Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 08:06 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times

Advertisements

Probably a good thing for the owners to finally be able to recoup some if their investment.

Just disappointed that the Wood Brothers were left out. Seems some kind of deal could have been worked out to get NASCAR's oldest established team a Charter.

Interesting that Wall street weasel Rob Kaufman is the first beneficiary of selling a Charter. I thought MW racing closed the doors yet Kaufman still owns a Charter (two). I guess that's what happens when you let a NY Wall street-er take charge of the owners alliance.

Kaufman in, the Wood brothers out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 10:46 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Those two charters are being sold.. Stewart-Hass for Kurt Busch's team and Gibbs for Edwards' team.

Cutting the field to 40 cars is the part I'm not a huge fan of. Your short tracks.. Bristol, Martinsville, Dover.. No problem, but.. Intermediate and big tracks..

Wood Brothers would have been in if they had been full time the past 7 years. What I haven't figured out reading through all this yet.. How do the Woods get a charter? Do they have to wait for someone to sell one? Or lease one from one of the 36? I mean.. You figure RCR or Penske might expand down the road.. It still benefits the larger teams, because smaller teams wouldn't be able to afford a charter. You think Carl Long would be able to afford a charter?

Old 02-10-2016, 06:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
cutting the field to 40 cars does make pit road a bit safer in the long run, larger pit boxes, and fewer cars on pit road will help in that aspect.

as for the wood brothers, getting a charter for them should be easy enough, they can buy out another small team that even with a charter is still financially in trouble and needs to sell out.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
cutting the field to 40 cars does make pit road a bit safer in the long run, larger pit boxes, and fewer cars on pit road will help in that aspect.

as for the wood brothers, getting a charter for them should be easy enough, they can buy out another small team that even with a charter is still financially in trouble and needs to sell out.
Not if one of the big teams wants it.. They just do a bidding war until they spend more than the Woods are able.

And.. Something else I haven't seen.. How does this affect the 4 car limit per team? or does it?

FRR 10 years ago was an upstart that is now a legitimate team. Front Row, Tommy Baldwin and BK Racing are desperately trying to get there.

They might be the only one, but I love those stories, and I love pulling for teams like that.

Now, where is a sponsor going to take their money? To someone who is guaranteed a spot in the field or someone who has a shot at 4 spots in the field? Oh, but make that a shot at 3 if a past champion is in the field.

I liked the old 'top 35' rule better than this.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:58 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Not if one of the big teams wants it.. They just do a bidding war until they spend more than the Woods are able.

And.. Something else I haven't seen.. How does this affect the 4 car limit per team? or does it?

FRR 10 years ago was an upstart that is now a legitimate team. Front Row, Tommy Baldwin and BK Racing are desperately trying to get there.

They might be the only one, but I love those stories, and I love pulling for teams like that.

Now, where is a sponsor going to take their money? To someone who is guaranteed a spot in the field or someone who has a shot at 4 spots in the field? Oh, but make that a shot at 3 if a past champion is in the field.

I liked the old 'top 35' rule better than this.
I question why a closed team, MW racing, was given a Charter? Other than to allow Kaufman to sells his shares and he is part owner in another team. Seems like typical Wall Street shyster deal.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I question why a closed team, MW racing, was given a Charter? Other than to allow Kaufman to sells his shares and he is part owner in another team. Seems like typical Wall Street shyster deal.
I agree, but also understand where they're coming from..

First off, the TRUE answer, I think, is that Kaufman was leading the owners council on this.

But.. They did JUST shut down and since the purpose of this is to put some value to team owners.. In a strange way, it makes sense. Especially since he hadn't sold off the points.

Of course.. We could go back a few years and say "Well, why not 'grandfather' charters to Red Bull Racing? Argument, I guess, could be that is now basically Red Bull Racing.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:16 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,828,252 times
I think this charter system is a shame to NASCAR fans. It's all about the money. Now 36 teams, if you buy or lease a charter, are guaranteed a spot in every race. Even if you qualify poorly. Small teams will struggle for those remaining four spots.

Racing?? Nahhhh....SHOW ME THE MONEY...that's NASCAR now.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:44 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,890,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I think this charter system is a shame to NASCAR fans. It's all about the money. Now 36 teams, if you buy or lease a charter, are guaranteed a spot in every race. Even if you qualify poorly. Small teams will struggle for those remaining four spots.

Racing?? Nahhhh....SHOW ME THE MONEY...that's NASCAR now.
I couldnt agree more!!!!!

Old 02-12-2016, 07:48 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,828,252 times
Don't forget the new overtime line:

Quote:
For all three NASCAR national series, a race may be concluded with overtime, consisting of a new procedure for a green-white-checkered flag finish featuring an "overtime line." The location of the overtime line will vary by track.

After taking the green on the overtime restart, if the leader then passes the overtime line on the first lap under green before a caution comes out (a "clean restart"), it will be considered a valid green-white-checkered attempt. However, if a caution comes out before the leader passes the overtime line on the first lap under green, it will not be considered a valid attempt, and a subsequent attempt will be made. If necessary, multiple subsequent attempts will be made until a valid attempt occurs.

Once a valid attempt is achieved (clean restart), it will become the only attempt at a green-white-checkered finish. If a caution comes out at any time during the valid green-white-checkered attempt, the field will be frozen and the checkered/yellow or checkered/red displayed to cars at the finish line.
'Overtime line' part of tweaked G-W-C procedure | NASCAR.com

Old 02-12-2016, 10:27 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
i have mixed feelings on all this, the charter system sounds good, but limits new teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing