Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 13,675 times

Advertisements

I have NJ drivers license but I got speeding ticket in NY I87 while coming back from Canada. I was on 90 MPH in speed zone of 65.
The biggest problem I am facing is there is no address mentioned on the ticket where should I submit the ticket if I plead guilty. Also there is no amount written what I hve to pay?
Can anyone help me what needs to be done? Where can I plead guilty and send my tiket? How many points will I get and approximate fine?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 06:00 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
In New York, the traffic tickets are handled by the local courts, with the exception of those handled by the TVB (NYC and a couple of other counties, but that will not apply to your case). Contact the county court in which the ticket was issued to see how you can proceed. You might benefit from contacting an attorney, or attempting to plead the case, though you're not in danger of reckless in NY State, which is 30+ miles over the limit.

You can also contact the NYS Police: http://www.troopers.state.ny.us/Contact_Us/Traffic_Safety/ (broken link)

From the DMV: http://www.nysdmv.com/dmvfaqs.htm#tickets

And, also from the DMV (to find out the local asgency regarding the ticket): http://www.nysdmv.com/call.htm

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-11-2010, 09:04 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
I've had a few tickets in New York. They don't put the fine on the actual ticket unless it was issued in New York City. You have to mail the ticket in with a plea, and if you plead guilty, they tell you the fine. If you plead innocent, they set up a court date. Or there may be a court date already listed on the ticket, and you can just appear in court on that day if you wish to plead not guilty.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 13,675 times
Thanks for the replies.. I called the town court and they said I am supposed to mail the ticket to court address after which they'll proceed depending on what i plead.
This is my 1st ticket ever so I am planning to plead NOT GUILTY but only problem is court is 270 miles from my residence!! It means spending entire day going n coming back.
I am planning to send a note alongwoth the ticket to see if they can schedule it in district attorney's office if that wud be nearer. Lady at court office said (when i called them yesterday) they sometimes give district attorney's office address to appear. I am hoping i get that.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garima82 View Post
Thanks for the replies.. I called the town court and they said I am supposed to mail the ticket to court address after which they'll proceed depending on what i plead.
This is my 1st ticket ever so I am planning to plead NOT GUILTY but only problem is court is 270 miles from my residence!! It means spending entire day going n coming back.
I am planning to send a note alongwoth the ticket to see if they can schedule it in district attorney's office if that wud be nearer. Lady at court office said (when i called them yesterday) they sometimes give district attorney's office address to appear. I am hoping i get that.
Best of luck. The first ticket is always the worst. By the 3rd or 4th one, you'll be laughing them off....

Old 06-12-2010, 11:13 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
One thing to watch, if you take that trip to Canada regularly is that I have heard that the Troopers can request a car be delayed at the border crossing so they can come and issue you a ticket if you were caught speeding on the way to Canada. They don't engage in a pursuit, since they can just easily catch up to you because of the border. I don't know if it's in practice, but it does seem logical.

I do hope that they can give you an alternate location, since you might get a reduction in fine or points by appearing.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-12-2010, 11:35 AM

660 posts, read 1,653,711 times
No offense, but you were going 90 in a posted 65 zone.

The NY State Trooper will have all the evidence in his favor including things like when his speed detecting apparatus was last certified, the mile markers he clocked you at, etc.

It's going to be awfully tough to beat that. And let's face it....you broke the law. Even if you claim to be only going 80 or 85, that's pretty far over the limit.

You have probably gotten away with speeding many times before. This time, the cops won. When that happens to me, I chalk it up to karma and take my punishment.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:59 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,968 times
I'd just pay it.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
No offense, but you were going 90 in a posted 65 zone.

The NY State Trooper will have all the evidence in his favor including things like when his speed detecting apparatus was last certified, the mile markers he clocked you at, etc.

It's going to be awfully tough to beat that. And let's face it....you broke the law. Even if you claim to be only going 80 or 85, that's pretty far over the limit.

You have probably gotten away with speeding many times before. This time, the cops won. When that happens to me, I chalk it up to karma and take my punishment.
The guy isn't asking how to fight the ticket. He's never gotten busted before, and he's just asking how to handle it from an administrative perspective.

I've driven that road. In good weather and light traffic, 90 mph isn't such a terrible speed. It's definitely pushing the limits, but it's not crazy.

My attitude is, you should definitely take your punishment without complaint if you get busted, but there's nothing wrong with trying to negotiate it down. No reason to pay full sticker price when discounts are pretty easily available, if you're willing to make the trip to court.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:52 PM

18 posts, read 45,100 times
With the economy the way it is, especially NY's economy, I'm betting there won't be much wiggle room for negotiations. I can never figure this out. I'm speeding, excessively, get caught, now how do I get out of it. Huh? Don't speed, cop don't care, can keep reading his newspaper and your not out any money. I go 5mph over at times but usually set the cruise at the speed limit, no place I'm ever in such a hurry to get to.

Besides an accident where I'm the cause of said accident will slow me down more than just going the speed limit, maybe even by a couple years. I hear guys complain all the time at other forums, I got a ticket for spinnin my tires, stop light drag racing, running 60 in a residential 35 and always the same, how do I get out of it, what can I do. No sympathy here, man up take whats coming and move on. I got a ticket for a 50 in a 35 on a country two lane nothing road at 2am, told him I was thinking about some jobs I had going and just let my mind wander off to far and completely forgot about the speed zone. Took my ticket, did my time at traffic school plus the $100 traffic school fee.

Can't seem to find an ounce of sympathy for you, 90 in a 65, that's not something you can just say "whoops" to. You knew you were speeding plain and simple, don't think they should accomodate you either, 270 miles sounds like a pretty good lesson. My wife got a speeding ticket for 15 over, she complained and asked me what to do. I told her the same thing I'm telling you, she got no sympathy either. She went to traffic school, spent an evening doing that and another day in a very busy court room to find out she could go to traffic school. I just laughed at her when she complained, kinda like I'm doing right now thinking about you! Yeah, she said I was mean too.

Good luck and be safe,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive