Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 11:41 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
NASCAR was popular before Earnhardt and NASCAR was still popular after his death but you may be on to something. Maybe NASCAR needs another wise guy SOB who pushes everybody out of the way for wins.
TS, Harvick and the Bush Bros. seem to have those qualities but NASCAR seems to like having "nice guys" as their champion.

Nothing wrong with JJ but he doesn't have the swagger that many fans like.
.......what you describe already exists however, the missing key is this person would need the "good ol' boy" stamp of approval from the redneck consortium, otherwise he would be another whiner, a**hole, spoiled brat, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I think NASCARs popularity Peaked several years after Earnhardt passed. I don't think his death had anything to do with slumping attendance we see today. I think the economy is still keeping lots of folks from the track but that doesn't explain TV ratings.

I think PDD makes a good argument about wise guys to root for or against. One of the most exciting races last year was (sorry but i got a case of CSR)...a spring race in which Hamlin got injured. You had the drama between Hamlin and Joey that had started up a few weeks prior and then that race coming down to the end and those guys bumping and wrecking each other was an absolute classic NASCAR ending which I absolutely LOVED. Now Denny getting hurt was a damn shame it really scared me to see him fall to the ground like that.. i hated that and it still gives me shivers but what a great ending to a race.

That's what NASCAR needs, more exciting racing and finishes. I mean how many times are you watching a race and start rooting for a yellow to shake things up a bit. Unless you guy is out front, you are begging for a yellow to create some action. Some tracks are just down right BORING (Indy) and some tracks are freaking awesome (Bristol). Seems like NASCAR could figure out a way to have more races at better tracks and less races at INDY.. to name a few.

My gauge for a great race and ending is determined by whether or not I stand up and get closer to the TV as the race winds down to the final few laps. NOw I know you can't have that every race, but you can always hope.
The sport has peaked and most likely never return to the days of sell outs and high TV ratings, which is not a bad thing really. I think NASCAR lost sight of what the sport really is while pursuing aggressive growth. Unlike stick and ball sports motorsports are more of a niche. I don't fault NASCAR for pursuing growth, but I feel they went too far and tried to do too much. NASCAR did an awesome job in taking the series to the forefront unlike any other motorsports series has ever done. When the powers that be recognize this I feel the series will settle into it's own groove and continue to prosper; just not as the rate it once was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 12:07 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
.......what you describe already exists however, the missing key is this person would need the "good ol' boy" stamp of approval from the redneck consortium, otherwise he would be another whiner, a**hole, spoiled brat, etc.
Maybe NASCAR should enroll some of those non Southerners into reverse diction schools so that our friends and neighbors could understand them when they speak.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
This point system is stupid and let me explain why.

Using last year for an example, David Ragan who won Talledega 1 was 25th in points after being a glorified start-and-park the past two years. Using this year's criteria, he would qualify (30th and lower would not be in.) Using last year's wins, your chase rankings would be this:
  1. Matt Kenseth 5 wins
  2. Jimmie Johnson 4 wins
  3. Kyle Busch 4 wins
  4. Kevin Harvick 2 wins
  5. Carl Edwards 2 wins
  6. Kasey Kahne 2 wins
  7. Joey Logano 1 win
  8. Greg Biffle 1 win
  9. Ryan Newman 1 win
  10. Martin Truex Jr. 1 win
  11. David Ragan 1 win
  12. Clint Bowyer
  13. Dale Earnhard Jr.
  14. Kurt Busch
  15. Jeff Gordon
  16. Jamie McMurray

Note: Tony Stewart and Brian Vickers had the other wins but Tony's injury kept him out and Brian was a nationwide regular Positions 12-16 are on points alone to fill out the 16 spots.

I grew up on consistency and running hard so to this new set-up is a slap in my face as a fan. How could a driver sandbag 23 races and win a plate race and be chase eligible?

In all, I am NOT giving money to NASCAR this next year. Not taking tickets, not going to wear NASCAR appearal, I may not even try to watch it. For the last seven years, I've been a loyal fan watching as many cup, nationwide and truck series races as possible. Now I don't see the point because drivers can win one or two races and sandbag the rest and be in the chase. No emphasis on consistency unless you consistently win. Guess who's done that over the last few years, the #48.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:44 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Maybe NASCAR should enroll some of those non Southerners into reverse diction schools so that our friends and neighbors could understand them when they speak.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:59 PM

156 posts, read 244,903 times
I have been a very loyal Jeff Gordon fan for well over half a decade... and feel like I have just been stabbed in the back by him! He just announced he's in support of this horrible destruction of the championship system!

This may just be the push I need to get over my NASCAR addiction.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:59 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
So basically its like this:

16 top cars in points get into the 10 race Chase.

4 rounds. 4 cars get knocked out after each round (3 races). At Homestead there will be four cars left. First one that crosses the finish line is the Champ.

So basically at Homestead, instead of Jimmy Johnson being the clear winner for his 7th title two races prior to Homestead, there is a stronger chance someone else can actually beat Jimmy.

May actually be worth watching this year IMO.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:08 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
I like JR but this is just too obvious a move by Brian France catering to Jr Nation

• New points system, Earnhardt Jr. would had won championship in 2013: In announcing major changes to the Chase for the Sprint Cup on Thursday, NASCAR chairman Brian France touted an emphasis on winning as a primary reason behind the format. But it turns out last year's champion, if the new rules were applied, would have been #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr., who didn't win a race. According to economist Andrew Maness, who runs the nascarnomics.com site, Earnhardt would have made the final race along with Jimmie Johnson, Kevin Harvick and Jeff Gordon. NASCAR's Mike Forde confirmed the lineup. The driver who won the most races last season, Matt Kenseth with seven, would not have been eligible for the season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway.(USA Today)(1-31-2014)

Old 01-31-2014, 08:07 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,901 times
Wow. And I thought the double points in last race that F1 announce was bad... NASCAR just went full retard.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:26 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Quote:
I like JR but this is just too obvious a move by Brian France catering to Jr Nation

• New points system, Earnhardt Jr. would had won championship in 2013: In announcing major changes to the Chase for the Sprint Cup on Thursday, NASCAR chairman Brian France touted an emphasis on winning as a primary reason behind the format. But it turns out last year's champion, if the new rules were applied, would have been #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr., who didn't win a race. According to economist Andrew Maness, who runs the nascarnomics.com site, Earnhardt would have made the final race along with Jimmie Johnson, Kevin Harvick and Jeff Gordon. NASCAR's Mike Forde confirmed the lineup. The driver who won the most races last season, Matt Kenseth with seven, would not have been eligible for the season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway.(USA Today)(1-31-2014)

Yeah, they're doing all they can just to help Jr. win a Championship. Get a grip...

BTW, I also fall into the category of this new system s*cks, but it's par for the course of how they're trying to kill the sport. I regret even renewing my M'ville tickets this year.

I'll probably watch Daytona and 'Dega, go to the M'ville race (since it's the closest thing that Cup series has to real racing), and then enjoy watching the Modifieds at Bowman Gray and at the Tour stops. That's where the real racing is these days.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
I wonder if drivers were threatened by NASCAR abut surfing out against it. Even Brad who has been an outspoken critic at times, was in favor of the new system. Me I hate it just for the sandbagin teams can do after winning their first race of the year and winning a race or two in the chase to make it into through the rounds and into the finals. No other sport allows for that kind of insanity in the playoffs where a team can finish 20th or so in the league and make it just because they had one win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing