Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 01:27 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,563,306 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, I'd really like to watch more NASCAR but it's tough when the race is hardly shown. All the commercials are bad enough but when the race is actually on they rarely ever show actual cars racing for any length of time.

One of the biggest offenders is what I call the "Zoom Zoom" , this is a camera mounted on the side wall at about eye level where you get a blur of cars and hear their engines go by. Fascinating. After a while it's all the same. We all know what race cars sound like , we get to see all the pretty colors, oh my! how fun.

then we have the "gopher cam", a camera imbedded in the race track, this is a variation on the same theme, just looking up, I guess so we can see if they had the undercarriage rust proofing done at the dealership. More zoom zoom and pretty colors.

and then we have "Crank it Up!!!!" , this is the same thing without their commentary, (maybe I should be happy I don't have to hear them talk) I've heard race cars millions of times before, they all sound the same.

and then you have the times when they show an on-board camera of some random driver in 18th place that has no bearing on anything, this is just an ad for whoever's ad is on the dashboard.

and what's with the helicopter from 3 miles away? The cars are dots on the track. You can't see anything. I really wonder why they do this. I know they have the ability to zoom in so the shot would be worthwhile and surely the director knows that at that moment the camera is too far away so why call the 3 mile helicopter shot? I mean , is the director on crack or something? Should fox give him a urinalysis?

it'd be one thing if they'd do the Zoom Zoom once a broadcast, get it out of the way, but Fox does this a bunch of times, same thing with Crank it UP!!!!!!, and the Gopher cam.

Really, I'm not an idiot, I'm not a 4 year old, I don't need constant noise and distractions to stimulate me, I just want to see the racing.

I haven't been a lifelong NASCAR fan, but have followed the sport for about 15 years. There is a lot going on, there is real stuff occurring on every lap. It isn't just guys "making left turns." But you'd hardly know that by watching todays broadcasts.

1997 NASCAR Winston Cup Series Miller 500 - YouTube

Take a look at this NASCAR race from 1997, watch starting at about 11:30 in, this is how it should be, they used to spend longer times actually showing the cars battling for position, but nowadays, even when they aren't doing the zoom zoom they hardly spend much time showing the racing. They need to flip around so often, I know they're scared of people becoming disinterested and flipping the channel so they bounce around all the time.

And certainly you see this style everywhere on t.v., even non-sports programming. It's no wonder our attention spans are so short.

I prefer the older style, I feel like you were actually watching the racing, the moves, the attempted passing. The drafting. Now it's so broken up there's no continuity at all.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 07:04 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,567,603 times
I've noticed this also and it is not just Fox, they are all guilty; camera shots are about the length of a tweet. However I like the "crank it up" feature but I would make one change which would be hanging with each shot for several laps depending on the track.
I can't stand the gyro cam. I have driven a stock car and that is not how the driver sees it going through the turns.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:24 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,877,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post

Thoughts?
Yeah. It was good to hear Eli Gold and Buddy Baker again.

The race coverage? Not so good. Seemed like one big close up shot.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:28 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,877,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I've noticed this also and it is not just Fox, they are all guilty; camera shots are about the length of a tweet. However I like the "crank it up" feature but I would make one change which would be hanging with each shot for several laps depending on the track.
I can't stand the gyro cam. I have driven a stock car and that is not how the driver sees it going through the turns.
Me too and that's exactly how it looks if you're on the banking.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:16 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,082,060 times
Not only horrible camera work but also horrible commentators. I've been following NASCAR for decades but stopped watching coverage on Fox/Speed because I can't stand 'Larry'. But now I see that TNT hired 'Larry' for the rest of the season. Good bye NASCAR. I find the Rolex/Continental sports car series more enjoyable anyway. And I'm now also getting hooked on off road truck races on Speed and CBS sports channel.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I agree they are not good at races. but its better than when I watched F1 long ago. if it was in brazil for example they followed the Brazilian drivers and much of other action was missed. Still same in many countries in F1.Its was fun tho hearing the British announcers hollering at the camera work.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:08 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,563,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Not only horrible camera work but also horrible commentators. I've been following NASCAR for decades but stopped watching coverage on Fox/Speed because I can't stand 'Larry'. But now I see that TNT hired 'Larry' for the rest of the season. Good bye NASCAR. I find the Rolex/Continental sports car series more enjoyable anyway. And I'm now also getting hooked on off road truck races on Speed and CBS sports channel.

doesn't espn take over in a little while? for Sprint Cup I mean.

used to be like 5-6 races on TNT in the middle of the season and then espn the rest of the way.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:11 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,722 times
ESPN/ABC begins coverage at the Brickyard 400.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:54 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Sometimes camera techniques change. It happens to every sport over time. Perhaps if enough people complain, the networks will change. If not, people may no longer watch NASCAR on TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing