Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 10:32 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times

Advertisements

This week is the end of Speed Network as we know it. It is being rebranded as Fox Sports 1 on Saturday. It is losing a good number of motorsports shows. Speed Center and Wind Tunnel have already been confirmed to be on the chopping block. I am not sure what everyone else thinks about the fact we are losing the best way to follow all motorsports.

What does everyone else think about the end of this era?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 11:27 AM

890 posts, read 1,850,429 times
It sucks. More stick and ball coverage - like we need that, and I'm a fan of those sports too. Also, more UFC type coverage...yay.

I'll miss Dave Despain, Bob Varsha and Robin Miller - all of whom had some interesting things to say on the last Wind Tunnel if you didn't see it.

I'll have to rely on youtube and other websites to get my fix of short track racing highlights.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:27 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,658,778 times
Speed Center was a great way to stay current on major Dirt track racing..

Old 08-13-2013, 12:29 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
I also heard that ESPN & Turner Networks are both dropping NASCAR racing, starting next season.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:58 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
If previous FOX F1 coverage is a preview, .

It was disappointing enough to see the team of Varsha, Hobbs, and Matchett broken up when NBCS took over F1 broadcasts, I don'y have very high hopes we'll go upwards from there.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:25 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I also heard that ESPN & Turner Networks are both dropping NASCAR racing, starting next season.
I don't know if that's true but that's one way of putting it when you get outbid by another broadcast network.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
2014 is their last year on the contracts for the ESPN and Turner coverage. It will all be on Fox and Fox Sports 1 and NBC and NBC Sports from 2015 on.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:34 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,585,887 times
I can't believe they killed Wind Tunnel. I really hope someone picks it up. That was the best show they had IMO. Speedcenter was pretty good, too. Like dbbd said, we don't need more stick and ball coverage. Though I will say Speed has gone downhill. I hated the pinks all out, south Bronx parts, and all of that other crap. They even tried pimp my ride for a short time last year. Now I guess it's just victory lane after the race, but they mostly rehash the stuff I heard on the post race telecast and I can't stand Kenny Wallace.

This is just another sign that motorsports is becoming more of a niche with the baby boomers getting older and my generation (I'm 17) not being into cars/racing that much. All I ever hear about is football and basketball with them.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:48 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,580,142 times
Oh well. Their coverage of F1 sucked, the MotoGP coverage sucks, WSBK is non-existant, wayyy too many crappy shows, NASCAR over and over and over....

The channel sucked. FOX can't do much worse. It sucks that we now have ANOTHER stick and ball channel..but oh well. I don't think it will be very successful for them.

IMO, Fox had the opportunity to turn this into a real Gear Head channel and have blown it.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:39 PM

I grew up on motorsports. I start watching mud bogs, truck and tractor pulling and monster trucks in the crib and saw Days of Thunder by the time I turned 4. There are a good number of younger motorsports fans too that I see at motocross, NASCAR, stadium super trucks and monster truck events. I will say it is lower post-recession (but name a sport that hasn't really had a drop.)

I am mad about the programming they are dropping. I can deal without Stacy David Gearz and the car shows that I think are syndicated. I liked My Ride Rules and the early episodes of Dumbest Stuff on Wheels (before they went cute with the graphics) but I think could use some more well rounded sport coverage. However, I wish they would balance it with current coverage of motorsports including SpeedCenter and Wind Tunnel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing