Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 10:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
How long have you been a NASCAR fan? Before it was Grand National, Bush or Exfinity it was the Sportsman class.
Different name but same group of underfunded (well they used to be underfunded) teams running companion races to Cup.
actually it was properly named late model sportsman, the key words being late model. they were supposed to be what at the time was called grand national winston cup cars that were a few years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Patrick - Not a good driver.
actually she is a good driver, but she is not a good racer richard pettys words not mine, but i agree with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 06:27 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Without looking, and my memory may be off, but the "Sportsman" series was around in the late 60s, early 70s, up until I think it was 82 or 83 when it became the Budweiser series, which through out the years is what is now xfinity. BUT I do recall a "Sportsman" series in the 90s that used "Cup" cars that were no longer being used or manufactured or something like that??? If Im worng on the 90s part, what were the cars that use to run like at Charlotte before The Winston/The Winston Open, as it was called back then. I distinctively remember these cars, and as I later found out, we had a local "celeb" run in that series.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Without looking, and my memory may be off, but the "Sportsman" series was around in the late 60s, early 70s, up until I think it was 82 or 83 when it became the Budweiser series, which through out the years is what is now xfinity. BUT I do recall a "Sportsman" series in the 90s that used "Cup" cars that were no longer being used or manufactured or something like that??? If Im worng on the 90s part, what were the cars that use to run like at Charlotte before The Winston/The Winston Open, as it was called back then. I distinctively remember these cars, and as I later found out, we had a local "celeb" run in that series.
back when nascar formed divisions, they had the top division being the "grand national winston cup" division, since it was sponsored by winston tobacco. then they had the junior series called the "late model sportsman" series.

the problem came when too many fans, and announcers, kept calling the top series "grand national" and dismissing the series sponsor. so nascar changed the series titles to "winston cup" for the top series, and grand national for the junior series. busch came along a couple of years later to sponsor the series.

in those days the rules for the cup cars was that they be no more than two years old, model wise, and that the grand national cars were basically cup cars that were too old for cup, and they were also detuned so they would not run as fast.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:22 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Unfair advantage would be outspending the competition by many millions.
How is that unfair when there's no spending cap?

Is it unfair when a winning driver is paid more than others?

Quote:
This is what I believe Toyota is doing because NASCAR has no spending cap and Toyota will just outspend until they dominate.
Believe? As in you don't actually know what they're doing? Sounds more like a personal bias against Toyota than anything else.

Quote:
You know just like F1.
You mean where Toyota demonstrated the biggest budget guarantees nothing as far as results?

That F1?

BTW, IF $$$ was the big deciding factor I doubt very much Andretti would've won the title in 1978 driving for LOTUS, Chapman was just smart enough to think of using the air passing under the car instead of trying to block it like everyone else.

Cost?

$00.00

Quote:
There is a reason many fans are unhappy with NASCAR. I am suggesting one brand dominance is keeping fans out of the seats. It is my reason for not buying any tickets this year.
I think there's a whole bunch more than one. I've hated plate racing since its inception and when NASCAR took points earned on a racetrack away from Jr. for something he said in victory circle they convinced me they were no longer about racing but about putting on a show that met their specs, WWF on wheels. IF I want to see/hear PC BS I can watch the buffoons running for POTUS but I sure as hell don't want to see/hear it from a race sanctioning body as in: ' You said a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad word, we're gonna take your points away!'. Curtis Turner et al surely spin more in their graves than they ever did on the track.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:04 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
back when nascar formed divisions, they had the top division being the "grand national winston cup" division, since it was sponsored by winston tobacco. then they had the junior series called the "late model sportsman" series.

the problem came when too many fans, and announcers, kept calling the top series "grand national" and dismissing the series sponsor. so nascar changed the series titles to "winston cup" for the top series, and grand national for the junior series. busch came along a couple of years later to sponsor the series.

in those days the rules for the cup cars was that they be no more than two years old, model wise, and that the grand national cars were basically cup cars that were too old for cup, and they were also detuned so they would not run as fast.

So whats this other Sportman Series Im trying to remember?

Edit: Nevermind, I found what I was looking for.

Last edited by UpstateJohn; 04-20-2016 at 11:15 AM..

Old 04-20-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Is it unfair when a winning driver is paid more than others?
gee, the winning driver getting the larger share of the purse, how stupid is that? NOT!!!

Old 04-21-2016, 06:09 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,875,393 times
An article for all the complainers who post on here, especially the OPeedee who stays pissed for some reason.

How about some great racing with that whine?

Old 04-21-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
An article for all the complainers who post on here, especially the OPeedee who stays pissed for some reason.

How about some great racing with that whine?
great article. we have to remember that things never stay static, there is always change. some good, some bad. but we have to accept that change happens and roll with it. do i miss the old drivers> heck yes i do, but the current drivers are just as fun to watch.

do you like the rule changes? doesnt matter, they are what they are and the teams, as well as the fans, have to deal with them. i like some of the changes, and i dont like some of the changes, but i accept them all and deal with them, much as i had to when i was a crew chief.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:31 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
NASCAR news,

Welcome back Tony Stewart, now here is a $35,000 fine for pointing out another of our rules that makes absolutely no sense.
The use of five lugs per wheel is not mandatory, What could possibly go wrong?

Since I have to pay to get a seat at the track I have a right to complain. I register my complaint by not purchasing a ticket.

I am now one of those fans you see on TV every week disguised as an empty seat.

BTW if anybody is tired of my complaints TFB

Old 04-22-2016, 05:30 AM

956 posts, read 745,254 times
Quote:
NASCAR news,

Welcome back Tony Stewart, now here is a $35,000 fine for pointing out another of our rules that makes absolutely no sense.
The use of five lugs per wheel is not mandatory, What could possibly go wrong?

Since I have to pay to get a seat at the track I have a right to complain. I register my complaint by not purchasing a ticket.

I am now one of those fans you see on TV every week disguised as an empty seat.

BTW if anybody is tired of my complaints TFB
Saying something detrimental or (extremely) negative about the sport is one thing. but when NASCAR censors drivers about safety issues, maybe it's time to find another sport to follow. Maybe I should follow Tony out the door at the end of this season if this kind of BS keeps up. Wake up nascar Fan's aren't hanging around for a reason!!! Look at the stands during the races - the practices - qualifications. This sure ain';t the sport i fell in love with so many years ago!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing