Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 04:45 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankDownunder View Post
I don't want to be rich, but the very wealthy largely run the agenda of today's America, look at the current situation, the wealth are recovering from the economic crisis but the middle class is being left behind. The government is spending hand over fist, neither party has competent leaders. People HATED Bush, and now Obama's luster has faded because the bleak reality that the US now faces.

Even in the quality of life index, Australia is now much higher than the US, the US used to always be in the top three a couple of decades ago, now out of the top 10.

I like beaches, sun, and warm weather, Colorado is cold, and California is now overdeveloped and the state is bankrupt. I hear some bad rumors about San Francisco going broke, probably one of the most affluent cities in America might become another Detroit, that does not sound good. A lot of my old friends are talking about the economic crisis in California, unemployment is well above the US average, its the richest state in the union for crying out loud.
It sounds like you being in Australia is less about liking Australia, and more about running away from the US.

Look at practically every single post you've made on the forum. It's an Australia forum, not a "Why Australia is better than America" forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 05:07 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
It sounds like you being in Australia is less about liking Australia, and more about running away from the US.

Look at practically every single post you've made on the forum. It's an Australia forum, not a "Why Australia is better than America" forum.
I love it's screen name and the passport it uses to travel. Are they dancing on the streets of Montreal right now with the big hockey win?

Last edited by minibrings; 02-28-2010 at 05:20 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 05:28 PM

279 posts, read 673,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I love it's screen name and the passport it uses to travel. Are they dancing on the streets of Montreal right now with the big hockey win?
Mini....check out my last post 78 on the previous page.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
Mini....check out my last post 78 on the previous page.
OMG I know where you lived! I lived on Finniss, close to the British. It was a little too close to the British and to the Lion Hotel. I'd walk to the Library on Tynte Street and did my grocery shopping at Foodland on O'Connell. Can't believe you did not know about the 24 hour bakery. But i'm sure you were familiar with the Oxford Hotel. LOL. North Adelaide was a brilliant place to live.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:56 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
Quote:
Are they dancing on the streets of Montreal right now with the big hockey win?
The Olympics coverage is so bad here that they've just announced they're showing the third period "live" on Channel 9 Already know the score and who won. Why do they BS us like this? They must think nobody in Oz has Internet.

Pretty cool watching it as we used to watch Canucks games in that very stadium.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
The Olympics coverage is so bad here that they've just announced they're showing the third period "live" on Channel 9 Already know the score and who won. Why do they BS us like this? They must think nobody in Oz has Internet.

Pretty cool watching it as we used to watch Canucks games in that very stadium.
Im quite happy the Canadian mens hockey team won.. they really deserved it; I'm currently waiting for the closing ceremony to start. If I had stayed in Canada I would have volunteered at the games.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
OMG I know where you lived! I lived on Finniss, close to the British. It was a little too close to the British and to the Lion Hotel. I'd walk to the Library on Tynte Street and did my grocery shopping at Foodland on O'Connell. Can't believe you did not know about the 24 hour bakery. But i'm sure you were familiar with the Oxford Hotel. LOL. North Adelaide was a brilliant place to live.
I lived near the Princess Lodge and always did my shopping at Foodland on O'Connell. Yes I knew the Oxford well. Used to go all the time when I first moved there but after a while it started catering for the young 18 to 24 year olds so I stopped going. My favourite was the Queens Head. It was a small, beautiful pub with so much history and character. I just googled them and found its been renovated. Looks all modern, what a disappointment. I loved the old world atmosphere it had.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
I lived near the Princess Lodge and always did my shopping at Foodland on O'Connell. Yes I knew the Oxford well. Used to go all the time when I first moved there but after a while it started catering for the young 18 to 24 year olds so I stopped going. My favourite was the Queens Head. It was a small, beautiful pub with so much history and character. I just googled them and found its been renovated. Looks all modern, what a disappointment. I loved the old world atmosphere it had.
I'd love to find an Adelaide type pub in the northeast. Alas I think all of the pubs in North Adelaide have been yuppified. Nice to chat with someone else that used to live in post code 5006! The Foodland on O'Connell is now buried in another yuppy type mall.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I'd love to find an Adelaide type pub in the northeast. Alas I think all of the pubs in North Adelaide have been yuppified. Nice to chat with someone else that used to live in post code 5006! The Foodland on O'Connell is now buried in another yuppy type mall.
I couldn't believe it when I googled it. All art deco seating and stainless steel. What happened to the wooden bar and the old english type beer taps? It's a pitty 5006 has gone yuppy. It had such charm. Oh well, life goes on.

I must agree, nice chatting to a 5006 scholar. But I must make a move, driving to Denver tonight and probably won't get there until 11pm. At least I'll me coming home tomorrow to the mountains...

Old 02-28-2010, 07:49 PM

52 posts, read 50,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post

If you spend time in another country you start seeing your own country through their eyes. That is what happened to me, it happens to quite a few people I know who went overseas. Sydney is a lot like a less developed version of San Francisco, think SF during the 1970s well before the dot com boom changed the Bay Area. I live a 5 minute walk from Bondi, one of the best beaches on Earth, of course I love it in Oz. I get way more vacation time than I did back home, 4 weeks at full pay or 8 at half, I was lucky if I got 2 in the States. People tend to balance work and life more here.

Maybe not all parts of Australia are nice, I saw some program a while back about a group of different families who migrated to Oz, and one family in Alice Springs was absolutely miserable and left after a few months. One family in Sydney was clearly the happiest. Another in Melbourne, the kids were homesick but they eventually got used to the place.

The vast majority of North Americans I meet here usually go home after a few years, they do not last long for the most part, I know people who say there is no Costco or Taco Bell or Walmart here and then want to go back home because they miss certain things. When I was in the states, I had a huge craving for Oporto Chicken burgers and Schweppes Agrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand