Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 06:37 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times

Advertisements

Wow, this took me by surprise. I always liked the 78 car until it went to Toyota. Hate to see a good team fold though.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mot...cid=spartanntp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 11:24 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
As I said in the 2018 NASCAR thread, it's not really all that surprising. NASCAR's value to sponsors is dwindling as ratings drop and tracks are forced to tear out hundreds of thousands of seats they can no longer sell. At the same time the costs to field a competitive team keep on skyrocketing.

NASCAR's gonna have to institute cost controls and figure out a way to reverse the ratings and attendance declines or this problem is just going to get worse. Within the next decade or so I figure they'll be hard-pressed to get 30 cars to show up on race weekend.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:18 AM

5,212 posts, read 6,147,251 times
We have discussed this on numerous threads over the last several years and the bleeding continues.

NASCAR has to realize it can't continue their current path. While they have been consistently tweaking the format they just can't seem to gain ground with the fan base.

I am down to just watching those races that are on road courses. My interest just isn't there anymore.

As I mentioned on other threads about this topic, I am in my late fifities in a manufacturing facility in the south. My age group at work continues to get smaller and the twenty somethings numbers keep increasing.

These younger employees have zero interest in NASCAR. College football is their passion.

In the late nineties NASCAR was the hot topic at work. Everyone wore their gear and Friday's and Monday's were usually spent debating the weekends racing.

Not to be doom and gloom, but unless they can get the younger generation hooked, NASCAR is going to be on an extremely slow death march.

If Monster Energy does sponsor part time in the future the advertising value of NASCAR is going to take a bigger hit than it has now.

Interesting read from earlier this year. Monster Energy had NASCAR over the barrel with no other sponsors in sight.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davecal.../#25737e7c143e

Just my three cents

Old 09-07-2018, 07:06 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We have discussed this on numerous threads over the last several years and the bleeding continues.

NASCAR has to realize it can't continue their current path. While they have been consistently tweaking the format they just can't seem to gain ground with the fan base.

I am down to just watching those races that are on road courses. My interest just isn't there anymore.

As I mentioned on other threads about this topic, I am in my late fifities in a manufacturing facility in the south. My age group at work continues to get smaller and the twenty somethings numbers keep increasing.

These younger employees have zero interest in NASCAR. College football is their passion.

In the late nineties NASCAR was the hot topic at work. Everyone wore their gear and Friday's and Monday's were usually spent debating the weekends racing.

Not to be doom and gloom, but unless they can get the younger generation hooked, NASCAR is going to be on an extremely slow death march.

If Monster Energy does sponsor part time in the future the advertising value of NASCAR is going to take a bigger hit than it has now.

Interesting read from earlier this year. Monster Energy had NASCAR over the barrel with no other sponsors in sight.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davecal.../#25737e7c143e

Just my three cents
It's almost as I wrote the post above myself.

The mile and half courses are snooze fests. There is some excitement in the super speedways, but not as much as it used to be. Even short tracks are not as fun. I agree with the road courses being the only races really watchable. The only race I watched in full this year was Sonoma.

Young people just don't care for watching racing for 3-4 hours. None of my kids watch other than a few minutes.

To save NASCAR they are going to have to make some painful cuts. Cut out about a third of the tracks and reduce the number of races in a season. The NASCAR season should end on Labor Day. Shorten individual races as well. 2-3 hours max. More night races would be good, especially on a Saturday night. Need to encourage rivalries. Need more "black hat" and "white hat" drivers. Other than Kyle Busch, it seems like all of the drivers are the same.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:09 AM

Here is a good article about all of the teams folding:

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/09...know-too-well/

Old 09-07-2018, 10:24 AM

17,592 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Didn't Osterlund shut down the year after winning the championship with Earnhardt? Ah.. He sold the year after to JD Stacy, Earnhardt left, and the team continued to run another year and a half.. Knew that was a similar situation, but not the same.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:00 PM

Almost forgot that the 48 team is struggling to find a main sponsor after Lowes leaves. It's not helping that Johnson is not having a great season. He may not make it to the top 16 if a new driver wins at Indy.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:27 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
Ally Bank will sponsor the 48 in 2019.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing