Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 01:53 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,891,266 times

Advertisements

Here's the link:
http://www.ministers.sa.gov.au/image...%20tinting.pdf

Previously, all states but SA allowed for a tinting of the front windows. So anyone moving interstate to SA had to remove their tint or face fines.
The new law is now in line with all the other Australian states, which allows tinting down to 35% light transmittance (65% shade) on any window,
including the rear window, but not the windscreen. (windshield)

Here's link for an example of 35% tint on all side windows:
http://www.vhoist.com/uploaded_image...00023_full.jpg
(some people wonder if it's unsafe, I don't think it's a big deal)

I'm interested in tinting myself not for appearance or security, but for the "heat-rejection" properties.
You'd still get some heating from the sun, but it'd be less insane on a very hot sunny day, like if you have to park where there's no shade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 03:33 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,506,204 times
Keep in mind that any tint which doesn't fit recommended or legal requirements on ANY window COULD be a back door your insurance company will quickly escape through should one need to make an claim after an accident. Do as I did...find out FIRST, insurance is a big enough scam as it is, the quickest way to find out if one has a claim for anything is when one puts in a claim! They'll take your premiums readily, but won't give any back that readily.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:19 PM

What I thought was funny is that in North America, usually the only places that don't allow tinting of front side-windows were in cooler, cloudier climates. Nova Scotia for example I think any tinting is illegal, while in Ontario you have to have a minimum visibility level for the driver and front passenger and anything behind you can go as dark as you like. Most of the U.S. south and southwest allow for some of the darkest legal tints, likely to accomodate their climate. There are probably less than 5 U.S. states that forbid tinting of the front windows.

South Australia isn't a very cloudy place, and being the driest state,
one would assume shade is scarce in carparks, so it seemed a little silly that they kept that old law for so long. Probably untouched for decades.
Funny how they seemed ignorant of what else was going in other states. Maybe jacq63 would find this delayed adjustment amusing...
I'm sure many residents of outback towns like Coober Pedy are pleased with this new law.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 01-20-2010 at 02:29 PM..

Old 01-20-2010, 04:20 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,506,204 times
Academics, pencil sharpeners, and paper pushers is what it's all about, creating employment for those drop kicks who go through Uni when half of em should have a shower, get their hair cut, remove the ring from their nose and just get out there in the REAL world and get their hands dirty with some REAL work. Easy shining the seats of ones strides or skirt, shuffling paper around all day on a desk, making life increasingly harder, and more and more impossible, for those who actually have to DO the work.

If the doors were closed to half those students who should never be there, who knows? the Unis may just produce some more worthwhile researchers who may actually input something of value into the community and humanity as a whole, instead of giving those "15 minutes of fame" seekers some government grant to see how much milk a person can drink before throwing up.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:10 PM

17 posts, read 62,230 times
Hoping that this law will reach their mission... Somehow I find it good but I also used tint for sun protection and tinting myself for security.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricia23 View Post
Hoping that this law will reach their mission... Somehow I find it good but I also used tint for sun protection and tinting myself for security.
I appreciate the sun protection too.
Occaisionally I can almost feel mild-sunburn on a long summer drive.
As far as "security" goes, the level of allowable tint doesn't afford much privacy, imho.
However window-tint film will hold broken glass in place, instead of pieces falling into your lap in a collision.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 01-21-2010 at 09:41 AM..

Old 02-16-2010, 08:07 AM

Thumbs up Oz a "Nanny State" and the USA infinitely more "free"?

Check this out:
Pennsylvania - State of Law or Police State?

*Imho, advantage Oz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand