Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 06:13 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times

Advertisements

After NASCAR made an "adjustment" Truex out Newman in.

Driver..........................last five...............avg.

Joey Logano 22.…………….7-1-5-2-22.......... 7.6
Kurt Bush 78.…………….9-3-31-4-2.............. 9.8
Mat Kenseth 20.…………23-15-1-12-5......... 11.2
Ryan Newman 39........14-13-21-5-3..........11.2
Kyle Bush 18.…………….1-31-11-1-13 ......... 11.4
Greg Biffel 16.…………….16-9-9-15-9 .......... 11.6
Carl Edwards 99.…………….4-10-39-18-1...... 14.4
Kevin Harvick 29.…………….13-2-34-9-17..... 15
Clint “spin” Bowyer 15.……6-5-14-39-25..... 17.8
Kasey Kane 5.………………34-7-2-36-18 ........ 19.4
DaleEarnhardt Jr. 88.……30-36-10-8-14....... 19.6
Jimmy Johnson 48.………8-40-36-28-40........ 30.4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 11:20 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,824,328 times
I am new to the sport. First year I have watched. Plus I am a "girl" so don't jump on me if this is a dumb comment. Due to the "adjustment", Carl Edwards didn't really win, but still keeps the win right? If I were Ryan Newman I would be mad I did not get the race (win) money, but at least he is in the chase. I am glad Ryan Newman is in, he really was robbed of that win. I understand why Jeff Gordon is mad too, he was robbed as well, sort of.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I personally see Bowyer has being more guilty than Truex and think he should also be ejected from chase .I like him but fair is fair. But I also do realize this is the first time this type thing has happen even if against the rules .Politics of racing just like F1 enforcing rules on some and not at the top so often.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:13 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
Too heavy handed if you ask me.

Its not like this never happened before.. geez. Whats the difference between the 2nd place car spinning out the 1st place car with a few laps to go vs the 12th place car spinning out.. ? I tell you the difference, the 12 place car didn't wreck anyone else! They are both effecting the outcome of the race and yet one is 'just racin' and the other is frowned upon? really? inconsistent as hell if you ask me.. which no one does.

To be fair, i like Ryan Newman and would much rather have seen him in the winners circle but geez, drivers have been wrecking other cars for years and effecting the out come of races.. Permberton has lost his mind if you ask me.. again, no one does.. i know!

Old 09-10-2013, 02:12 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Too heavy handed if you ask me.

Its not like this never happened before.. geez. Whats the difference between the 2nd place car spinning out the 1st place car with a few laps to go vs the 12th place car spinning out.. ? I tell you the difference, the 12 place car didn't wreck anyone else! They are both effecting the outcome of the race and yet one is 'just racin' and the other is frowned upon? really? inconsistent as hell if you ask me.. which no one does.

To be fair, i like Ryan Newman and would much rather have seen him in the winners circle but geez, drivers have been wrecking other cars for years and effecting the out come of races.. Permberton has lost his mind if you ask me.. again, no one does.. i know!
Cheating and NASCAR have been bed buddies since the sanctioning body was first created. The difference here is how blatant it was. The whole scenario was completely half-baked and the execution was incredibly poor.

MWR didn't even make an attempt to disguise what they were doing. You've got crew members telling their drivers in plain English to throw the race on radio streams that you know damn well NASCAR is archiving and people everywhere have access to. NASCAR had to act or risk further damage to their credibility. There's a huge difference between suspecting someone's cheating and having them announce to the entire world that they are. MWR was reckless and stupid and NASCAR b-slapped them.

Regardless of whether it's jet fuel additive on the intake manifold or blatant team orders, Mikey needs to realize his team really sucks at cheating.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:29 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
I am new to the sport. First year I have watched. Plus I am a "girl" so don't jump on me if this is a dumb comment. Due to the "adjustment", Carl Edwards didn't really win, but still keeps the win right? If I were Ryan Newman I would be mad I did not get the race (win) money, but at least he is in the chase. I am glad Ryan Newman is in, he really was robbed of that win. I understand why Jeff Gordon is mad too, he was robbed as well, sort of.
The only adjustment was that the MWR teams were all docked 50 points from the Richmond race. The outcome of the finishing positions were not changed. This took Truex out of the chase and put Newman in.
The reason Carl won the races is because Menard's took off first on the re start but could not get going and Carl passed him before the start line.
Because the results of the race were not changed Gordon did not have enough points to go ahead of Logano.

NASCAR has always said that they will not change the results of a race but they will deduct points and add fines if necessary.

People can argue all day about who won or didn't win but NASCAR saw it just like I posted.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
The only adjustment was that the MWR teams were all docked 50 points from the Richmond race. The outcome of the finishing positions were not changed. This took Truex out of the chase and put Newman in.
The reason Carl won the races is because Menard's took off first on the re start but could not get going and Carl passed him before the start line.
Because the results of the race were not changed Gordon did not have enough points to go ahead of Logano.

NASCAR has always said that they will not change the results of a race but they will deduct points and add fines if necessary.

People can argue all day about who won or didn't win but NASCAR saw it just like I posted.
Thank you for the clear explanation. I have watched every NASCAR race this season and this one really confused me. I knew Ryan needed the "win" but did not get the "win" but they let him in anyway but Carl still got the "win" but people thought he jumped the start, and Clint's team was saying "does your arm hurt?" and then Clint was claiming he had a flat tire and boy what a confusing mess this one was to a newbie like me!

Old 09-10-2013, 09:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Cheating and NASCAR have been bed buddies since the sanctioning body was first created. The difference here is how blatant it was. The whole scenario was completely half-baked and the execution was incredibly poor.

MWR didn't even make an attempt to disguise what they were doing. You've got crew members telling their drivers in plain English to throw the race on radio streams that you know damn well NASCAR is archiving and people everywhere have access to. NASCAR had to act or risk further damage to their credibility. There's a huge difference between suspecting someone's cheating and having them announce to the entire world that they are. MWR was reckless and stupid and NASCAR b-slapped them.

Regardless of whether it's jet fuel additive on the intake manifold or blatant team orders, Mikey needs to realize his team really sucks at cheating.
So I think there are some drivers who disagree and have said so .When caught cheating you are punished. Did truex cheat ?Did Gordon cheat?Did newman who only wanted a chance to win cheat? Did Bowyer;yes he did according to NASCAR. Who came out best? Bowyer is who and hardly any fan does suspect why know why; a lessor driver would like have been suspended perhaps for indefinite period.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:45 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
Thank you for the clear explanation. I have watched every NASCAR race this season and this one really confused me. I knew Ryan needed the "win" but did not get the "win" but they let him in anyway but Carl still got the "win" but people thought he jumped the start, and Clint's team was saying "does your arm hurt?" and then Clint was claiming he had a flat tire and boy what a confusing mess this one was to a newbie like me!
it does sound confusing doesnt it? when i got my mother interested in the sport, she also was confused early on. like any sport there are nuances that unless you have been following the sport for sometime are tough to recognize. back in the old days of nascar, the late 60s and early 70s in my case, mnay of todays nuances were not there. jumping the start was a non issue because the lead lap cars started on the outside row, and the lap or more down cars started on the inside. the leader still controlled the start, but it wasnt a foul if the lao down car beat the leader to the start line, in fact it was encouraged. now you are going to ask why, and the reason is that the lao down car technically wont beat the leader to the start line because they are not on the same lap as the leader. that lasted until the late 90s as i recall when nascar went to a single file restart with less than ten laps to go. up until that time it legal to change lanes and pass cars as long as you did it on the outside. then nascar gave us what we have now where the leader can choose his lane, and the lead lap cars line up double file and the leader still controls the start or restart, and unless the leader screws up, no one can beat him to the line. usually screwing up means spinning the tires, missing a gear, running out of fuel(it has happened), etc. and as pdd noted, menard got a decent start, but he spun his tires, and drifted up towards edwards, and perhaps even had contact with edwards, at the same time edwards got a good launch, and nascar ruled correctly that menard screwed up.

is that clear as mud now?

Old 09-11-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
it does sound confusing doesnt it? etc. and as pdd noted, menard got a decent start, but he spun his tires, and drifted up towards edwards, and perhaps even had contact with edwards, at the same time edwards got a good launch, and nascar ruled correctly that menard screwed up.

is that clear as mud now?
Yes! Thanks so much! I watched Daytona to see how Danica did and got totally hooked and have not missed a race since. Have not exactly been impressed with Danica. Got hubby hooked but we are still trying to learn the sport. It took me years to really understand football. Now NASCAR and football are on at the same time, so stress, DVRs will be running because we are hooked on both. Can't wait till the race this weekend!

Saw Clint on "NASCAR Now" being interviewed last night. Hmmm....he was dodging the "was the spin on purpose" question. Stood by his original answer (flat tire mumbled answer), but said they deserved the fines and penalities. So in one sense he admitted they cheated but on the other hand he won't admit the spin was on purpose.

I want to see who crashes into Clint first...Jeff Gordon! What does Jeff have to lose...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing