Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 06:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

Next NASCAR will have Gordon and Bowyer hugging each other on the start/finish line so the viewing public can see that these "role models" have made up.

Someone please answer me this, in Hockey it's expected/encouraged for teams to fight and visit payback upon the other team for the dirty tricks, and KIDS play hockey,families go and watch it and it's all over T.V. with everyone cheering so why is it so bad in NASCAR?
Double standard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 11:33 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
When my brother told me about the fine for Gordon I said, "Dale must think this is awesome! The Wonder Boy is taken down."
Dale always respected Jeff's abilities, and said once he was the future of Nascar. Jeff, on the other hand, said he learned more from Dale than any other driver.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:52 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Dale always respected Jeff's abilities, and said once he was the future of Nascar. Jeff, on the other hand, said he learned more from Dale than any other driver.
All true.

However, it was Dale who gave Jeff the "Wonder Boy" moniker. I'm sure it was for more than Jeff's racing abilities.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
All true.

However, it was Dale who gave Jeff the "Wonder Boy" moniker. I'm sure it was for more than Jeff's racing abilities.
Meaning?

Old 11-18-2012, 01:59 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Meaning?
Jeff Gordon was great when he was young and racing dirt tracks. Heck, even I liked him back then.

Then he came to NASCAR. He had this superior attitude that ticked a lot of people off. For some reason NASCAR decided that Jeff was their "Golden Boy" - he was going to raise the sports ratings.

Somewhere along the line Dale started calling him "Wonder Boy". Now I am not/never was a huge Dale E. fan, so I cannot claim to know why he started calling him that. My best guess is this: NASCAR acted like Jeff Gordon was the next best thing to sliced bread - hence Wonder Bread became Wonder Boy.
(That's my story and I'm sticking to it! )

Old 11-18-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Jeff Gordon was great when he was young and racing dirt tracks. Heck, even I liked him back then.

Then he came to NASCAR. He had this superior attitude that ticked a lot of people off. For some reason NASCAR decided that Jeff was their "Golden Boy" - he was going to raise the sports ratings.

Somewhere along the line Dale started calling him "Wonder Boy". Now I am not/never was a huge Dale E. fan, so I cannot claim to know why he started calling him that. My best guess is this: NASCAR acted like Jeff Gordon was the next best thing to sliced bread - hence Wonder Bread became Wonder Boy.
(That's my story and I'm sticking to it! )
Hmmm, interesting theory. I'd never heard that Sr. called him that, I'll have to ask my son as he may know "the real story" behind it from the people he knows.
As I've said I'm not a Jeff fan, I've been a #48 fan since Jeff/Hendricks put him in the car. That being said I certainly have to respect Jeff's accomplishments both on and off the track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing