it perfectly.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:38 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,862,854 times
We left Perth in 1997, and haven't looked back. Sorry. Now we're North Queenslanders. I still have a soft spot for Freo, though.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:43 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,904,686 times
We share a dream..... (and a crappy monopolizing telecommunications company )

YouTube - Telstra Ad - We Are Australian

And we all call Australia home....

YouTube - Qantas the Spirit of Australia - TV Ad 2009

Old 11-02-2009, 06:32 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,682,121 times
What is Australia to me?

Bathurst

YouTube - Lap of the Gods #1 - Greg Murphy Bathurst 2003

Old 11-02-2009, 07:36 PM

If we're doing videos? Then this is also a big part of what Australia is too me.

YouTube - Harvest in Mukinbudin

This is actually filmed in the next shire over from where I live. It was special event harvest, so that's why there's so many headers in the paddock.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 11-02-2009 at 07:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand