Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 10,937 times

Advertisements

I am a black American woman considering moving to Australia with my infant biracial daughter, who is black/white. Are there any racial tensions in Australia that I should be aware of? I am thinking of moving to Brisbane or Melbourne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 01:50 AM

56 posts, read 187,094 times
I am a biracial American, and I am considering moving to OZ for my post grad program. If you do a simple search, such as going to the second page of this forum, you will find what you are looking for.

//www.city-data.com/forum/austr...nd/index2.html

Old 08-27-2009, 09:23 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
The first thing that you need to consider is getting a work permit/visa to immigrate to Australia.
As for Melbourne, it is a very nice city. I spent 6 months there some years ago and I don't remember hearing about any major racial tensions.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:45 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,724 times
As a black American, you won't feel any racial bias. Close to the majority of the populations in the large cities are born overseas. Any racism that does exist is usually directed to the Aboriginal population (although thats pretty much over with).

Lately I seem to be finding alot of Americans here in Sydney who have made Australia their home.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:48 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,632,064 times
You'll get along much better in Australia, compared to where you currently are.

Aussies are great people.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:49 PM

177 posts, read 456,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
As a black American, you won't feel any racial bias. Close to the majority of the populations in the large cities are born overseas. Any racism that does exist is usually directed to the Aboriginal population (although thats pretty much over with).

Lately I seem to be finding alot of Americans here in Sydney who have made Australia their home.
I had fun down under myself but just like anywhere else, you'll also find bigots in Auzzieland. That said, you should make the move. The only thing I did not like about Australia was the insects and some of the lethal animals.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:46 PM

519 posts, read 1,049,452 times
Well I was born in Victoria and have visited and worked in Melbourne since then but Brisbane is my home.

Brisbane is much nicer than Melbourne (which has cold and strange weather)It is also a cheaper city to live in. Queensland is gorgeous, sunny and beautiful.

I doubt you will encounter much racism, there are racists who live here unfortunately, but they are in the minority, pretty much all the racism I've seen has been toward the indiginous Aboriginal populations - which is so ugly and such a shame.

Uneducated Australians are sometimes intolerant of immigrants but you won't see them in the workplaces on the whole, they are easily avoided.

Australia is multicultural and a nice place for everyone to live!

Old 09-13-2009, 10:07 PM

177 posts, read 456,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
Well I was born in Victoria and have visited and worked in Melbourne since then but Brisbane is my home.

Brisbane is much nicer than Melbourne (which has cold and strange weather)It is also a cheaper city to live in. Queensland is gorgeous, sunny and beautiful.

I doubt you will encounter much racism, there are racists who live here unfortunately, but they are in the minority, pretty much all the racism I've seen has been toward the indiginous Aboriginal populations - which is so ugly and such a shame.

Uneducated Australians are sometimes intolerant of immigrants but you won't see them in the workplaces on the whole, they are easily avoided.

Australia is multicultural and a nice place for everyone to live!
I'll add on a few things to your excellent post to the OP

If you do move down under:
(1) don't refer to Aussies as kiwi's;
(2) Never call an Aussie a "POM"
(3) never say this out loud "the three lions are the best rugby team ever";
(4) Watch Chaser's War on Everything;
(5) do not compete with a digger when it come to alcohol.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 10,937 times
Default Thanks for the post

I believe Queensland will be the best place for me. I have enough points to qualify for a visa. I need to get my skill assessed.

Thanks for posting!

Old 09-28-2009, 07:57 PM

13 posts, read 28,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulmix View Post
I believe Queensland will be the best place for me. I have enough points to qualify for a visa. I need to get my skill assessed.

Thanks for posting!
I really hope you enjoy being in Australia!!!! They say a change is as good as a holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand