Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 07:52 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times

Advertisements

Long time NASCAR fan (I saw Lee Petty drive and everybody between him and JJ) but next year I will be going to Indy for the 500 I know it's blasphemy to skip the 600 for the 500 but a friend has good seats(if that's even possible at Indy) so we're going.

Anybody ever disappointed at the Indy 500? I have no favorite driver so I will do as most NASCAR fans do and root for the guy who is the favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 05:43 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Danica will be there!!!

Have a good time! I'd like to get the Brickyard at least once in my life just to see it in person.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:12 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
The race is boring. I've been several times for work. The first time I was in a suite at the start finish line above Gasoline Alley. I was so excited, but 10 laps in I realized that all I was going to see was cars flashing by every 45 seconds or so, until they spread out a bit. After that, I wasn't as excited to go back.

I did post about an experience involving a group of soldiers there that was very touching. I may go see if I can find that post.

But it is a spectacle unlike any other sporting event, and the history of the track is worth going just to be immersed in.

EDIT: From another thread:

At the Indy 500 one year I was working a second floor garage suite, which overlooks the walkway behind pit road. Thousands of fans were walking there, checking out the pits, garages, trailers etc. before the race started. A group of about 50 troops in desert camo were walking towards me, in a loose group amidst all the other fans. Someone started clapping, and it went wild after that. Almost immediately everyone within sight of them started cheering and clapping, and then someone trained a camera on them, which showed up on all the huge screens around the track. The troops, without looking at each other or anyone else, moved into a loose formation, and fell into step, while 300,000 people were on their feet. I could see tears on some of their faces as they went by, as many of us had as well. It was a moving experience.

You should do a search as there have been several threads about going to Indy.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 08-12-2012 at 10:46 AM..

Old 08-14-2012, 11:11 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,829 times
Yeah, the racing sucks at the Brickyard. Poor sight lines, lack of passing oppportunities, hard to figure out how the leaders are because of so many non-competitive cars, etc.

It is more about the experience. Just get there as soon as you can. You might not be able to get within a mile of the Brickyard because of the traffic. I typically park in someone's yard for $10 about a mile away and walk to the track. They have a ton of race memoriabilia vendors outside the stadium, so it is like a memoribilia convention. The infield has the big gift shop, the driver souvenier trailers, and sponsor exhibits. There is also a museum in the infield that will be open. I particuarly like the photograph shop above the museum that sells very high quality photos for framing of every Indy 500 going back decades.

You are also allowed to bring your own food and drinks and beer into the track. A lot of people buy those mini-kegs to fit below their seats and buy food from vendors outside. Inside, there are long lines for all concessions, as they are run by local volunteer organizations and don't know what they are doing.

Ususally, the Wednesday before, they open up the pits and garages for visitors (i.e. without having pay extra for a pit or garage pass) and set up autograph booths for all of the racers. It's pretty cool and they generally are pretty chatty except a couple of stars.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:44 AM

890 posts, read 1,850,071 times
I'm in the camp that wants to go to the 500 just one time to experience it. I've been to the track itself, went to the museum, took the bus ride around the track, etc. The place just reeks of history. While a lot about it has changed over the years, it's still Indy.

I've heard the best places to sit are up high in turn 1, and keep an eye out in the secondary ticket market for deals on those seats. The relatively low attendence in recent years has its benefits for people who are looking for a one-time experience. Hoping to make it there in the next 2-3 years.

On top of that, the local USAC / Wingless sprint cars and other smaller racing events surrounding the area would make it a heck of a week. Don't overlook those events!

Old 08-21-2012, 06:16 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Don't miss the infield museum, great collection!

Old 08-24-2012, 07:40 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,080,558 times
The partying is what yah go for anyways...........enjoy!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing