Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:23 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times

Advertisements

We've been locked into an Optus broadband plan for almost 2 years now. I cannot say it has been the best service, so we are starting to think about other options.

Just after reliable service (minimal drop outs), fast speed and competitive pricing.

Does anyone out there have any recommendations or which companies and/or plans to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 11:33 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
I've heard nothing but praise about iiNet. Unfortunately we couldn't go with them when we wanted fast (for Oz) broadband as we're in some sort of special subexchange that is only serviced by Telstra for that. So I can't tell you what I think about iiNet but nobody I know has any complaints about them.

Unfortunately we had to go with Telstra for fast broadband, as we had no other choice. Something we promised we would only do when hell froze over. Which it did. I hate the fact that they count uploads with your usage, so you use up your limit quick and have to upgrade your plan. Hence, those savings in their package deals aren't as great. Plus they charge you $1 a month for extra email addresses.

We tried wireless broadband with Optus last year and it was hopeless - more fade-outs than connection. Luckily I cancelled that within the 30-day cooling off period.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:35 PM

790 posts, read 1,732,836 times
I'm with internode which has excellent speed and reliability. Unfortunately, the price reflects this

Old 04-13-2010, 11:53 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,337 times
I've heard Westnet is really good, especially for customer service. Don't have personal experience though. I'm with iPrimus which is really S-L-O-W... though that could be because I live in a country town with a dodgy phone exchange.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:55 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I've heard nothing but praise about iiNet. Unfortunately we couldn't go with them when we wanted fast (for Oz) broadband as we're in some sort of special subexchange that is only serviced by Telstra for that. So I can't tell you what I think about iiNet but nobody I know has any complaints about them.

Unfortunately we had to go with Telstra for fast broadband, as we had no other choice. Something we promised we would only do when hell froze over. Which it did. I hate the fact that they count uploads with your usage, so you use up your limit quick and have to upgrade your plan. Hence, those savings in their package deals aren't as great. Plus they charge you $1 a month for extra email addresses.

We tried wireless broadband with Optus last year and it was hopeless - more fade-outs than connection. Luckily I cancelled that within the 30-day cooling off period.
I had Telstra DSL and I can recommend you STAY AWAY. They charged me 250 for the modem (!) and it took them several months to refund moneys owed to me after I cancelled! Bunch of crooks! And yes they counted uploads and I had to upgrade to "Save money". Don't get me started on broadband in Oz.

Good luck!

Old 04-13-2010, 11:56 PM

790 posts, read 1,732,836 times
Also, Whirlpool Forums for all your ISP questions

Old 04-13-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I had Telstra DSL and I can recommend you STAY AWAY. They charged me 250 for the modem (!) and it took them several months to refund moneys owed to me after I cancelled! Bunch of crooks! And yes they counted uploads and I had to upgrade to "Save money". Don't get me started on broadband in Oz.

Good luck!
Yeah, thanks - about the luck - we'll need it. So far, so good. Modem was free. I think they're dragging themselves into the 21st century finally and followed others by not charging for modems.

They messed up on the MessageBank at first but surprised me by giving me a $20 rebate for the trouble they caused.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all remains well.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:00 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times
The other thing that is puzzling me a bit is that I have visited a few sites (e.g. TPG and now iiNet) and when plugging our Optus landline number into the availability test box, it returns "invalid number"/"invalid exchange" or something to that extent....

I am therefore assuming they cannot provide service? Strangely it does a similar thing when on the Optus page (even though they are the existing provider)!

However I can call that number directly and it is currently in use.

I suspect my best plan is to narrow down to a few then call them and have a conversation about this.

I do alos get the impression from the odd random conversation that the big providers (Telstra and Optus) are the worst. Thanks for the feedback so far!

Old 04-14-2010, 12:10 AM

Looks like you'll have to ring them. I entered our landline number into the iiNet website to see if they provided fast broadband coverage here and it came back that it did. So I rang iiNet to set up with them because we had narrowed it down to going with them, based on all the positive feedback from friends. But was told about the special sub-exchange problem from them (iiNet), and apologies that they couldn't do anything for me unfortunately.

Hopefully that's not your case

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:27 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
The other thing that is puzzling me a bit is that I have visited a few sites (e.g. TPG and now iiNet) and when plugging our Optus landline number into the availability test box, it returns "invalid number"/"invalid exchange" or something to that extent....

I am therefore assuming they cannot provide service? Strangely it does a similar thing when on the Optus page (even though they are the existing provider)!

However I can call that number directly and it is currently in use.

I suspect my best plan is to narrow down to a few then call them and have a conversation about this.

I do alos get the impression from the odd random conversation that the big providers (Telstra and Optus) are the worst. Thanks for the feedback so far!
Hi i switched over to TPG ADSL2+ about 18 months ago, and i recall having the same problem with my telstra phone number. Give them a ring and they will explain to you what to do.
I had massive problems getting the service connected and running, (it might be because my own lack of IT knowledge though) I did ring TPG at one stage and asked them to cancel my contract, they said gladly, if i paid an outrageous disconnection fee.
Any way after a lot of headache I got it running smoothly. A good thing about TPG is if you sign up they will also let you transfer your mobile over, I am getting unlimted calls (or up to about $300 per month, which i never go close to using) for $10 per month. They might still have that deal going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand