Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 11:00 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean-Melbourne View Post
I'm actually stupefied by this whole thread. lol

It really does emphasise the urban legend/fact that if it's not about the USA, Americans are as ignorant as a pet rock. Sad really.
Well Deano for seven years in Vail, CO we used to welcome 150 Australian and Kiwi workers to work for us for the winter season. Most had their view and understanding of America based on watching Oprah or CSI on TV and were completely unprepared for what America was actually like.

So I wouldn't call it ignorance, I'd say more uneducated or uninformed. And certainly someone asking about it isn't ignorance. And ignorant person is someone that doesn't ask questions or learn.

People from other countries forget the USA is a very large country with nearly the population of Europe with 306 million people and 50 individual states. It's hard enough keeping up with your own state, not to mention what is happening in the other 49 states on a daily basis. Do English or the French know what is happening on a daily basis in Poland or Greece? No I reckon not.

Traveling around Australia I have met many people that haven't even traveled to another Australian state much less overseas. Are those people ignorant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 12:36 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,931,164 times
Vichel, you always say just what I want to say, only more articulately. The OP is interested enough to want to find out more, and knows enough to know what he doesnt know....

I told you Vichel was more articulate.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:37 PM

43 posts, read 90,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Well Deano for seven years in Vail, CO we used to welcome 150 Australian and Kiwi workers to work for us for the winter season. Most had their view and understanding of America based on watching Oprah or CSI on TV and were completely unprepared for what America was actually like.

So I wouldn't call it ignorance, I'd say more uneducated or uninformed. And certainly someone asking about it isn't ignorance. And ignorant person is someone that doesn't ask questions or learn.

People from other countries forget the USA is a very large country with nearly the population of Europe with 306 million people and 50 individual states. It's hard enough keeping up with your own state, not to mention what is happening in the other 49 states on a daily basis. Do English or the French know what is happening on a daily basis in Poland or Greece? No I reckon not.

Traveling around Australia I have met many people that haven't even traveled to another Australian state much less overseas. Are those people ignorant?
Come on. You've got to admit that not knowing that if it's winter in the northern hemisphere then it's summer in the southern is pretty much primary school stuff that you learn about so early on in your life.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:17 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
well we haven't heard back from the OP.... did he abandon this thread?

Old 11-23-2009, 04:23 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
Quote:
Come on. You've got to admit that not knowing that if it's winter in the northern hemisphere then it's summer in the southern is pretty much primary school stuff that you learn about so early on in your life.
Well go back and read what the OP originally posted:

Right now, in the United States and in the rest of the Northern Hemisphere, it's winter, of course and in the Southern Hemisphere, it's summer. So that means you guys experience Christmas in the summer, rather than the winter.

What is that like? You guys don't experience white Christmases or white Thanksgivings.

I don't see anything about the OP not knowing it wasn't summer in the southern hemisphere while we have winter up north.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:12 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Yeah, I don't think we should go on bashing him. He was just curious about the whole Christmas in summer thing.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:47 PM

The best way to explain in to him is tell him to pretend he is in Miami for Christmas.. or Honolulu..
that is what Aussie Christmas can be like.. warm and sunny!

Old 11-24-2009, 01:59 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,901,173 times
Melbourne had a white Christmas in 2006. It hosed down the hail first thing christmas morning, and it was very cold, with 14C/57F as the high that day, the coldest christmas day on record. The ground was covered in hail, making it look like snow and the temp only enhanced the effect.

Pretty much every christmas for the last 5 or so years has been marred by crap weather, with overcast and temps around 19-21C / 67-70F. New Years on the other hand has seen extreme temps for the last few years, as high as 35C/95F as the clock hits midnight!

Quote:
I'm actually stupefied by this whole thread. lol

It really does emphasise the urban legend/fact that if it's not about the USA, Americans are as ignorant as a pet rock. Sad really.
First it's me, now the Americans. Go away NOW please.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
1. Melbourne had a white Christmas in 2006. It hosed down the hail first thing christmas morning, and it was very cold, with 14C/57F as the high that day, the coldest christmas day on record. The ground was covered in hail, making it look like snow and the temp only enhanced the effect.

2.First it's me, now the Americans. Go away NOW please.
1. Here in New Hampshire, 14/57 is shorts and a light jumper weather. Back in Adelaide I'd have on my winter coat!
2. LOL. Its so cliche to make fun of Americans. Yawn.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Believe me, I've heard my share of ignorant comments from Aussies when I lived there, the difference is I used my brains and did not jump to making generalizations about an entire country...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand